Fort Jackson range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fort Jackson range

southernshooter
05-18-2010, 15:42
Anybody know if the Andrew Jackson public range is still open on Fort Jackson? I haven't been for over 2 years. I noticed that the main road going to it is now closed to private vehicles (Dixie Rd?) Used to be open every other Saturday from 9:00 until about 1:00.

RichardB
05-20-2010, 08:29
Have you checkout the Ft Jackson web site? It might be covered under Morale and Welfare Activities.

Fenderstrat72
05-28-2010, 21:30
http://fortjacksonmwr.com/shooting_sports/

Says they are open every Saturday, unless it is a Federal Holiday.

crpydy
05-29-2010, 22:47
The sign is up to keep people from sight seeing. If you've got a reason to be there that is an entirely different matter....

wikki
06-02-2010, 18:20
I've heard that it can take some time to get in the gate with your firearms. You must register them at the gate and this can take a while.

crpydy
06-02-2010, 18:22
You register your guns at pass and ID inside the base. And you don't bring your guns with you to do it. Depending on the time of day you go it's a fast and painless process.

wikki
06-02-2010, 18:27
You register your guns at pass and ID inside the base. And you don't bring your guns with you to do it. Depending on the time of day you go it's a fast and painless process.

Maybe the guy I was talking to didn't understand the process. Or maybe the guys at the gate that day didn't.

Thanks for the info though. Now I won't look like an idiot if I ever go out there. I've heard it's very nice, they give you targets and everything.

crpydy
06-02-2010, 19:42
I've never shot on their ranges. Can't help you there.

I did spend the last year hunting out there. The weapon registration is done in the same office as the people who do the vehicle stickers. Just bring your info. I like to pull a number and go outside and make some phone calls.

mgartland
06-26-2010, 08:31
If you don't mind the short drive to Shaw AFB, you might want to check out the rifle/pistol range at Shaw AFB. It is at the skeet and trap club and is open Tuesdays, Thursdays, Staurdays, and Sundays. To fire at this range you walk down 5 or 6 steps into a dugout as the lanes are underground tunnels. The staff and members/customers are friendly and helpful.

It is not necessary to register weapons at the gate, but you have to transport them unloaded and separate from your ammo. I keep my firearms in a locked container in the trunk and my ammo in a box in the back seat.

Then you just follow normal entry procedures. If your vehicle is selected for a random search, let the gate guard know that you have weapons in your trunk and that you are headed to the range.

The brochure for this facility is at:
http://www.20thfss.com/pdf/Outdoor_Rec/Skeet_and_Trap.pdf

dg21
07-21-2010, 19:48
It's still open on sat as stated. I'm retired Army and have my long guns registered on post. I just show my ID and weapon reg at the gate and that's it.
I never asked about the policy for non-id card holders.