Defensive handgun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Defensive handgun

Snapper2
05-12-2010, 12:29
I'm in the market for another firearm that maybe I could let my wife and daughters carry if needed. They are not into guns by the way. And in an emergency might not be able to figure out the safeties, so I would like to keep it simple and yet safe. I've been thinking about a G26 or a revolver of some kind. Or maybe the Ruger 380. I know they will still need to know how to shoot the gun but I want to get one they wont feel overwhelmed with. Thanks for any insight,

Mas Ayoob
05-13-2010, 06:29
Since you say they are not into guns, I would definitely recommend a double action only .38 Special revolver. The old saying is absolutely true: "You have to be incredibly stupid to have an accidental discharge with a double action revolver, and only a little stupid for just one second to have one with a semi-automatic pistol."

For the person who handles firearms only occasionally, the swing-out cylinder of the revolver is much more forgiving and confidence-building in terms of routine loading, unloading, checking, and cleaning..."administrative handling," if you will.

Just one guy's opinion, of course...

best,
Mas