I think I screwed up BOTH my boomsticks barrels today randomly/seperately ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I think I screwed up BOTH my boomsticks barrels today randomly/seperately ?

ScrappyDoo
05-18-2010, 18:15
First, on my Benelli Supernova, I was taking it out, and giving it a nice little cleaning. Bought a new boresnake so I figured what the hell, then wiped down all over with RemOil w/ Teflon wipes. I somehow bumped the wall with the barrel. Now there's white "Scratches?" on a part of the barrel. It looks like the white paint from the wall, but THEY WILL NOT COME OUT. I rubbed/buffed/polished with the remoil wipes, nothing. Did I actually scratch the barrel etc? Is there anything to do/ is it dangerous/will it rust etc.?

Next, I take out the Mossberg 930 SPX for a similar slight light cleaning. As some of you may know I have a custom Choate Machine & Tool magazine extension , and when they made that for me they sent me a nice little "clamp" that has a sling attachment /swivel. Well when "reinstalling/reattaching" the clamp, it looks like I scratched both the extension and the barrel. And of course it looks like I *really* scratched it... What does that mean, I removed the bluing from it? Sheeeit. Is there anything I can do or need to do?

What are the odds both boomsticks, both barrels, same day. Only to me.

CharlestonG26
05-18-2010, 18:19
Don't drink and clean guns.

marlinfan
05-18-2010, 18:24
My shotguns spend many days a year in the woods, tree stands, etc, there's more scratches than original finish on a few of them.:)

ScrappyDoo
05-18-2010, 18:29
Don't drink and clean guns.

Thanks a lot Dad but I have already learned that lesson. I was straight sober, sober as a mouse, as I presently am, sorry to say! :wavey:

My shotguns spend many days a year in the woods, tree stands, etc, there's more scratches than original finish on a few of them.:)

Cool cool, and it means that it's okay for the actual "finish" etc. its not gonna rust or anything provided I take a decent care of them? and thanks for the info/encouragement mah brahtha. :wavey:

mixflip
05-18-2010, 18:40
Thats too bad you scuffed up you rnew boomsticks but liek previously noted, they will eventually get character marks just like a skateboard or tennis shoes or a hammer. They all get scuffed when used eventually. Only safe queens stay pristine.

I have no idea what exactly happened but as long as you treat the exposed metal to prevent rust then I wouldnt feel too bad about the scuffs.

ScrappyDoo
05-18-2010, 18:58
Thats too bad you scuffed up you rnew boomsticks but liek previously noted, they will eventually get character marks just like a skateboard or tennis shoes or a hammer. They all get scuffed when used eventually. Only safe queens stay pristine.

I have no idea what exactly happened but as long as you treat the exposed metal to prevent rust then I wouldnt feel too bad about the scuffs.

A little oil ( like from the wipes I like to use, I like to actually use both Hoppe's Oil field wipes and then another pass with RemOil w/ Teflon wipes) will that work to "treat" the metal brothaman?

I also have plenty of actual Hoppe's oil AND the hoppe's spray stuff and RemOil spray stuff if that would be better?

jp 19
05-18-2010, 20:12
It looks like the white paint from the wall, but THEY WILL NOT COME OUT. I rubbed/buffed/polished with the remoil wipes, nothing. Did I actually scratch the barrel etc? Is there anything to do/ is it dangerous/will it rust etc.?

i would try my favorite bore solvent maybe some simple green or maybe a wee bit o paint thinner... the rem wipes are only oiling the mark not cleaning it....

CitizenOfDreams
05-18-2010, 21:17
Clumsy people like us should just get used to scratches. :dunno:

mixflip
05-18-2010, 21:43
Maybe a dab of cold blue will better protect the barrel than constantly coating with rem oil? Of course keeping it clean and oiled will always prevent rust either way.

method
05-18-2010, 22:57
i would try my favorite bore solvent maybe some simple green or maybe a wee bit o paint thinner... the rem wipes are only oiling the mark not cleaning it....

Try that, maybe use an old toothbrush to get some scrubbing action.

vafish
05-19-2010, 06:52
The white mark is probably paint, try scratching it off with your fingernail.

The actual scratch in the metal, try some cold blue on it. Should cover it pretty well.

Get one of the Birchwood Casey blue touch up pens.

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/blueing_index.asp?categoryID=1&subcat=5

Or just learn to live with scratches.

hasselbach
05-19-2010, 07:46
Drink more, once you drink enough it won't matter.

(clean your guns in a padded room from now on)

Spiffums
05-19-2010, 11:03
Just sling em down the driveway and get over it. As long as they were flawless when you bought them....... then the fit and finish now doesn't matter.

ScrappyDoo
05-19-2010, 11:15
All sound advice and advisement from wise sages lol

Dmeister
05-19-2010, 12:08
If it's paint, you can try gently rubbing with a pencil eraser directly on the white mark and see if it comes off. No guarantee that it won't strip the blue off too, though.

David Armstrong
05-19-2010, 12:27
Is there anything I can do or need to do?
There is plenty you can do, up to and including refinishing them. But what you need to do is recognize that working guns get honest scratches, dings, and assorted boo-boos on them that they wear with pride to show other guns they aren't safe queens.

jp 19
05-19-2010, 13:14
Get one of the Birchwood Casey blue touch up pens.

AKA: magic marker...

GAFinch
05-19-2010, 16:01
Supernova: I've gotten paint scuffed on my shotgun before. Regular gun solvent will get it off with no effort. Wipe the excess solvent off afterward. You really need to have some of that in your cleaning kit.

teumessian_fox
05-21-2010, 14:49
I know how you feel.

I sent a Colt back to the factory for warranty work and they scratched the slide.

Doesn't hurt performance but is irritating that it's there.

My advice is just use the heck out of them so that you've got so many field dings and scratches, what you just did, will be insignificant.

ScrappyDoo
05-21-2010, 15:45
Thanks again to everyone... I really was worried it was more of a PROBLEM than it was cosmetic... Trust me, I'm not exactly the most good looking guy in the world and I've got me plenty of battle scars, I can live with em.

There is plenty you can do, up to and including refinishing them. But what you need to do is recognize that working guns get honest scratches, dings, and assorted boo-boos on them that they wear with pride to show other guns they aren't safe queens.

Seriously man. I understand. You have a PHd and you are in a position of power. but seriously. PLEASE , no one wants to hear you talk down to people in your typical constant condescending manner. Due to the fact you are as highly educated and experienced as you claim, you OBVIOUSLY realize you're doing it, so the question is WHY? You constantly degraded, denounce, argue, use pejorative explanations in your posts, and it's getting redonkulous . The guy who is one here who is a business man, I could care less , I just won't patronize his business, and he constantly posts that it's okay he could care less, and his website is devoted to explanations of how he doesn't care , if you piss him off on the phone he'll just go Soup errr Shotgun Nazi on you and say "No Shotgun for you!!!" Whatever, his business, his deal. I'm gonna buy my 34 year, retired police Captain dad a shotgun for his 60th birthday, and I just wont get it from him. But you? Why? You keep on talking like a doosh. OK we get it you have a PHD. But there is a saying I was explained a long time ago, some people around here (particularly the Shotgun board) should take heed.... If enough ppl tell you you're drunk, lie the ****** down and go to sleep. If enough ppl tell you you're an arrogant condescending doosh, you might just be talking like it.

What the hell do I know, I'm only a consumer who votes with my wallet and has been raised by a famous LEO.

Jay S.
05-22-2010, 07:47

My Benelli Nova is my "foul weather/thick brush/wet/nasty environment" shotgun. It has one or two scratches on it.:supergrin: It has yet to start rusting.