No sling shot ?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : No sling shot ??

mike28w
05-18-2010, 18:38
Hi !
I've just been shooting my new PM9. Have shot 50 rounds through with absolutely no problems....quite accurate too !

Just a question.... I have always been told ( and trained) to use the " sling shot" method for loading the first round from a new mag. I know that Kahr says you should use the slide release..... but it does go against my training.....

Is there anything that can be done to make sure that the gun will reliably chamber a round if I use the "sling shot " method ???

Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated !! mike

the perfesser
05-18-2010, 20:48
Many of us can't do it, no matter how much we try. So there is no "way" to make "sure" for everyone with ordinary hand strength / dextrous aptitude. But some can. Maybe you will be one of them.

If not:
(a) alter training, carry in condition #1, and hope that clearing a feed, ignition, or ejection problem doesn't leave you with the slide forward; OR
(b) accept that the PM9 is not for you

ripley16
05-19-2010, 04:43
If you do it correctly it should work. From a purely mechanical point of view, there is no difference in the energy imparted by the spring whether using the slide release or your hand. The problem is that some people refuse to simply let go of the slide as they should. All six of my Kahrs feed properly using the slingshot method. Grip the gun firmly, pull all the way back, let go... it should work.

Now, having said all that... I don't have a PM, but frankly, I don't see how that would matter, the model I mean.

user
05-19-2010, 05:45
I agree with Ripley16 - if you fail to pull the slide ALLLLL the way back, or fail to completely release it from that position, a Kahr may fail to chamber a round. I've found that to be true with T9, K9, and PM9, so I agree that it's pretty likely to affect every model.

Releasing the slide has to be done as a definite action. Ripley16 said that most folks won't actually do that, and I've seen 'em. What they do is hold on until they feel the slide moving forward, and then release.

You've got to completely release without and before any slide movement, and from the absolute rear-most position, for that method to work correctly with Kahrs.

Here's an analogy. When you come to a stop sign, you can tell when the car's actually stopped by the feeling of complete loss of motion. There's a sort of shudder the car will make, no matter how slowly you're going when you finally press the brake pedal all the way down. Most people don't do that, they roll through the stop, although very very slowly. Stopping requires a conscious act and knowledge that the car has actually lost all momentum. Releasing the slide properly requires the same kind of discipline. Though either can become a habit once one learns the technique and has practiced.

fastforty
05-20-2010, 00:23
Limp wristing a PM9 greatly increases the chance of it not returning fully to battery, whether slingshotting or under live fire.

alnitak
05-21-2010, 09:07
Sling-shotting with the PM9 will get easier with time. Don't rely on it until you have a few hundred rounds through the pistol.

I've had no issue with mine, once broken in. I'll just add to the comments about pulling back completely, and not riding the slide. Make sure that you push forward with the hand holding the pistol as you pull back the slide to it's fullest. You need to "energetically" slingshot the slide ... be firm and slingshot with commitment and you will be OK.

FLSlim
05-21-2010, 10:53
My CW9 has not problem with "sling shot" loading--IF I don't ride the slide. However, if this is a carry or SD weapon, why take a chance with your life, chamber a round using the slide release.

alnitak
05-21-2010, 14:08
However, if this is a carry or SD weapon, why take a chance with your life, chamber a round using the slide release.
Exactly! I don't understand why people think they are going to have time to pull the gun out of their pocket and then rack the slide. Not to mention the assumption that they will have two hands available.

I guess they figure they will see the attack coming with plenty of time to react.

poly glockahr
05-21-2010, 14:57
When I was a full time firearms instructor with my department, I would teach my students (recruit as well as in-service) to forcefully rack the slide like you were trying to rip the slide off the frame. (Your hand WILL naturally loose its hold on the slide.)
FWIW, I NEVER saw a slide come off and I ALWAYS saw a round successfully chambered...:wow:

bean66
05-22-2010, 13:44
I have a PM9 and have from day one used the sling shot method.
Ripley, poly and user all offer up some good advice regarding racking the slide. I always rack mine with Purpose. Just like poly describes.

I also cary concealed in condition 1.

Bronson
05-26-2010, 13:31
Exactly! I don't understand why people think they are going to have time to pull the gun out of their pocket and then rack the slide. Not to mention the assumption that they will have two hands available.

I guess they figure they will see the attack coming with plenty of time to react.

That's not the issue. The issue is returning it to battery after a malfunction. All of the techniques I know require slingshotting the slide to clear the malfunction and get it back in service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfyULpEhmug

Bronson

OldLincoln
05-26-2010, 20:47
I find to rack my Kahr PM9 correctly I have to push the strong hand forward while pulling the slide back with the weak hand. The motion rips the slide out of your weak hand taking most of the skin because of the razor sharp slide groves.

Well at least it 'feels' like it takes my skin off when I do it, which is a couple times per visit and some at home. I refuse to file the sharp edge off as it is a black slide and I don't want to screw it up.