High mileage rimfire guns and their failures [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : High mileage rimfire guns and their failures

PzGren
05-17-2010, 21:00
A post here about a Ruger MkII with 40,000 rounds through it with no parts failures got me thinking. I had bought a S&W 22A years ago as a cheap plinker, we have shot over 90,000 rounds through it and had bought it used. It had several parts fail;

three firing pins
sight rib integral claw broke (old style)
recoil spring broke
frame cracked around 60,000 rounds

The hammer spring did set so much that no reliable ignition was possible around 60,000 rounds, too. The stud on the upper that connects the pistol to the lower was loosened twice, despite use of Loctite.

A friend has a Hämmerli 208 which he has shot extensively in his younger years and has about 60,000 rounds through it. No parts broken or worn with the exception of the slide stop hole, it needs a bushing inserted or being staked now to reliably work the slide stop and hold-open function.

How are your high mileage rimfire guns holding up?

Titurel
05-18-2010, 00:30
I hadn't really thought about it much until just now, but my Ruger MKlll Stainless 5.5 Bull barrel has a lot of rounds through it. It has to be well over 50k. I've never even considered that anything could break. In some ways they are fairly crude, but way over-built for a .22lr pistol.

Actually I have destroyed two sets of the original plastic grips. The area where the screws sit would just crack. Then I switched to some nice wood grips and it hasn't been a problem.

Also I have several 10/22's, some with decades of use and really never a broken part on any of them. Its hard to think of anything that would fail on that rifle, although I suppose it must happen.

The only .22lr failure I've had was a JAC AR15 conversion where the firing pin broke. They sent me two new ones for free.

CajunBass
05-18-2010, 04:10
I've never had a gun break anything. I did buy a used Remington Nylon 66 that had a bulged barrel, but that was probably the shooters fault more than the guns. I figure someone fired a squib load in it then fired it again. They probably never knew it.

PzGren
05-18-2010, 07:25
Cajunbass,

I did not only want to know about general failures, but how many rounds your guns endured. How long can they go and what are the effects.

Jason D
05-18-2010, 16:42
I have an older 22/45 that has close to 30K rounds through it.
It's still stock.

GSSF17
05-18-2010, 18:56
The only thing that has ever broken in my rimfires, is a buffer in my Browning Buckmark that split. It had completely split and I discovered it during cleaning. The weapon functioned fine, but I bought 2 more buffers immediately.

The first one failed at about 10k rounds, but I attribute it to exposure to solvents and being removed and manipulated so much during disassembly/cleaning/reassembly.

The pistol is stock and has only the heggis flip on the sear spring.

RedHaze
05-18-2010, 19:36
I got a Hi-Standard HD Military passed down to me... unknown round count.

Sear was worn out to the point the hammer would ride the slide home 3/4 times.

tjpet
05-18-2010, 19:49
The only two RFs I've kept a running total on are a 1991 Buckmark Field and a 1968 Walther PP.

Buckmark - 200,000+ all type rounds but primarily Walmart value pack ammo. Total damage to date - 8 recoil buffers. I shoot until they start to split then replace them. At the 100,000 mark I dropped in a new firing pin/spring assembly but there was nothing wrong with the original one. I use it for backup now. With a scope this gun will still drill tweety birds at the 50 yard mark all day long. In fact, it's more accurate today then when first bought.

Walther PP - 135,000+ all type rounds but primarily CCI mini-mags. Actually, this baby thrives on CCI Stingers but I just can't afford to feed them to her all the time. To date nothing's been replaced on the gun. It's still bone stock original except for a trigger job and a couple dabs of white fingernail polish to hi-light the sights. This is my everyday carry, West desert travel gun. Small, compact, accurate, easy takedown, if there's a slicker .22 handgun I've yet to see it.

PzGren
05-18-2010, 21:34
.......This is my everyday carry, West desert travel gun. Small, compact, accurate, easy takedown, if there's a slicker .22 handgun I've yet to see it.

I have a Walther PP made in the 1930s and also love the thing, I have not kept track of fired rounds but got it well used.

I used to annoy people a ISSF club matches with that PP!

Morgo
05-19-2010, 01:07
My Ruger 22/45 MKII has 40K+ through it with no breakages or replacement parts yet :)

PzGren
05-19-2010, 02:55
My Ruger 22/45 MKII has 40K+ through it with no breakages or replacement parts yet :)

Around that mark, my 22a was ready for the second firing pin, everything else was still strong. It really seems that Ruger MkIIs can go long without failures, maybe the extractor claw gets worn.

vafish
05-19-2010, 07:00
I have an Anschutz target rifle my daughter uses. It was made in the 1970's and we bought it used, no idea how many rounds were down the barrel before we got it, but .22 target rifles usually get shot quite a bit. She's been putting 5,000-10,000 rounds a year since she got it 6 years ago. Haven't broken a thing on it.

I also have a Marlin Model 60 semi auto .22. It easily has 20K-30K rounds through it. haven't broken anything on it, but as a young lad I did try to make it shoot faster by filing on some parts. Ended up making it jam a lot and sent it back to Marlin who replaced the parts for a small fee.

I have a Remington Model 24 semi auto that is over 80 years old. I have no idea how many rounds it has fired, but judging by the amount of crud in the action when I got it there were a lot of rounds sent down range. No broken parts on it, but it was missing a cartridge stop and I had that replaced.

NailShooter
05-20-2010, 00:08
.... I had bought a S&W 22A years ago as a cheap plinker, we have shot over 90,000 rounds through it and had bought it used. It had several parts fail;

three firing pins
sight rib integral claw broke (old style)
recoil spring broke
frame cracked around 60,000 rounds....

So, are you still shooting it with the cracked frame? Regards,

Nail

PzGren
05-20-2010, 10:59
So, are you still shooting it with the cracked frame? Regards,

Nail

Nail,

I wondered why the accuracy went south with the crack in the frame until I went home and cleaned the gun. It ruptured right above the trigger and S&W asked me to send it in, they displayed their well-known excellent customer service by sending me a UPS label to mail it free of charge, within six weeks I had it back. With a frame with the same serial number to avoid FFL charges.

They had previously sent me all the parts under theit phantastic warranty. They actually sent me a few spare firing pins and buffers.

While the S&W 22A is a low budget gun that does not offer the high quality of some more expensive rimfire pistols, S&W stands behind its product even for those few customers that use their 22A extensively.

In my special case, they cannot have made a dime on the sale of the gun!

PzGren
05-23-2010, 01:11
I just dug out an old photo of the cracked frame, not a good photo but you can see where I drew a line around the crack above the trigger:

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8692/framecrack002zq6.jpg
Shot at 2007-05-09

Dwarven1
05-24-2010, 13:41
I have a 10/22 that I bought new in '81 that has probably around 30K rounds through it by now.

At around 20-25K rounds (estimated) I had to replace the firing pin - it had been peened over by the hammer and was about .003" shorter than the factory one I replaced it with. (it was giving me a LOT of light primer strikes). Shortly thereafter, I replaced the extractor with a Volquartsen Exact Edge, which has increased the reliability infinitely - I simply do not get ANY failures to extract any more.