.22 Conversion Kit Good For Training? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .22 Conversion Kit Good For Training?

CCF
05-20-2010, 21:51
I'm thinking it would be, but the only question I have is not having the realism of the recoil. Obviously, being able to put gobs of rounds downrange using the same pistol as the one you carry is a big benefit, just wondering about not getting the recoil of your carry caliber (in my case, it'll be a .40).

BTW, what conversion kit would you recommend?

Mas Ayoob
05-21-2010, 06:24
As you've noted, the shortcoming of the .22 conversion unit is the absence of "relevant recoil" for training to sustain rapid, accurate fire with full power ammo.

Where the conversion units shine is in drills such as draw to the shot, or precision fire. It gives you good, cheap trigger time with the exact same trigger you'll be manipulating for real if you need it. You don't get EVERYTHING with the cheap .22 ammo, but it's a TANSTAAFL thing -- there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Note that when there is little recoil or the shooter is practicing slow fire, there is a tendency to relax into "weak" stances that won't control significant recoil in rapid fire. By always "practicing seriously" with aggressive forward stance and firm grasp, even when shooting with the .22, the shooter using the conversion unit can avoid getting into bad habits with it.

Personally, since you asked, my own preferences are the Advantage Arms conversion unit for the Glock, SIG's own for their P-series pistol, Beretta's own for the 92/96 (now available again, I understand), and the Ceiner for the Browning Hi-Power. In the 1911, I like the Ceiner unit for quick draw practice, and use the Marvel when I want precision accuracy.

There are lots of other .22 conversion units out there, and a search in GT should turn up useful comments from those who've owned and used them more than I have.

best,
Mas

CCF
05-22-2010, 17:37
Much appreciate the reply, Mas.

Thanks for the info.