Took a gander at my boat today! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Took a gander at my boat today!

Dennis in MA
05-13-2010, 11:43
The marina is getting my Tracker 14' final-ready for delivery. Probably next week. I hope to have it registered (restricted-use lake) and in the water by Memorial Day.

The trolling motor is mounted. They just need to mount the motor and put in the battery case and I'm good to go.

WOOHOO!!!!

I can taste the fishing at this point. I figure by then we'll be in post-spawn and we're ready for some summer bass fishin.

Headin to Bass Pro this afternoon to grab some last-minute lurrrz.

paynter2
05-13-2010, 17:45
Good man Dennis!

I was going to put my boat into the water today for the summer. But, I didn't get out of the city as early as I wanted to. It was raining when I got home anyway.

Our fishing season opens Saturday - fresh walleye for dinner Saturday night!!!

I've been thinking very hard about a new boat. Mine is now 17 years old. I've put +/- 2500 hours on it and the only time it's been to a shop is for a new impeller. So much for the 'hole in the water...'.

But, as I get a little older I want something a little more comfortable and maybe bigger - for bigger water. I'm looking at a Lund Alaskan 16 or 18 with a 50hp Yamaha tiller.

Good luck fishing in your new boat!

Dennis in MA
06-03-2010, 08:24
And I'm pickin it up TOMORROW!!!!

If I'm really really really lucky, I'll be able to get the mooring in on Sat AND the boat inspected on Sat and be on the water. YEAHBABY!!!!

sawgrass
06-03-2010, 21:50
Congrats!! Happy Fishing.

Pics coming???

Dennis in MA
06-04-2010, 07:09
Soon. Maybe tonite. Tweeked my back last night then fell asleep in teh Lay-Z-Boy. Oh man I'm dyin right now. Might not get it into the water this weekend? :(

I've got to float out a 100lb mooring (+chain) which will be worse than launching this 14 footer. I will be FLOATING it out there - gonna go to Wally World today and get a cheap pool float. I'll set it on that and slice the sucker when it gets over where it needs to be. Still need to watch my toes, tho. ;)

Oh, and I need the boat inspected and pay my $15. More a technicality with a brand new boat and motor.

Hope to have in-water pix soon and FISH pix shortly thereafter.

Dennis in MA
06-12-2010, 11:10
UPDATE:

Boat and mooring went in yesterday. The mooring was 10x easier than I had planned. It's a 100+# rectangular block. I was trying to float it out on a pool raft, but amazingly, 100+#'s isn't as heavy IN the water as OUT OF the water. So after screwing up and missing the raft and dropping it in the water (gently), we just used a 2-wheeler to roll it out 30' from shore. (About 3' of water, give or take.)

The boat was a bit more of a challenge. The lane is narrow and turns are ultra tight. A neighbor helped and drove. We got it in, but WHEW.

The motor is BRAND NEW, which meant it isn't warmed up yet. By the time hour-1 was over, it was running real well. (It originally wouldn't sit at idle at all. Even with the choke open. Grrrr.)

Ditto for my expertise with a trolling motor. I wound up getting a foot-control model - which means it's more geared for a 16-19' fiberglass boat. I never got it above the first speed. Heck, I could have driven home in top gear. LOL So that meant the boat rocked a bit when the motor was engaged. It'll take me a bit of time to get used to it.

Headed out this AM for some fishing with a buddy. Perfect day. 60 degrees. Beautiful sunrise. Was fishing under a juvie Bald Eagle hunting. We caught 14 fish. 2 Lg mouth, a Sm Mouth - all of decent size, a small perch, 4 18"+ Pickerel and a mess of smaller pickerel. All in about 3 hours of fishing. (We used Yum Dingers rigged weedless into reed and grass beds.) Also saw a ton of baitfish rising. As a reformed saltwater angler, I kept casting to them, and having 4" fish try and eat a 5" worm. LOL

What a treat.

No pix - forgot to put out the camera last night before I went to bed. Next time. . . which won't be until next weekend b/c of weather and other commitments. :(

duncan
06-12-2010, 18:46
So what can you do with the pickerel?

Dennis in MA
06-12-2010, 19:46
I tossed it all back. My cabin is being used by friends right now for the week. We were just messing around.

I'm not sure what to do with pickerel, but I'm sure it's edible.