Got a virus on my desktop [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got a virus on my desktop

sigman69
05-16-2010, 21:29
Hello, I got a virus on my desktop...I am going to reformat everything to take care of it but I did have CA Security suite on my computer(came with my time warner cable package)..running vista 32 bit and was wondering what Security software everyone recommends. I havent had this issue before but my son was playing online and got it I believe. I was hoping I could get a good one online and if so could I run different ones so if one doesnt pick a virus up the other one might catch it.

Also is firefox have more security features than IE? If so I will download it and start using it.

Thanks,

John

TBO
05-16-2010, 21:58
http://www.sandboxie.com/

Steve in PA
05-16-2010, 23:00
I run Avast and Malwarebytes on my Vista laptop. No complaints or issues.

Pierre!
05-17-2010, 18:41
I run Avast and Malwarebytes on my Vista laptop. No complaints or issues.

I am liking the Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes myself... Windows 7, Vista, and XP Pro...

I have Avast on the Win7 Media box, and it does fine!

GIockGuy24
05-17-2010, 19:03
Microsoft Security Essentials works about as well any of the good antivirus programs. It's easy to use and free.

TnShooter83
05-21-2010, 00:27
Avast Home Free Edition, and Malwarebytes Free Edition on my personal PC.
I've used about all the Free stuff out there on other PC's.

Aviri Antivirus is one of the best out there, I use it on a Startup Disk Scan for PC's that
have all ready become infected.

Microsoft Security Essentials is very good also.

I've just stuck with Avast and MBAM since I've been using them for 2.5 years now
and not been infected. I also use FireFox for what it is worth.

Linux3
05-21-2010, 21:16
Lecture #127
There is no such thing as anti virus, malware whatever software.
How it works is CA or whomever discovers a a new virus or whatever in the wild. They analyze it, see what it installs where and note it's signature.
They then add this information to the list of malware they already check for and send you an update.
You download and install the update and scan your system.
It's not an anti virus package rather an application to look for known types of "bad stuff".
And there in lies the problem. From when the virus is released into the Internet until you download and run a new update you are vulnerable.
You can be running the finest most expensive anti virus package available and you can still get all kinds of bad stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-day_virus