Car/truck gun options [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Car/truck gun options

jack76590
05-15-2010, 21:46
Right now I wear a glock IWB under untucked polo. Really comfortable and easy for me in casual dress. As retiree I am usually casually dressed. Been recently carrying an additional gun- airweigh J frame in weak side pocket using FIST kydex pocket holster. Works well. Never could find a shoulder holster I liked.

But neither is really accessible when I am behind the wheel. I also should mention I wear IWB at about 4 o'clock, further forward does not work for me. I have thought of two basic options with many sub options.

Basic options are

1. Move the J frame to some location in the car, when I get in, put back in pocket holster when I exit vehicle

Pro - Don't leave gun in the vehicle
Con - Have to switch gun around everytime I get in and out

2. Dedicated car gun (but would take out at night)

Pro - no moving gun around when get in and out of vehicle
Con - concern about theft, not really money, but liability.

Also interested in any ideas on type of gun, holsters, cabinets, etc. Even wonder if this is one place a gun with internal lock may have some benefit.

Sorry for open ended question, but interested in your ideas. Thanks.

Mas Ayoob
05-16-2010, 02:29
First couple of suggestions, Jack --
1. Using unloaded or dummy gun, practice drawing from 4 o'clock hip holster by rocking your shoulders left and perhaps slightly forward. If seat belt is trapping untucked shirt, pull it up and out over the seat belt each time you buckle up. This will allow easier clearance.
2. Try moving the backup Airweight from side pocket to left ankle, butt to the rear. Should be very accessible from seated position.
Give those options a try, and post back as to how they worked out for you. It will save you moving guns in and out of the car.
best,
Mas

jack76590
05-16-2010, 18:38
Thanks for response. I often wonder how often you would really need to draw while behind the wheel. Better to use vehicle as weapon. But possible, if stuck in traffic or especially if parked with engine off.

I have purchased dummy mini glock. Will have to practice technique you outline. Is really nice to have a garage for stuff like this.

I also bought ankle holster. A cheap one to try out this carry method. A desantis apache model for my J frame airweight. Did not like how it felt, maybe a better one would work. But I have read were long term users of ankle holsters suffered some medical problems down the road. So I have concerns in that area and while I would use short term in special circumstances, these reports as well as my limited negative experience give me pause.

Of course maybe this is all result of cheap equipment. Do you believe quality rig would both feel better and make medical problems less likely? Brand name suggestions appreciate.

What I would really like is what I saw on friends Silverado pickup. A locking compartment between two front bucket seats. Can leave unlocked when in car so only have to flip up lid. And then lock lid when leave car. But stuff like this is hard to retro fit in existing vehicles. Also appreciate suggestions for aftermarket locking compartments, if you know of any good ones. I have a secure it but this quite different and does not allow drawing of the gun - for locked storage only.

Other option is a magna ring conversion. I doubt if anyone who stole the gun would be able to figure out how to use it. At least quickly figure out. So this might be an option for leaving a revolver in the vehicle. But it could be an expensive loss. Plus I don't like wearing rings.