Tactical Hearing Protection [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Hearing Protection

ricklee4570
05-18-2010, 04:23
Mas,

Do you recommend a homeowner keep a set of Tactical Electronic Hearing Protection by the nightstand as part of a home defense strategy?

My thinking is that it not only helps to hear sounds in the night but also would protect your ears from the loud blast of a firearm indoors.

Thanks!

Mas Ayoob
05-18-2010, 06:21
I think having a "TACTICAL" set of muffs right by the home defense gun is an excellent idea. Have them right next to the firearm, with the microphones facing downward. Grab with both hands, slap onto the head, and flick the switch on -- with practice, it takes under three seconds once you've gotten to where loaded gun and muffs are.

When I say "tactical" as opposed to "range" muffs, I'm talking about binaural construction that allows the shooter to process sound directionally so they know where the sound is coming from,..reduced sound rather than cutouts, because sound cutouts are as confusing to the ear as strobe lights are confusing to the eye...and powerful low-end sound amplification. I personally use the Gentex 1030A Wolf Ears, now unfortunately discontinued.

Obviously, if intruders are stomping down the hall toward the bedroom, you'll simply grab your gun and do what you need to do. Yes, you may suffer some hearing damage, but how much will you hear in the grave if you can't respond quickly enough?

That said, when the alarm sounds or you hear glass break downstairs, there often IS time to get the muffs on, just as there is often time to call 9-1-1, etc. This is a genuine issue. SureFire got into the sound suppressor business after their research showed a large number of police officers going out on disability related to hearing loss after having to fire their standard weapons in close quarters with unprotected hearing.

Having tactical active muffs right there by your home defense blaster, to give you the option of protecting your hearing if there's time -- and enhancing your hearing beyond normal to hear the bad guy sneaking down the hall -- is simply a good common sense option, in my opinion.

best,
Mas