930SPX Updates? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 930SPX Updates?

F_G
05-17-2010, 06:32
I ordered my 930SPX a month and a half ago and still haven't received it. It's not like I'm in a hurry or anything, but it got me to wondering whether Mossberg might have suspended production to address all the "issues" they've had.

It seems all the errornet chatter is close to 50/50. "It's the best shotgun I've ever owned", "80,000 rounds and I haven't even cleaned it yet" on the other side, "Handles full power 00 fine, but won't reliably cycle Walmart stuff", "Fell apart in my hands when I took it out of the box", "Front sight soldered on the bottom of the barrel".

I know a few have them here, Mixflip did a very good evaluation. So how has your 930 held up? You guys should have combined for several thousand rounds by now. Let me hear what you think after living with the beast for awhile.

Why am I so enamored with this shotgun? First off I've never been much of a Mossberg fan. But I shoot lefthanded and an auto shotgun with a tang mounted safety entrigues me. I have an 870P and Benelli M1 Super 90, but both have trigger guard mounted safeties. I have the 870 switched to left hand, but it worries me when my kids or friends use the gun that they are walking around with the safety off, and heaven forbid they need it for a "situation" and flick the safety on, instead of off, rendering it useless.

So what say ye 930 owners? Yea or nay?

AC45ACP
05-17-2010, 07:44
Well I have around 275 rds threw mine and only 4 FTE and those were on Winchester target loads from walmart 7.5 and #8 shot and the all happend after 50 plus rds shot down range. 00 and slugs went 100% and 96+% on cheap target ammo works for me!
I have a few pics on another thead if you look it up I have a picture of a target that I got two head shots in a 100yds standing. pretty quick I would say both shots in under 2 seconds. So I'm happy with mine so far.
I may change the Camo :)

frankr
05-17-2010, 11:15
Iíve hit the 1,000 shell mark through my 930 SPX with out one malfunction. Iíve shot my share of 1 oz slugs and 9 pellet 00 buck, but most of the shells Iíve put through my 930 SPX are the 100 shell Remington target load vale park from Wal-Mart. As far as Iím concerned for the money you can not beat the 930 SPX. At our 2 gun matches my 930 SPX has functioned as good if not better than shotguns two and three times more than what I paid for 930 SPX.

F_G
05-17-2010, 21:01
AC45ACP & frankr, thanks for the replies. But are you 2 the only guys using and abusing this particular weapon? I know I've seen more than 2 guys discussing this shotgun. What has been your experience up to now?

frankr
05-18-2010, 03:05
There are a number of 930 SPX owners on GT that having nothing but good things to say about their 930 SPX. mixflip has a number of reviews and instructional video’s about his gun on Youtube. Most of the problems with the 930 SPX you may have heard about were do to the owner not knowing the gun. First thing after you receive your gun is to read the owners manual and review mixflip’s video on field stripping and reassembly of the 930 SPX. During this process give the gun a good cleaning. By now you will be familiar enough to go to the range. Start of with some high brass hunting loads, then a few 00 buck to feel the recoil. Then load her up with some low brass Dove loads or target loads and have fun. I shoot the Remington value pack or Remington Dove loads from Wal-Mart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKpNy2AZzN4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vclvnZo_VoY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9uNbc03UYI&feature=related

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

skynyrd1911
05-18-2010, 08:19
I've had mine awhile now and it has functioned almost flawlessly. I have only put about 300 rounds through it to date. The only shells that I had ANY problem with was some Winchester military surplus buckshot. OD green hulls in plain brown boxes. I have fired Winchester high brass, Remington economy shells #6's from WalMart, Federal 00 buck, and Winchester "RackMaster" slugs. The RackMasters are designed to be used with a smoothbore or rifled barrel. The military surplus 00 buck empies hung up a couple of times ejecting. Not bad just plucked them out with my finger. May shoot it some more after reading this thread. :wiggle:

frankr
05-18-2010, 08:46
I've had mine awhile now and it has functioned almost flawlessly. I have only put about 300 rounds through it to date. The only shells that I had ANY problem with was some Winchester military surplus buckshot. OD green hulls in plain brown boxes. I have fired Winchester high brass, Remington economy shells #6's from WalMart, Federal 00 buck, and Winchester "RackMaster" slugs. The RackMasters are designed to be used with a smoothbore or rifled barrel. The military surplus 00 buck empies hung up a couple of times ejecting. Not bad just plucked them out with my finger. May shoot it some more after reading this thread. :wiggle:

The only home defense shells I keep in my gun our the ones I know will function 100%. Remington 00 buck or Winchester 00 buck for my home defense. I also know the patter I will get with the rounds at a number of determined distances within my house. All other shells are for fun shooting. Keep shooting and stay safe.

mixflip
05-18-2010, 12:08
Hey FG, I think with any new firearm product you will have some growing pains with first run models. I have heard of the slight off kilter front sight issue on a few first run models. From what I have read Mossberg identified the issue at the factory and rectified it immediately and if you accidentally get one they ship you the fixed product asap? From what I heard anyways? I have also heard that if you look at it from the muzzle you can actually spot the defect in the gun shop before you buy it? You just have to be diligent and meticulous.

On reliability of shooting cheap low brass ammo? Mine has ran cheap ammo like a water. (I should pattent that phrase since I use it so much when talking about my 930 lol)

I know Frank has also had great results with cheap ammo so my data says we got a good gun. If a 930 isnt running right all I can say is, did you clean it properly before breaking it in? Or are you shooting it from the hip or over your head with cheap ammo? The 930 does need a solid shoulder to recoil off of with low brass birdshot ammo. With 00-buck it should cycle from any position? Almost any semi-auto shotgun needs that though and its not just a 930 issue.

The sights! OMG, they are awesome for long shots. I will never claim to be a great shooter but the GRS made me hit stuff at 75 yards with a slug with ease. One of my videos shows me hitting a 2x6 plank at about 75 yards without zeroing the factory sight. I am sure not all 930's are that good out of the box but mine was so thats what I reported in my review. I dont think I could do that as easily with my bead sight 590. Realistically I will not being taking long shots with my shotgun but at least I have the option in a SHTF scenario to drop in a slug and take one if I need one? The option is nice and a shotgun is probably the king of versatility.

I'll do an update/progress review video probably this weekend since I am creeping up on 1000 rounds myself. This time I'll try some run & gun stuff with some weapons transitions, shooting from odd angles, reloads and verbal commands to some imaginary bad guys???

AC45ACP
05-18-2010, 16:48
Well Went to the Range the other day and shot a few slugs and about 50rds of winchester 7 1/2 shot target loads. I had two FTE once again sprayed a little Remoil in the chamber and She was GTG. I also ran that thing now stop for over 50rds of Bird shot and 00 buck and about 15 slugs before I had the FTE. The slugs and 00 Buck run flawless So I'm happy with that, because thats
how it sits..

Mixflip,
I love the Video's I watched them about 50 times before they finally convinced me to Buy a SPX!!

The 223 holes are form my buddy sighting in his Aimpoint. The slugs Hit a little high and the second one a little right, But not bad from 100yrds with the point of aim at the top of the 8 ring and standing, (off hand).... I'm not the Best shot in the world, but Slugs in the head of the target at 100yd mark standing makes me love this gun even more!!

Here Piggy, Piggy..........

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz355/ac45acp/guns/SLUGS100YARDS.jpg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz355/ac45acp/guns/spx2.jpg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz355/ac45acp/guns/RiflesCamo.jpg

mixflip
05-18-2010, 18:42
Some guns may need more break in than others maybe? Interfacing metals do get better in time usually. Hopefully thats all it is?

F_G
05-18-2010, 20:04
Hopefully I get as lucky as Mixflip and Frank. Thanks for the insight guys.

frankr
05-19-2010, 03:08
Hopefully I get as lucky as Mixflip and Frank. Thanks for the insight guys.

F_G the more you shoot the better your gun will function. The next time you take it to the range stop by Wal-Mart and for around $25.00 pick up a box of the Remington 100 shell value pack. My 930 SPX will eat them all day.

Good Luck and Stay Safe

F_G
05-19-2010, 07:00
F_G the more you shoot the better your gun will function. The next time you take it to the range stop by Wal-Mart and for around $25.00 pick up a box of the Remington 100 shell value pack. My 930 SPX will eat them all day.

Good Luck and Stay SafeWell, it won't be the next trip, but my first trip:supergrin:. I didn't actually have my SPX yet, but I picked one up last night from a local guy supposedly NIB and it looks it. Long story short, this was a new replacement from Mossberg after his original made 4 or 5 trips back to Mossberg and still wouldn't function, he was so disenchanted he didn't want to risk another dissappointment. Oh well, his loss, my gain (I hope:upeyes:). Probably won't be able to get it out until Memorial Day weekend, I'll post a range report then.

Oh yeah, the best part is I picked it up for $525.

Thanks again for all the helpful insight.

frankr
05-19-2010, 11:00
Sounds like a great deal. Remember give it a good cleaning then a very light coat of good gun oil. Remember to clean the magazine tube.

Good Lock

ScrappyDoo
05-19-2010, 11:12
I love mine. Like, I got the info / idea / etc from
right here on the shotgun forum of GT, stumbled upon on on Super Bowl Sunday, and it will NEVER get sold / traded / etc.

In fact I like mine so mch i am considering getting my Old Man one for his 60th in a few months. Just for kicks I may grt him a 930 and customize it somehow so we don't have matching boomsticks. It looks like there are some 930 options /
models available.

In fact I like mine so mich I want another mossberg 500/590 just on general principle.

m24shooter
05-19-2010, 18:33
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?167-Mossberg-930-SPX-Review

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/930%20update/930saddlemodwm.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/930%20update/930spxwm.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/930%20update/portsfrontright.jpg

ScrappyDoo
05-19-2010, 18:42
Now I have a far out far fetched question. Is there any such thing as a foreend foregrip/handle/post like for the front end , like AR-15's often have ? Now that would be tacticool!

m24shooter
05-19-2010, 19:03
You could get a railed foreend and put a VFG or something like the Magpul AFG on it. I'm getting ready to do a review on this:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/ETA%20gear/rhino930profile.jpg

and you could put one on it. There will be another railed foreend available soon that I am hoping to do a review on as well that is much smaller and lower profile.

F_G
05-19-2010, 20:59
m24shooter, your 930 looks like mine will soon. Rode hard, but well taken care of. Any updates after living with the beast for awhile?

OK first issue with mine after I got it all cleaned and lubed up. Can only get 6 shells in the magazine. 7th will go almost all the way, but just misses clearing the shell stop by maybe a 1/16 of an inch. Magazine spring seems inordinately long. Any ideas before I tear into it?

AC45ACP
05-19-2010, 21:22
M24shooter,
Is that the bulldozer rail!?
I need one I just can't bring myself to drop
$399 for a SD shotgun

frankr
05-20-2010, 03:38
Some owners have replaced the stock magazine follower with a safety orange S&J (No Jam) magazine follower. The only problem with using one is your reduced from 7 to 6 shells in the magazine tube. Check your magazine extension for any obstructions. I had read that someone else was having this problem and a reader responding to his post sent him a picture of about six 12 gauge 2 ĺ shells all with different lengths. I wish I could find it. Maybe M24shooter has seen it? The only time I was unable to get more than 6 was when I loaded my magazine tube with 3 inch shells and thatís the way the gun is designed. I canít for the life of me figure out why you can on load 7 in your magazine tube. Can you post a picture of your gun? Other than that let us know how it shoots when you get to the range.

I have a question for M24shooter. On the Mossberg web site they say that all 930 autoís that come from the factory with the magazine extension have a 7+1 capacity. All others are 4+1. If someone purchased a 930 without the magazine tube, letís say like the Home Security model, replaced the barrel and added a 2Ē shell magazine tube extension how many shells would the gun hold? Iím lost.

F_G
05-20-2010, 07:41
Some owners have replaced the stock magazine follower with a safety orange S&J (No Jam) magazine follower. The only problem with using one is your reduced from 7 to 6 shells in the magazine tube. Check your magazine extension for any obstructions. I had read that someone else was having this problem and a reader responding to his post sent him a picture of about six 12 gauge 2 ĺ shells all with different lengths. I wish I could find it. Maybe M24shooter has seen it? The only time I was unable to get more than 6 was when I loaded my magazine tube with 3 inch shells and that’s the way the gun is designed. I can’t for the life of me figure out why you can on load 7 in your magazine tube. Can you post a picture of your gun? Other than that let us know how it shoots when you get to the range.

They were all 2 3/4" shells and I even tried several different manufacturers. It almost feels as though the mag spring is just bottomed out. I took it all apart, made sure the spring was seated in the follower (it's the original steel one), cleaned the tube again and checked the extension for dents, obstructions, etc. This is supposedly the latest production run, maybe they reduced capacity to 6+1? My 870 is 6+1. While 8 rounds of 00 are nice, 7 can be pretty effective too. I'll try and call Mossberg today and see if something changed.

frankr
05-20-2010, 11:51
They were all 2 3/4" shells and I even tried several different manufacturers. It almost feels as though the mag spring is just bottomed out. I took it all apart, made sure the spring was seated in the follower (it's the original steel one), cleaned the tube again and checked the extension for dents, obstructions, etc. This is supposedly the latest production run, maybe they reduced capacity to 6+1? My 870 is 6+1. While 8 rounds of 00 are nice, 7 can be pretty effective too. I'll try and call Mossberg today and see if something changed.

F_G I bought mine about 6 months ago and the Mossberg web site still calls for the 930 SPX to have 7+1. When you call ask them if they have ever had this problem before. For home defense I keep the chamber empty with 5 rounds of 00 buck in the magazine. But thatís not the point. It should hold 7 in the magazine tube. Can you put 7 in the magazine tube without the spring and magazine follower in? Sorry just a stupid thought. Let me know what Mossberg has to say.

F_G
05-20-2010, 13:34
Can you put 7 in the magazine tube without the spring and magazine follower in? Sorry just a stupid thought. Let me know what Mossberg has to say.
Actually, that's not a stupid thought at all. I will take the spring out tonight and see if I can get the follower and 7 shells in, if not the follower is most likely hanging up on something and if so the spring is bottomed out. Frank, you're brilliant. :cheers:

2 Hawks
05-20-2010, 20:41
Well I just got back from the range, , had a factory replacement barrel due to the front sight not on straight. It was canted to the left. The new barrel is also canted to the left but not as much. Still using way to much rear adjustment to get it zeroed at 50 yards.
The rear sight is also high on the left from just tightening it. Going to call Mossberg tomorrow. You guys been lucky to get the straight ones..

m24shooter
05-21-2010, 07:53
m24shooter, your 930 looks like mine will soon. Rode hard, but well taken care of. Any updates after living with the beast for awhile?
I'll have an update to the review soon. No major problems with functioning or anything like that. It cycles everything I've put through it.
OK first issue with mine after I got it all cleaned and lubed up. Can only get 6 shells in the magazine. 7th will go almost all the way, but just misses clearing the shell stop by maybe a 1/16 of an inch. Magazine spring seems inordinately long. Any ideas before I tear into it?
Not all shells are created equal, and some have slightly longer lengths, meaning between different loads and sometimes between different lots you might only get 6 rounds in, while you can get 7 with others.
Barring that, you could have a long mag tube spring, although that usually happens with aftermarket extensions. However given some of the QC problems that Choate has they may have sent long springs to Mossberg with their extensions. I know it has happened with direct orders so why not.
Also if you use an aftermarket follower with a tail it will usually cost you one round of capacity.

M24shooter,
Is that the bulldozer rail!?
I need one I just can't bring myself to drop
$399 for a SD shotgun
Yes it is, from Elite Tactical Advantage. I am reviewing it, and it will be part of the update. I will also be reviewing another rail over the summer.

I have a question for M24shooter. On the Mossberg web site they say that all 930 autoís that come from the factory with the magazine extension have a 7+1 capacity. All others are 4+1. If someone purchased a 930 without the magazine tube, letís say like the Home Security model, replaced the barrel and added a 2Ē shell magazine tube extension how many shells would the gun hold? Iím lost.
Yes, you could do that. If you weren't wanting the LPA sights, or didn't want to mess with the chance of messed up sights, or wanted to start off with a better quality extension I would go with a Security model and just get a Nordic. Several people have done just that.
As far as a 2" extension, that would only increase you by about 1 round. I'm not sure I'm tracking you on the 2" extension as extensions are usually described in terms of capacity added or total rounds with the extension installed as opposed to the actual length in inches of the extension. If you get the +3 extension, it would be even with the barrel. A +4 extension would extend about 2" IIRC from the muzzle, or just slightly less, depending on if you went with Nordic or Choate and if you had a longer cap on the Nordic.
If you wanted to change the barrel, you could put an SPX barrel on it, but you would then need to get an LPA rear and rail. By that time, you would be putting more money into it than if you had bought an SPX.
Did I clear that up, or did I miss part of the question? Happy to go into more detail if I need to, or to answer something I missed.
Also to the point of rounds being of different lengths: the round length is the length of the fired hull. There is no real hard and fast standard for the round unfired and you will see quite a variance depending on shot cup, crimp, roll, load, etc which all result in unfired rounds having very different lengths. I've seen shells with the same theoretical load but different boxes or lots having slightly different lengths. That can be enough to cost you 1/16" that you need to fit the full capacity in.

This is supposedly the latest production run, maybe they reduced capacity to 6+1? My 870 is 6+1. While 8 rounds of 00 are nice, 7 can be pretty effective too. I'll try and call Mossberg today and see if something changed.
They should still be 7+1. The QC has been less than stellar with this model, and Choate has been a little off on their stuff lately with the SPX extensions too.

Well I just got back from the range, , had a factory replacement barrel due to the front sight not on straight. It was canted to the left. The new barrel is also canted to the left but not as much. Still using way to much rear adjustment to get it zeroed at 50 yards.
The rear sight is also high on the left from just tightening it. Going to call Mossberg tomorrow. You guys been lucky to get the straight ones..
This is what I've seen to get the best results with Mossberg: make sure you speak to a supervisor, and get his name. Tell them you want them to send you a new production barrel with the higher sight pedestal. Be polite, and be persistent. If you want the rear sight replaced, tell them you want a new rail and rear sight assembly. After you get this approved/agreed to, keep in contact with them. Follow up frequently and with the same person. Don't let them forget about you, and document what is said and by whom. Ask for tracking numbers. Keep on them until the situation is resolved. It can be a PITA, but this seems to be what has worked for everybody who has had issues resolved.

ScrappyDoo
05-21-2010, 13:38
I've been meaning to post this for a while but haven't had the time...

OK where to start.

Mossberg 930 SPX is *most definitely* a 4+1 capacity and then the Choate extension, +3, making it a total of 7+1 = 8 . I'm *quite certain* the Mossberg 930 Autoloader model is a 4+1 shotgun , then whatever the magazine extension includes. Mossberg is known for having a variety of models with ** Factory Installed Magazine Extensions, and recently these extensions are contracted out to be made FROM A DIFFERENT COMPANY, in this case Choate.** So in the case of the 930 SPX, it's a Mossberg 930, 4+1, with a factory installed Choate Machine and Tool +3 magazine extension, making total capacity 8 rounds ... I have definitely installed 8 shells of Winchester 00 Buck, 12 guage, 2 3/4" shells.

Now I also quite familiar because I have a 930 SPX in Jersey, and I have a custom made Choate +1 extension because I , in NJ, can't have an autoloading shotgun with a pistol grip stock NOR a capacity greater than 6 shells. So I contacted Choate and they made me a +1 extension, and sent it to me, which looks exactly like the "factory installed" Choate extension, just a little shorter.

Choate also sent me a bright yellow follower and a spring. I removed the factory installed "follower", which is only a little "nub" type thing, and used the spring that came with the shotgun. The spring they sent me was HUMONGOUS , the spring IN the shotgun was 33% shorter, at least.

I can confirm this: The shotgun, FROM THE BOX, *definitely* held 8 shells of Winchester 00 Buck. I got a few boxes of Winchester 00 Buck 15-round boxes for like $12 at time of purchase. I loaded it with 8 rounds of those SEVERAL TIMES, 7 in tube and 1 in chamber, no problem. ALSO--- with that removed, and Choate +1 installed, I loaded 6 shells...... and that is with the +1 RATHER THAN +3 Choate extension tube, AND the new Choate bright orange plastic follower RATHER THAN the factory follower AKA little nub.

*I THINK* I might be able to get more than 6 in my Shotgun when using different shells. I have a few 5-packs of Hornady home defense TAP 00 Buck because they were on a big closeout sale at Dick's one time. I loaded the 5 pack of Hornady Tap, then one Winchester 00 Buck (Which is notably physically larger in size), and then an extra Winchester 00 Buck, a 7th, which LOOKED LIKE it loaded, it SORT OF stuck out, I am not sure if it loaded properly or not, I was not in a position to find out, and have no interest in it really, but it sure looked like it.

I hope this helps or is informative to SPX owners.

DFin
05-21-2010, 16:51
In case you were not aware, the front sight is adjustable too. You need a small allen wrench (I think it is a 1.5mm size wrench.) It is click stop adjustable. This info is not included in the owners manuel.

2 Hawks
05-22-2010, 21:21
In case you were not aware, the front sight is adjustable too. You need a small allen wrench (I think it is a 1.5mm size wrench.) It is click stop adjustable. This info is not included in the owners manuel.

Yup that's for elevation only, good to have it there. I will be getting another replacement barrel soon. There is very little spring room left after the last round is inserted makes it not feed that first round. Thinking about chopping off the plastic plug crimped end and tig welding an addition 3/4" steel plug end.

nursetim
05-22-2010, 23:22
Is it possible to put a pistol grip on one or do they have to come that way from the factory? Just to clairify, I mean a pistol grip with a butt stock.

mixflip
05-23-2010, 00:07
Yeah Choate makes them and they are available on all the big retailer sites.

frankr
05-23-2010, 03:08
Is it possible to put a pistol grip on one or do they have to come that way from the factory? Just to clairify, I mean a pistol grip with a butt stock.

Like this?

http://www.tacticalshotgunner.com/mossberg-930-and-935-mark-pistol-grip-stock-p-245.html

VIPRETR2
05-23-2010, 13:36
Are there any charging handle bolts avaiable now that "The Nob" is no longer produced, other than the Choate? That is my only qualm with the 930SPX.

nursetim
05-23-2010, 13:54
THat's it, thanks guys.

VZ1600
05-24-2010, 10:38
A little review I posted awhile back: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204423&highlight=lovin%27+spx

To date, I have a little over 2000 rounds thru it. Various loads of buckshot but mostly my light reloads. Still no failures with the exception of the one mentioned in the review.

m24shooter
05-24-2010, 12:25
Are there any charging handle bolts avaiable now that "The Nob" is no longer produced, other than the Choate? That is my only qualm with the 930SPX.

I just got a handle from Elite Tactical. Haven't had it long, so I'm still working it over.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/ETA%20gear/handle.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/ETA%20gear/handleinvert.jpg

frankr
05-24-2010, 12:26
A little review I posted awhile back: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204423&highlight=lovin%27+spx

To date, I have a little over 2000 rounds thru it. Various loads of buckshot but mostly my light reloads. Still no failures with the exception of the one mentioned in the review.

Great review. I'm at 1,000 through my 930 SPX and going strong. Please thank your son for me and my he stay safe.

A6Gator
05-24-2010, 18:38
Anyone using the 930 SPX in 3 gun?

F_G
05-24-2010, 21:24
Ok, had some time this evening to delve into my 6 round magazine issue. Took the spring out, put the follower in and 7 rounds went in easily with about 3/4 more of a shell. So that tells me it's definitely the magazine spring bottoming out, and like I said earlier the spring just seems inordinately long.

So, should I call Mossberg and see if they will send me another spring? What could they have possibly put in there? Is there a better aftermarket spring out there I can order.............and just forget about dealing with Mossberg?

frankr
05-25-2010, 02:35
[QUOTE=F_G;15353121]Ok, had some time this evening to delve into my 6 round magazine issue. Took the spring out, put the follower in and 7 rounds went in easily with about 3/4 more of a shell. So that tells me it's definitely the magazine spring bottoming out, and like I said earlier the spring just seems inordinately long.

So, should I call Mossberg and see if they will send me another spring? What could they have possibly put in there? Is there a better aftermarket spring out there I can order.............and just forget about dealing with Mossberg?[/QUOT

When I thought I had a spring problem I called Mossberg and they sent me a new magazine springs. As it turned out I did not have a problem and never used the spring. My extra spring is 28" long. If you think you can use it send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

Frank

onebadaxe
05-25-2010, 08:53
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/ninemmbill/Guns/smith037.jpg

I've been using one for 3-gun. The only problem I have had is starting a round or two down to the competition.

F_G
05-25-2010, 18:18
[quote=F_G;15353121]Ok, had some time this evening to delve into my 6 round magazine issue. Took the spring out, put the follower in and 7 rounds went in easily with about 3/4 more of a shell. So that tells me it's definitely the magazine spring bottoming out, and like I said earlier the spring just seems inordinately long.

So, should I call Mossberg and see if they will send me another spring? What could they have possibly put in there? Is there a better aftermarket spring out there I can order.............and just forget about dealing with Mossberg?[/QUOT

When I thought I had a spring problem I called Mossberg and they sent me a new magazine springs. As it turned out I did not have a problem and never used the spring. My extra spring is 28" long. If you think you can use it send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

FrankOK, the tape does not lie.........the spring in my 930 is, get this.......35 1/4 inches long! I haven't seen the coil spacing on the 28" Frank has, but I'm guessing this is my issue.

frankr
05-26-2010, 03:29
[quote=frankr;15353857]OK, the tape does not lie.........the spring in my 930 is, get this.......35 1/4 inches long! I haven't seen the coil spacing on the 28" Frank has, but I'm guessing this is my issue.

F_G I’m guessing the 35 ľ length spring is your problem. The spring that is in my 930 SPX with 1,000 rounds of malfunction free shooting is 25 inches long. I put the 28 “ spring that I thought was a little long in my gun to test it and loaded 7 no trouble. The spacing is the same between the 25" and 28" springs I have.

F_G
05-26-2010, 06:32
[quote=F_G;15357329]

F_G I’m guessing the 35 ľ length spring is your problem. The spring that is in my 930 SPX with 1,000 rounds of malfunction free shooting is 25 inches long. I put the 28 “ spring that I thought was a little long in my gun to test it and loaded 7 no trouble. The spacing is the same between the 25" and 28" springs I have.

OK, supposedly Mossberg is sending me a new spring. They would not verify the length of the new spring and were very hesitant to take care of this as I was not the original purchaser, even after I explained the gun was new and unfired. Oh well, so much for customer service with a smile.:upeyes:

OK, on to the next issue, well not really an issue, but the charging handle on these things is really small and pretty tough to find when excited. So it seems the "NOB" charging handle is no longer available? I'm not really enamored with the handles from Elite Tactical and Choate, so is there anything else available out there? I heard rumor of a charging handle available from Mossberg themselves. Anyone have a link available? Picture? Anything?

Hopefully I get this thing out Friday, I'm excited about this shotgun, the tang mounted safety just works so well for this lefthanded shootin' guy.

m24shooter
05-26-2010, 10:00
The Mossberg handle is basically jsut bigger around. Don't have a picture of it, but it isn't available as yet.
Your spring should not be anywhere near that long. The Wolff trim to length springs that are supplied long enough to fit any extension is 40" in length, and is meant to work on those 3 gun extensions with long barrels.

VZ1600
05-28-2010, 10:08
[quote=frankr;15359339]

I heard rumor of a charging handle available from Mossberg themselves. Anyone have a link available? Picture? Anything?

Here you go:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/guinea72/spx.jpg

As the picture shows, part # is 19297

VIPRETR2
05-29-2010, 16:00
I just got a handle from Elite Tactical. Haven't had it long, so I'm still working it over.

Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. For $20 it's worth a try.

F_G
05-30-2010, 13:37
[quote=F_G;15359669]

Here you go:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/guinea72/spx.jpg

As the picture shows, part # is 19297Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

F_G
05-30-2010, 21:16
930 Update - Shot the gun Friday and functioned nearly perfectly. All 00 buck, slug and heavier field loads were perfect. After a brief break in with the heavy stuff, switched to some cheap 7 1/2 bird shot. Had one FTE, but that was towards the end and the shotgun was very hot.

Also, the 28" spring frankr sent me arrived Saturday and the gun now easily holds 7 rounds in the magazine.

I think it's a keeper.

frankr
05-31-2010, 02:43
930 Update - Shot the gun Friday and functioned nearly perfectly. All 00 buck, slug and heavier field loads were perfect. After a brief break in with the heavy stuff, switched to some cheap 7 1/2 bird shot. Had one FTE, but that was towards the end and the shotgun was very hot.

Also, the 28" spring frankr sent me arrived Saturday and the gun now easily holds 7 rounds in the magazine.

I think it's a keeper.

F_G
Glad the spring is working out for you. What I do when Iím fun shooting with the low brass target loads and get to the 100 shell mark Iíll put a few drops of oil on the bolt and manually work the action a few times. Then load her up and your good to go for another 100 or so rounds. What Iíve heard happens although Iíve never had it happen to me and especially when the gun gets hot, the action will start slowing down and you may get a FTF. A couple drops of oil and off you go.

Frank

VZ1600
05-31-2010, 10:39
F_G
Glad the spring is working out for you. What I do when Iím fun shooting with the low brass target loads and get to the 100 shell mark Iíll put a few drops of oil on the bolt and manually work the action a few times. Then load her up and your good to go for another 100 or so rounds. What Iíve heard happens although Iíve never had it happen to me and especially when the gun gets hot, the action will start slowing down and you may get a FTF. A couple drops of oil and off you go.

Frank

That's excellent advise. I was told the same from m24shooter and this method works like a charm. Once you are nearing the 100 round mark, you can actually "feel" the bolt slowing down. That's when I open the bolt, put a couple drops of oil on the bolt itself and also in the rail slots inside the receiver and it works great.

F_G
06-02-2010, 07:30
Additional update - frankr was gracious in his offering of his extra mag spring, I also called Mossberg to get another "correct" spring. The new spring from Mossberg arrived yesterday and it is 35 1/4 inches long, just like the spring the shotgun came with originally and would only allow 6 rounds in the mag tube. I like this shotgun, but Mossberg really needs to work on their quality control.....or lack there of.

F_G
06-04-2010, 18:25
Might as well keep the updates coming. The shorter mag spring did fix the issue of being able to load 7 rounds in the mag tube, but then another problem cropped up. With 7 rounds in the tube the follower would occassionally hang up where the mag tube and extension come together. Took a fine file and put a slight chamfer on the leading edge of the follower, just got back from the range, 150 rounds and no hang ups or any other issues either. I'll get this thing sorted out eventually, at least I hope I do, as I really like this shotgun.

mixflip
06-04-2010, 19:00
Glad to hear its an easy fix.

frankr
06-05-2010, 02:57
Might as well keep the updates coming. The shorter mag spring did fix the issue of being able to load 7 rounds in the mag tube, but then another problem cropped up. With 7 rounds in the tube the follower would occassionally hang up where the mag tube and extension come together. Took a fine file and put a slight chamfer on the leading edge of the follower, just got back from the range, 150 rounds and no hang ups or any other issues either. I'll get this thing sorted out eventually, at least I hope I do, as I really like this shotgun.

Had to do the exact same thing to my new Remington 870 express. The magazine follower was hanging up when loading. Make sure when cleaning your 930 SPX that you check the magazine tube. Sometimes after shooting a couple hundred shells my SPX magazine tube would loosen from the receiver about a ľ turn. A drop or two of blue Loctite did the trick. This is exactly why I shoot my guns a lot. It is better to work out the little problems at the range (especially your home defense gun) than to find them in the middle of the night. Keep buying the low brass 100 shell value packs from Wal-Mart and shoot the H-LL out of it.

Stay Safe

F_G
06-06-2010, 10:33
This is exactly why I shoot my guns a lot. It is better to work out the little problems at the range (especially your home defense gun) than to find them in the middle of the night. Keep buying the low brass 100 shell value packs from Wal-Mart and shoot the H-LL out of it.

Stay SafeYep, last trip consisted of 25 rounds of 00 and slug mixture along with 125 rounds of cheap low brass stuff. Even did a 75 round torture test loading the mag as fast as possible and shooting very quickly, the 930 was too hot to touch, but ingested everything perfectly. So 2 trips to the range, 300 rounds total and 1 FTE which was on the first trip and deep into 100 rounds of crappy ammo. Gun has been 100% with all the 00 and slug I've shot.

Changed out the safety for a Vang Comp replacement, it's oversized and steel. They don't list one for the 930, but their 590/500 replacement fits perfectly. Next is a different charging handle, just need to figure out which one.

m24shooter
06-07-2010, 09:32
I've been using the Vang safety on my Mossbergs for a while. I like them better than the factory A1 metal safety.
I recently got an Elite Tactical Advantage safety, which is basically a Vang safety writ large.
As far as bolt handles, your options are basically the Choate and another Elite Tactical Advantage product. The factory enlarged handles are not being sold yet as far as I know, and MAX100 is not producing the NOB anymore, which is a shame. I recently got an ETA unit. It is a pretty good handle, better than the OEM unit. It does not have an enlarged bell or flange on the end, which I wish it did due to the way I operate the handle.
ETA safety on top, Vang below:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/ETA%20gear/safetycompro.jpg

ETA installed:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/ETA%20gear/safetyup.jpg

F_G
06-07-2010, 21:33
m24shooter, your 930 review was one of the reasons I took a chance on this weapon, nicely done. You mentioned an update in the works?

You are correct in the enlarged charging handle from Mossberg not being available yet. This was affirmed by them when I inquired as to it's availability during my lengthy search for the correct magazine spring. They said later this summer..........maybe. :upeyes:

m24shooter
06-08-2010, 10:11
Thanks.
Yes, I'm working on another update. I'm trying to iron out some issues on some stuff I'm currently working on, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to check out a few more things over the summer. I'd like to be able to put the update together next month, but part of it will depend on when I get some new items.
The ETA safety and bolt handle will be in there, along with using the Micro, and some follow ups with some of the previous items. Barrel porting and forcing cone work, the new 6 round sidesaddle will be there. May show some pattern testing on the Fed LE132. There are a few other things that I'm working on or hope to get soon that will be added to this list.

Ride5C2
07-02-2010, 07:44
I've had my SPX for just over a year now and it continues to function flawlessly. It's ability to cycle just about anything is amazing, so far I've run:
Regular rounds:
- Cheap target loads (Walmart stuff, Win, Federal, and some Rem)
- Fiocchi buckshot & slugs
Low Recoil:
- Rem Managed Recoil STS Target (1100 FPS) cycles with no hiccups whatsoever
- Rem Mgd Recoil slugs / buckhammer

The only round I have been able to find that will not cycle in my SPX is the WinLite Low Recoil/Low Noise rounds (which say on the box,'do not use in an autoloader')

Since I'm a wuss with recoil, I'm experimenting with 4 more low recoil slugs in the next few weeks:
- Federal Low Recoil Slug
- WinLite Hollow point Slug
- Rem Mgd Recoil Slugger
- Fiocchi Reduced Recoil Aero Slugs

I'll post on which of these is 'nicer' and still hits the target.

Upgrades to my SPX over the last year include: (many based on M24's reviews)
- Limbsaver pad (noticable difference in felt recoil)
- Mesa Tactical 6 rd side saddle
- Max's NOB bolt handle
- Wilson Combat 870 vertical sling mount
- Had barrel threaded & ventilated choke installed by the folks at Poly-Choke

F_G
07-06-2010, 13:58
Really like this shotgun, but not too impressed with Mossberg. Contacted them at the end of May about my magazine spring being too long and limiting capacity to 6+1. They sent me a new spring, but unfortunately it was just like the original, too long. Stated on the 2nd of June they send another right out.........you guessed it, still haven't received it. If not for the generosity of frankr I'd still be a holdin' 7 rounds instead of 8.

frankr
07-06-2010, 15:32
Really like this shotgun, but not too impressed with Mossberg. Contacted them at the end of May about my magazine spring being too long and limiting capacity to 6+1. They sent me a new spring, but unfortunately it was just like the original, too long. Stated on the 2nd of June they send another right out.........you guessed it, still haven't received it. If not for the generosity of frankr I'd still be a holdin' 7 rounds instead of 8.

F_G Glad I was able to help. Especially happy that your gun is functioning as good as the one I have.

Take care and be safe

F_G
07-07-2010, 15:22
Speak of the devil, not sure either of those springs will resolve my problem, but at least they're trying.

Email I received this morning;

Good Morning;<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Thank you for your inquiry. Please forgive our delay on satisfying this matter for you. Please provide me with your mailing address and I will send you two springs. I will send you the 5 and 8 shot magazine spring. Yes, previously, I placed that order for Mr. Carpenter. The spring was sent out according to his serial number. To prevent this from happening again, I will send you both springs for your personal comparison. I hope this suggestion can solve the problem. If not, I will gladly keep trying until you have the correct spring to put your shotgun to work. Hope to hear from you soon. Have a great day.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Linda Salinas<o:p></o:p>
Product Service Rep<o:p></o:p>
Maverick Arms, Inc.<o:p></o:p>
Authorized Mossberg Service Center<o:p></o:p>
1001 Industrial Blvd<o:p></o:p>
Eagle Pass, TX 78852<o:p></o:p>
1-800-363-3555, ext 535

<o:p>Mr. Carpenter was the previous owner who in my original post had so much trouble with his original 930 that Mossberg sent him a new one. He had the first mag spring sent to me, which was too long. Funny thing is I've given them the measurement of the spring I got from frankr which functions perfectly and allows full capacity in the mag tube. Oh well, we'll see.</o:p>

F_G
07-10-2010, 16:13
This is to the point of being comical now. I have relayed to Mossberg on 3 different occassions that the spring that allows 7 to be loaded in the mag tube and function perfectly is 28 inches long. I just received the box from Mossberg today with the 2 springs they promised, 1 is 35 1/4 inches long and the other is 23 inches long for the 8 shot and 5 shot respectively. I now have 3 springs 35 1/4 inches long, 1 that is 23 inches long and the one frankr sent that works perfectly at 28 inches long. Guess I'll just use frankr's and see if I can find a 28 inch long spring on my own. I do like to change them out every couple of years. This is frustrating.

Ride5C2
07-10-2010, 16:39
This is to the point of being comical now. I have relayed to Mossberg on 3 different occassions that the spring that allows 7 to be loaded in the mag tube and function perfectly is 28 inches long. I just received the box from Mossberg today with the 2 springs they promised, 1 is 35 1/4 inches long and the other is 23 inches long for the 8 shot and 5 shot respectively. I now have 3 springs 35 1/4 inches long, 1 that is 23 inches long and the one frankr sent that works perfectly at 28 inches long. Guess I'll just use frankr's and see if I can find a 28 inch long spring on my own. I do like to change them out every couple of years. This is frustrating.

F_G,
My SPX has loaded 7+1 from day one and has run with no malfunctions / feed issues, my spring is 22.5 inches long. I'd give the 23 inch long spring in your collection a shot and see how it goes . . ?

ScrappyDoo
07-10-2010, 19:58
LOL I am sorry at your troubles but I wish all the dooshes would apologize to me for bahsing me when I said Mossberg service sucked.

F_G
07-10-2010, 20:24
LOL I am sorry at your troubles but I wish all the dooshes would apologize to me for bahsing me when I said Mossberg service sucked.I don't think I bashed you, but I kinda' agree with you. Their QC is very spotty, sometimes their customer service are very attentive, but then again ignore you at times.

I put the 23 inch spring in and admittedly I haven't shot it yet, the last round barely has any tension on it at all, hard to imagine functioning would be consistent. Might try cutting one of the 35 inchers down and see how they work. Just kind of mind boggling with all the inconsistencies. And please don't take this as whining, just trying to keep owners and prospective owners aware of issues with what I feel could be an excellent weapon if all the QC issues are taken care of.

frankr
07-11-2010, 02:28
F_G
I would stick with the one that works especially if you are using the gun for home defense. If you want cut the 35” springs, test them, then save for extras or send them to fellow GT members who are having trouble Ha,Ha, Ha. Hope you had a good 4th and stay safe.

m24shooter
07-11-2010, 10:08
I've been quite vocal in critisizing their QC and their CS. I ended up getting invited to the plant last summer by Mark Kresser.
It does not seem that there has been a significant or at least consistent change for the better.
I would take those 35" springs and cut them down to the proper length. That would give you some spares to use.

F_G
07-11-2010, 10:22
I've been quite vocal in critisizing their QC and their CS. I ended up getting invited to the plant last summer by Mark Kresser.
It does not seem that there has been a significant or at least consistent change for the better.That has been my experience so far. WHEN they get back to me they have been very concerned and acted very quickly. The inconsistencies with mag springs is just one thing, and reading all the other issues other owners have had. Too bad, like I said earlier, this shotgun has the potential to be an excellent weapon, very simple and robust in it's design. I have a Benelli M1Super90 and an FN SLP, but actually prefer the handling, balance and tang safety of this $600 shotgun.
I would take those 35" springs and cut them down to the proper length. That would give you some spares to use.I mic'd the wire diameter and checked the coil spacing compared to the 28" spring and they are almost identical, cutting down the 35 inchers is my next move.

DHart
07-11-2010, 20:00
All you 930 guys talking is edging me closer and closer to semi-auto shotgun land again. I didn't have a very positive experience with my FN-SLP, Win SX2, or 1100CM. Just some finnicky running guns which I have no tolerance for. But something tells me that my experience with a 930 might be better. Thanks for the reviews and the videos and the support system!

F_G
07-11-2010, 20:24
All you 930 guys talking is edging me closer and closer to semi-auto shotgun land again. I didn't have a very positive experience with my FN-SLP, Win SX2, or 1100CM. Just some finnicky running guns which I have no tolerance for. But something tells me that my experience with a 930 might be better. Thanks for the reviews and the videos and the support system!Let us know how it works out for you if you do procure a 930.

DHart
07-11-2010, 20:43
F_G, will do.

As for your signature saying, I couldn't agree more. I ride a 2010 Road Glide Custom these days and 5 minutes on that beauty is worth every penny I'm paying for it! ;)

F_G
07-11-2010, 20:50
F_G, will do.

As for your signature saying, I couldn't agree more. I ride a 2010 Road Glide Custom these days and 5 minutes on that beauty is worth every penny I'm paying for it! ;)Been on some sort of 2 wheeled contraption with an internal combustion engine for the past 42 years. Main passion right now is actually offroad on either my GasGas300 or Honda XR600R. Last Harley I had was a '94 Road King, my wife and I put over 80,000 miles on that bike. Ride on.

DHart
07-11-2010, 22:36
F_G... my last bike was a 2004 Road King Custom... sold it last fall to get this baby...
the wife approves and loves riding this even more than the RKC. We ride 7-10k miles
per year.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Harley-Davidson/SigPic.jpg

m24shooter
07-12-2010, 07:55
I mic'd the wire diameter and checked the coil spacing compared to the 28" spring and they are almost identical, cutting down the 35 inchers is my next move.
That is the expected result. Choate is providing the springs to Mossberg, but for some reason stopped cutting them to the proper length or a very large batch made it to Mossberg without being cut. Choate is having the exact same problem with customers who order the extensions directly from them.
I would guess that since Mossberg isn't loading up a full mag tube during testing they aren't seeing the problem before it leaves the factory.

F_G
07-12-2010, 08:01
That is the expected result. Choate is providing the springs to Mossberg, but for some reason stopped cutting them to the proper length or a very large batch made it to Mossberg without being cut. Choate is having the exact same problem with customers who order the extensions directly from them.
I would guess that since Mossberg isn't loading up a full mag tube during testing they aren't seeing the problem before it leaves the factory.Thanks for the insight on Choate, wasn't aware they were having issues too, that explains a lot. Still no excuse for the Mossberg's crappy QC.

m24shooter
07-19-2010, 17:40
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1244327

F_G
07-20-2010, 05:59
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1244327That's nice. I was waiting for Mossberg to release their bolt handle as it was hollow too. I just don't like adding weight to the bolt, this shotgun already has an issue with the cycling slowing down as it heats up.

LSW
08-20-2010, 18:19
Guys:

I've had my 930 SPX for about a year now and it has been reliable for the most part. However recently I've had some pretty bad problems.

About once every 30-40 rounds, I'm getting a failure to feed because the next round only comes about halfway out of the magazine tube and hangs up there. I assume this is because the follower is binding up. There doesn't seem to be a particular spot in the mag that his happens, sometimes it can be on the 2nd or 3rd round of a full mag, sometimes the 7th or 8th.

Are there any aftermarket followers out there yet that allow you to keep 7 rounds in the magazine? I know M24shooter has advocated some aftermarket 870 followers, but they reduce the capacity by 1 shell. I'd like to keep it at 8.

If It matters, I'm using federal low recoil 1125 fps 00 buckshot. I was hoping to use this as my HD ammo but I guess it might not run reliably. Plus I'm not sure that switching to hotter ammo will stop the follower form binding.

Out West
09-04-2010, 21:34
Maybe its not the length of the spring. Maybe the problem is the length of the shells. Every manufacturer seems to have a different length. I'm looking at 3 different 2 3/4" 00 shells and they are all different lengths (Rem., Win. and S&B). The differences are significant.

Out West

F_G
09-09-2010, 10:35
Maybe its not the length of the spring. Maybe the problem is the length of the shells. Every manufacturer seems to have a different length. I'm looking at 3 different 2 3/4" 00 shells and they are all different lengths (Rem., Win. and S&B). The differences are significant.

Out WestI had already checked that and it wasn't the issue I was having. As soon as I went to the 28" spring all my problems went away, even with every different manufacture of shells I could find, it was definitely spring bind in my case.

But you are right, there are significant variations in shell lengths between manufacturers.

devilmoon
10-20-2010, 09:46
Does anyone know if the NOB still available to purchase?

DarkBlade1000RR
10-20-2010, 15:00
...not sure about the NOB...but I bought this from CHOATE...

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?recordno=2&Product_CatalogID=2973&ProductNumber=02-10-02&ProductCode=2&ProductSubCodeID=240&NewProduct=0

Seems to work fine...definitely better than OEM....hell..anything is better than that little nub the put on there...lol!

m24shooter
11-07-2010, 16:23
The NOB has not been available for at least 18 months or so. The owner has some issues with other items, so the only way to find one is to try to buy one off of someone who got one.

I've just updated my review of the 930 SPX today. I will have some more updates that I hope to put up in the next day or so. You can find the review here: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25138#post25138

mdfd
11-08-2010, 14:39
hmmm - the 930 special purpose section at the OFM website is not working?....I can find it if I google an old page, but when I refresh page it is down....