Looking for a good folder with specific criteria [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good folder with specific criteria

HKUSP45Css
05-12-2010, 15:17
I'm looking for a folder for EDC but I have a few "must haves" and I'm having some serious difficulty finding one locally. I'd like a fairly heavy duty everyday use kind of knife.

The criteria, in no particular order:

Blade length: 4 and 1/2 inces

Blade type: Spear point, drop point or tanto

Edge: Semi serrated

Opening mechanism: Assisted or flipper

Lock: Liner (though I've seen some other locks which are easily closed one-handed, willing to take recs here)

Body: Metal, not Zytel or other plastic

A big thing for me is that knife is flat, I don't care about wide from front to back but a flat body is a must. I carry in my back pocket with my wallet so a flat knife is better for me to sit on.

Price isn't too big of a deal to me. I'd like to stay under a hunny and if the equipment is good I don't mind inexpensive.

So, expert GTers, what say you.

For comparison, I've carried a Leek for about 10 years and really like it for weight, flatness and quality, the blade length is a bit short though. I really liked the CRKT M16 but, again the blade is too short for my tastes.

I can't carry automatics in Texas, I don't plan to go to San Antonio so lock blades are no problem (in fact, it's a must).

If I left anything out, feel free to admonish my oversight. :D

George Tichbourne
05-12-2010, 16:18
That is some wish list, starting with a longer than normal blade length which will rule out a lot of makers and make selection in your price range difficult.

An all metal frame will give you necessary strength but G10 fibreglass scales will very closely rival titanium frames for strength without the added costs so I would suggest you consider them as an alternative.

As to specific model suggestions I am leaving this thread open for Mr Emmerson Sir to look it over and apply his extensive knowledge of the current market. I am more concerned with the custom market myself and seldom have time to keep up with the factory marketplace.

George

Ernest Emerson
05-17-2010, 16:49
Dear HKUSP45Css,

Have you looked at the Zero Tolerance knives from Kershow? They may have one close to your specs. In regard to the size of your knife the 4.5 inch blade may really narrow your field of choices. Most folding knives with a blade of over 4 inches will produce a tremendous amount of leverage and force against the lock, any lock. Most companies shy away from folders with such big blade partly due to that factor. I am not familiar with all the models found at all the companies as there are thousands of knives and they change models several times a year by adding or deleting models. I would suggest looking at the websites of the reliable knife companies and search their product lines. Do not buy a Chinese knock off or go for a cheap (poorly made) knife as a knife with a blade that large could be a huge risk or a poorly engineered, poor quality knife. Good luck in your hunt.

Best Regards,

Ernest R. Emerson