Question on operational variance between handguns. . . [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question on operational variance between handguns. . .

Hantra
05-18-2010, 11:01
All:

I wasn't sure which forum would be appropriate for this question, so I hope this is the proper venue.

I've trained with Sigs exclusively. I don't have an abundance of training. . .Probably 2-3 days of tactical shooting training at Sig Academy.

I'm considering an HK45. My mental issue with this is the significant difference between these pistols in terms of magazine release. I had a USP Compact, and it was the best shooting gun I ever had, but I felt I needed to get rid of it b/c it screwed me up for every other gun I owned. When I went back to my Glocks or Sigs, the sights and trigger were very different, and all of a sudden, I couldn't shoot them for crap. Also, the mag release on the HK was impossible for me to use under stress b/c I'd never trained with it.

The argument for the HK mag release is strong. I can definitely see the advantages of operating the release with the trigger finger. Also, as a Sig Armorer, I can see that Sig's quality is obviously in the toilet right now, and they are being dominated by marketing now, as opposed to engineering and quality. So I am inclined to think the HK's coming out right now are better built overall.

My question is, can one use any other pistol along with an HK? My gut tells me if I train and carry the HK, I am no longer going to be able to carry a Sig b/c of the mag release. From what I have read, any time there is more than one way to accomplish the exact same task, there is at least one additional second required to make the decision which method to use. I am not sure I can reconcile the different operations under any kind of stress. This is the same reason I won't carry my EMP. The external safety is not something I have ever trained on.

Are my concerns valid? I am curious what the experts say on this b/c although I shoot for fun, my primary concern when I purchase any firearm is utility for self-defense.

Thanks for any thoughtful discussion or comments you can provide.

Mas Ayoob
05-18-2010, 17:57
Hantra, what the experts think will matter less to you than what you find out for yourself. It sounds as if you're dedicated, and train regularly. If the only operational difference you find between, say, a SIG with DAK trigger and an analogous HK with LEM trigger is the magazine release mechanism, it's not necessarily a deal breaker, especially if you find you shoot distinctly better with the new method than you did with the old.

We all talk about primacy of training: the dominant technique that will tend to take over when we go auto pilot. Sometimes, that dominant technique is the first one we learned. But sometimes it's also the technique that came later but has been used the most. And sometimes it's a new technique that has worked so much better it has made a strong impression on you, consciously or subconsciously, and is also fresh in the memory of both mind and hand from recent drill work.

Each of us learns differently, at different speeds. Some folks are quick studies, and some are not. If you drill for a while with your new pistol with the same dedication you've obviously applied to your older choice, I don't think it will be long before the HK's mag release becomes second nature to you.

Best of luck,
Mas

Hantra
05-18-2010, 20:36
Thanks Mas.

Do I retire the older choice? As far as training and carrying?

Or am I over-analyzing? I'm paranoid at times. :couch:

Mas Ayoob
05-18-2010, 22:31
I wouldn't retire it. Tastes may change. Besides, you can never have too many cool guns.:cool:

best,
Mas