Help! My links and menu bar went black [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help! My links and menu bar went black

daredwit
05-18-2010, 15:12
I am using Windows ME and when I booted my computer this morning, My links and menu bar are black and only show Icons with no text. The menu bar text can't be seen at all. What happened? Please help.

kc8ykd
05-18-2010, 16:26
could be software related, a corrupt video driver or something. or it could be failing hardware, video card/motherboard/hard drive.

i don't know what to tell you since it's been a long long time since i've seen ME in use, but i'd try any way possible to try and backup your data off that machine in case it is on it's way out.

you might try downloading a linux live cd from another computer and try booting it with that. that would help rule out hardware/software as the cause. it would also (hopefully) allow you access to the drive to copy your important data off of it (to a usb thumb drive perhaps).

IndyGunFreak
05-18-2010, 16:29
I am using Windows ME and when I booted my computer this morning, My links and menu bar are black and only show Icons with no text. The menu bar text can't be seen at all. What happened? Please help.

Windows ME? You do realize that's been unsupported since 06.

Better get ready to either learn Linux, or to do a PC upgrade.

kc8ykd
05-18-2010, 18:56
wow, i didn't realize they supported it that recently, the last time i saw it in use was around '00/'01'ish..

i totally agree, time for an upgrade either way

Sgt. Schultz
05-18-2010, 19:26
Windows ME ... :rofl:

... upgrade time.

Linux3
05-19-2010, 06:05
I am using Windows ME and when I booted my computer this morning,
OK, ME....
But I find it very interesting that some people use the latest and greatest and within months complain that their system is getting slower and slower and a wipe and reinstall is required.
Yet here we have daredwit who has been running the same O.S. for years and years and only has a problem when something mucks with the desktop. What is daredwit doing different?

IndyGunFreak
05-19-2010, 06:14
OK, ME....
But I find it very interesting that some people use the latest and greatest and within months complain that their system is getting slower and slower and a wipe and reinstall is required.
Yet here we have daredwit who has been running the same O.S. for years and years and only has a problem when something mucks with the desktop. What is daredwit doing different?

Well, the main issue is he's using "Mistake Edition".. :), not to mention most are not discussing OS's that have been out of support for 4-5yrs.

kc8ykd
05-19-2010, 10:52
OK, ME....

I don't think anyone in this thread advocates that. Personally, I don't think that's the smartest solution to many things (sans rootkit maybe), I think some people resort to that rather than deal with whatever problem is actually affecting their machine. Personally, I've only reinstalled when changing os revs (2k/xp, xp/7, vista/7). Imagine if people did that every time they encountered a problem with their car, just sell the old one and buy new, instead of simply replacing the spark plugs...

Windows ME was always a bastard release, kinda like Microsoft BOB (and arguably vista).

Linux3
05-21-2010, 21:24
No, no, you are missing the point.
I just find it interesting that someone could be running ME for years and be quite happy with it.
I know it's out of support but look, for one user anyway it has stood the test of time. I find that intriguing.

IndyGunFreak
05-21-2010, 21:39
I find that intriguing.

I find it amazing.. :rofl:

IGF

kc8ykd
05-21-2010, 22:10
No, no, you are missing the point.
I just find it interesting that someone could be running ME for years and be quite happy with it.
I know it's out of support but look, for one user anyway it has stood the test of time. I find that intriguing.

It happens, i've got a windows 2000 machine running in a back room that's survived since shortly after the os was released. That machine went from desktop to file server once i upgraded hardware (and operating system since xp had been released when i built a new machine).

it just sits and runs, doesn't talk to anything outside my network, just serves up files. barring serious hardware failure, it's conceivable that machine could run forever. (knock on wood the 8 year old seagate scsci drives in it's raid 5 array don't fail any time soon). it hasn't been supported since 2005, so no security updates since then, but like i said, it isn't exposed to anything outside my private network (no web browsing on it or ftp, or anything).

i also had a debian machine, p3-650, that ran under my desk at work, a long time ago, just got used as a tftp server and as a remote shell for me. that thing ran and ran, i still did an apt-get update/upgrade on it monthly, but i never did any major upgrades to it's software over the ~4ish years it ran since i built it before it went away.

i think what we see here is simply differences in how different people use their computers.

if you don't have a requirement for the latest and greatest, then why change, however, that's not to say, stop applying updates to combat security vulnerabilities.

my desktops, i like to play games and i do a lot of work with music, so they generally require decent amounts of processor and ram, and to be able to utilize features in newer versions of various software packages, it does require that i do stay current with operating systems.

it could be, that daredwit fixes the causes of ailments his computer is experiencing, rather than simply wiping and re-installing.

still no word on if he'd tried a linux live cd (which would help determine the cause of the problem)....perhaps that old ME machine really did bite the dust.

TBO
05-22-2010, 18:28
2000 is a far different beast than ME

kc8ykd
05-22-2010, 19:53
for sure, being based off of NT versus ME & 95 makes a big difference, but the point is that both my 2k machine and his ME machine may get used differently than your average desktop machine.

it's important to understand the risks tho, when running such old an unsupported software. thus the reason my 2k machine isn't exposed to anything outside my private network. the lack of support knowledge as well as security updates would make me personally hesitate before using either of those machines for daily internet tasks.

in a controlled environment tho? no biggie