Looking for Deer Hunting Rifle Practice Course of Fire [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Deer Hunting Rifle Practice Course of Fire

vafish
05-12-2010, 14:04
We're thinking of running an NRA Shooting Sports Camp at our club this year that is focused on practical rifle shooting for hunters.

I'd like to end the class with a bit of friendly competition and am trying to come up with a course of fire.

Our rifle range has target frames at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards.

Any suggestions?

357glocker
05-12-2010, 21:03
Any way to set up different hunting positions like prone over a pack, shooting off support sticks, from a tree stand, pop-up blind?
How about some deer targets that are placed in "no shoot" angles or likely to hit another deer behind it?

vafish
05-13-2010, 08:04
Tree stand is out of the question on the range baffles would be in the way, but we were thinking about setting up a chair with a rail to simulate shooting from a tree stand. I have a pop up blind so shooting from inside one of them would be easy as well.

We were also considering shooting sticks. Hadn't thought about a hasty prone over a pack. That's a good and practical idea.

We were discussing something along the lines of the NRA Sporting Rifle High Power match which is 8 shots slow fire prone, 8 shots slow fire standing, 8 shots rapid fire prone and 8 shots rapid fire sitting or kneeling. 4 shot strings, starting all strings from standing and move into position. But divide the 4 shot strings up a bit, to allow sticks on one standing string and have one 4 shot rapid fire in kneeling and the other in sitting. Then maybe take one of the 4 shot prone strings and have them shoot from a folding chair to simulate a tree stand.

The main idea is to get people to practice more field appropriate positions instead of just shooting off the bench all the time.

Big Bird
05-14-2010, 07:25
I would focus on standing supported and sitting positions. There are VERY few opportunities for prone shooting in most hunting situations. Not saying there aren't any, But I typically find it unworkable as the brush and grass close to the ground makes its impossible. I would focus 80% of you shooting under 75 yards which is where the VAST majority of animals are shot. I would make an effort to have a moving target inside of 30 yards. Nobody practices shooting moving animals anymore which is a shame as its not that hard to hit a moving deer inside of 35 yards with a bit of training. A good pratice moving target is a tire rolled down a hill with the target tacked to cardboard in the middle of the tire.
Offhand shooting is hard but can be mastered...

In terms of distance targets I would make them lifesize cutouts of deer etc and give them targets at known distance and unknown distance. Just for grins put one or two at 270-280 yards and give them three shots...from any position. It will humble most hunters.

357glocker
05-14-2010, 18:18
You are correct that not many shots are taken prone, but I have shot 2 in the prone position. Both times it has been as I've been walking back to the vehicle during muzzle loader season and saw the deer walking before they saw me. I'd lay down on the trail and wait for them to cross it. Prone would be the only way they would not have seen me before stepping out onto the trail. One was at about 30yrds the other was 126 according to the range finder. But yes, standing or some sort of stationary position (tree stand, blind, or sitting next to a tree) is probably the most common types of shots.

Doesn't sound like he has access to anything over 100yrds, so maybe a scaled down or reduced target to simulate the distance? I've always wanted to try the tire rolled down a hill but controlling it to where the "target roller" isn't down range would be an issue at all the places I shoot. How do you set it up?

I still think a shoot no shoot scenario would be cool to see how many hunters realize the point of the exercise before they put one through the paper.

Big Bird
05-15-2010, 07:31
You are correct that not many shots are taken prone, but I have shot 2 in the prone position. Both times it has been as I've been walking back to the vehicle during muzzle loader season and saw the deer walking before they saw me. I'd lay down on the trail and wait for them to cross it. Prone would be the only way they would not have seen me before stepping out onto the trail. One was at about 30yrds the other was 126 according to the range finder. But yes, standing or some sort of stationary position (tree stand, blind, or sitting next to a tree) is probably the most common types of shots.

Doesn't sound like he has access to anything over 100yrds, so maybe a scaled down or reduced target to simulate the distance? I've always wanted to try the tire rolled down a hill but controlling it to where the "target roller" isn't down range would be an issue at all the places I shoot. How do you set it up?

I still think a shoot no shoot scenario would be cool to see how many hunters realize the point of the exercise before they put one through the paper.

I've made a couple of shots on game from the prone myself. One in the Bavarian Alps across a canyon at a Chamois and another on my farm across a field of freshly mown clover. Those were the exceptions though.

In terms of moving targets. You can set the target up on an angle so the operator is roughly in line with the shooter and the target moves at an angle away from the shooter. I also have no problem with having the target operator working from behind suitable cover. Have shot many hundreds of rifle matches working the pits with bullets passing overhead--the NRA runs the National Matches like this every year for the past hundred some odd years. You could also rig up some form of trolley system. A little imagination and common sense goes a long way here.

In terms of long range...reduced targets are OK but they don't really give you the affect of bullet drop nor wind that you actually get by shooting at those ranges. Most reduced targets make the target smaller to account for those factors but its still not the same as having to estimate range/wind, compensate for bullet drop and drift. To be sure reduced targets are better than nothing but in reality there is no substitute for shooting real distance targets.

vafish
05-15-2010, 19:18
Bigbird,

Longest range we have is 100 yards. We were thinking about starting the camp out with folks shooting rimfires the first day. Rimfire at 100 yards gives you a pretty good experience playing in the wind.

Moving target might be possible, I'll have to think about that a bit. We have some baffles going part way down the range so I don't think I could roll a tire from behind the shooters. Also our range is in suburban area so we are pretty careful about not skipping rounds off the ground and over the berm. But I might be able to rig up a pulley system behind the baffles. Problem could be shooters hitting the posts that support the baffles.

357glocker
05-15-2010, 23:17
Have shot many hundreds of rifle matches working the pits with bullets passing overhead--the NRA runs the National Matches like this every year for the past hundred some odd years.
We used to shoot like that in the Marines on the rifle ranges. Pulled alot of targets! I'm just not too sure many ranges are set up to where rolling a tire across the ground within 100yrds is possible. A pulley system would be the most practical to keep within range rules I'd guess for moving targets.

vafish,
Let us know what you come up with!