Ubuntu 10.04 success story [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 10.04 success story

TBO
05-12-2010, 19:38
I have an older IBM Thinkpad laptop with XP that I discarded well almost 2 years ago due to buggy issues (mainly the wireless was inconsistent, to the point I put in a PCMA card, which again, was inconsistent).

I tried Ubuntu 9.10 before, but it didn't pick up the wireless (and I didn't want to mess around trying to get it to work, as I'm no tech).

Well, being the curious guy I am, before tossing it out this week (spring cleaning), I decided to try Ubuntu 10.04.

It booted from the disc and the wireless worked!

I did a full install and now have a nice "over the road" laptop that I'm not afraid to lose/abuse/have stolen.

:cool:

IndyGunFreak
05-13-2010, 01:30
That's great.

I've revitalized old hardware more than once. Before I had a wireless network, I needed a PC for a very specific purpose down in my basement(light internet and a spreadsheet). I was gonna build a cheapo PC, but found a complete PC w/ monitor at a pawn shop for $125(HP something).

It was slower than molasses w/ Windows. I installed Debian on it and ran cat6 to it, and it ran perfectly for 3yrs. Power supply went kaput, and by then I had wireless access, so I now I use my netbook in the basement and tossed the old PC. If I'd have known someone that "needed" a computer, I'd have tossed a power supply in it and gave it to them, as it ran fine otherwise.

IGF

Linux3
05-13-2010, 14:19
Great story.
What model Thinkpad, just out of idle curiosity? I have a T23 and that's the great thing about Thinkpads, they never die!