Is the gun/ammo "test" premise fundamentally flawed? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is the gun/ammo "test" premise fundamentally flawed?

Norske
05-13-2010, 18:28
Mas:

There is another thread currently running whereby the OP insists that gun/ammo combinations must run even in a "limp wrist" configuration.

With respect, I'd like to suggest that in the case of the Glock the "test" is fundamentally flawed.

Over the years, I have attended and ROd many GSSF matches. These often attract families, whereby several family members may use the same Glock & ammo combination.

On many occasions, I have seen a 9mm Glock/ammo combination run just fine when run by the father or other full adult male. However, failures occur when a female and/or young teenager try to shoot the combination. The ammo is more often than not 115 grain Winchester "White Box" FMJ, or similar ammo from other manufacturers. On several such occasions I have stepped up and offered one of my own magazines, usually loaded with CCI Aluminum Blazer (a hotter load) and said female or teen proceeds to empty the entire mag into the berm with no problems whatever.

At Pensacola one such family/individual was having such problems along these lines that I supplied one of the Teens with enough of my own match grade "Black Box" Atlanta Arms 124gr 9mm HPs to shoot an entire division. That teen subsequently shot the entire division without another gun/ammo failure.

These are all short recoil-operated firearms. To function reliably they require mass (barrel/slide) to operate in opposition to other mass (frame/shooter). Sometimes, as above, the answer is to switch to hotter ammo and/or with heavier bullets to give the gun more energy to work with. But there have to be some limits.

"Ya don't get somethin' for nuttin". :supergrin:

Clearly, there is very little mass in the Glock frame! It has the advantages of light weight, low maintenance, and all the rest. But it simply does not have the mass you get in a gun with a metal frame.

The Glock, by it's very nature, requires the "mass", the resistance, to be supplied by user since the frame, by it's very nature, cannot.

I suggest that if the OP feels that functionality is absolutely imperative even in a "limp wrist" condition, that Glocks and other polymer framed handguns are by their fundamental nature simply not suitable for him?

:dunno:

Stay safe, Brother.

Mas Ayoob
05-13-2010, 21:35
Good luck with finding a semiautomatic pistol that will NEVER jam with a limp wrist. The nature of the beast is that the slide needs the abutment of a firmly held frame to run against, or it is susceptible to running out of momentum before completing its cycle. It has been theorized that since a polymer frame can flex slightly during recoil, it is more susceptible to this phenomenon. If one needs a handgun that is totally immune to "limp-wristing," one probably needs a revolver.

Thanks for your service to other shooters as a range officer for GSSF, by the way. I enjoyed heck out of you folks' last match in Pensacola and look forward to competing there again.

best,
Mas