Talk me into or out of the Lone Wolf G20 Tactical Slide [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Talk me into or out of the Lone Wolf G20 Tactical Slide

lunker
05-13-2010, 19:44
I was on the fence about getting the Tactical (5.25") or the Longslide (6") and ordered a Lone Wolf G20 tactical slide (1911 length) and barrel. I realized afterwards that I should've had the guys at Lone Wolf blacken the slide (I hate stainless guns). Since I am sending it back anyway, is there a good reason for me to have them send me back the 6" longslide and barrel? If the 6" slide, the sold or the regular with the cutout?
This is a woods gun and a fun range gun. Am I getting anything extra in performance from the extra 3/4"? Does the longer slide affect balance badly? Would it make it unwieldy drawing it from a holster? I know I like the feel of my Glock 34 better than that on the 17L. Anyway, thanks in advance for the input.

_The_Shadow
05-13-2010, 20:51
There is something to be said about the slightly longer sight picture of the longer guns, but I've gotten quite profficent with my G-29 with the 3.78" barrel.

Some modifications can be helpful a long as if they work first time every time. If you experience any problems I feel the mods aren't justified. With that said I have some conversion barrels which have provided great accuracy and the use of 40S&W ammo which is more readily avallible for handloading than the 10mm brass. This allows the same sight picture with economical ammo to shoot more often.

Good luck with your decision!

leadslinger13
05-14-2010, 09:48
to be honest with you I don't get the tactical length in the first place. Its in between the stock and long slide length......to what end. If i were going longer then stock then i would just go with the long slide anyway. I can't see where it would make any more of a weight differential from tactical to long slide. If its sight picture then the long slides will be better, perceived recoil for hot woods loads should be less, drawing from holster would probably take the same amount of retraining and i think the added FPS is about a realistic 50 fps per inch. JMHO

lunker
05-14-2010, 11:41
to be honest with you I don't get the tactical length in the first place. Its in between the stock and long slide length......to what end. If i were going longer then stock then i would just go with the long slide anyway. I can't see where it would make any more of a weight differential from tactical to long slide. If its sight picture then the long slides will be better, perceived recoil for hot woods loads should be less, drawing from holster would probably take the same amount of retraining and i think the added FPS is about a realistic 50 fps per inch. JMHO

So...
I called Lone Wolf (really nice guys to deal with) and told them I would like to exchange for the solid longslide. No problems. I will ship mine back tomorrow. They will ship my new one on Monday.

Dave T
05-14-2010, 13:29

The Practical/Tactical Glocks were originally introduced to fit in a 1911 size box that met an IPSC requirement for competition. Not sure if IPSC still uses that box for some classifications or not. I haven't shot in competition for some time even though I do have a G20T.

Dave

Meathead9
05-14-2010, 15:46
I put mine together for hunting and long range fun too. I think if you have the ability to change your order, I think you should. Everyone I've talked to that went with the G20T, wishes they had gone with the G20L. The .75", G20T vs G20L, doesn't sound like much, but it's more than the difference between the G20 vs G20T. The longer sight radius makes a HUGE difference for long range shooting. I can't see a reason not to go with the longslide if you're going to buy an aftermarket extended length slide, and don't shoot competition.

I got one with the cut-out, so I have the option of using a ported barrel. I think the solid top is more of an aesthetic preference, and I'm guessing adds even more weight to the front. They do look nice though. LWD only made a limited number of them, so even if you wanted one, you may be out of luck.

Here's mine:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/G20L4.jpg