Machine guns; [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Machine guns;

babarracing
05-12-2010, 17:16
:wavey: I called Jensens in Loveland CO today looking for a KImber pepper blast gun.
While I had the on the horn, I asked if they sold select fire weapons. They Told me since I am a Civilian I can only buy a weapon manufactured before 1984. If this is so where are the best places with longstanding reputations to buy such old guns. Must I buy in Colorado where I live or can I Buy in other states and have shipped to class III dealer here in CO?

Thanking you in advance for your help,
B.R.H.

Zak Smith
05-13-2010, 11:03
Close-- the only machineguns that are transferable to non-SOTs (or government entities) are ones that were registered before May 19, 1986. Thus, there is a fixed supply. The vast majority of transferable MGs are possessed by individuals, and thus would be sold in classifieds, etc. http://www.sturmgewehr.com/ is the most notable forum for the sale of machineguns. There are also some NFA shops that have things in stock- your best bet is to google for them. If they don't have a bad reputation online and sell a fair number of MGs they are probably GTG.

You can buy from an out of state dealer but the item must be transferred to you on a Form 4 through a Colorado Class 2 or 3 SOT (ie NFA dealer such as Jensens).

If the item is on a Form 3 at an out of state dealer, there is one tax stamp involved getting it into your hands.

If the item is on a Form 4 in another state, there are two tax stamps involved.

If it's on a Form 4 in this state, just one stamp is involved and no dealer has to be involved.

babarracing
05-13-2010, 18:55
:supergrin: Thank you for the in depth and understandable reply. Just one question what does the acronym SOT stand for?

Zak Smith
05-14-2010, 10:34
Special Occupation Tax. It is a tax an FFL must pay to become a Class 1 importer, Class 2 manufacturer, or Class 3 dealer of NFA items.

babarracing
05-19-2010, 09:18
:wavey: T H A N K S !