Scope Suggestions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scope Suggestions

cmb19
05-21-2010, 11:16
I hope this is a good spot for me to post this...I don't normally frequent the rimfire forum.
I picked up a Marlin 925 a couple days ago, primarily for squirrel hunting, but mostly just cause I wanted my own .22 to mess around with. I need some recommendations on a nice scope for when I am hunting. I don't want to spend more than $100, preferably less, but I'll consider anything you guys mention. I know next to nothing about scopes, so you all will need to educate me.

I did pretty well at the range with the iron sights, but I have some trouble with my eyesight even with a scope so I need easily visible crosshairs. An example of what I mean is, the past 2 deer seasons I've used the same rifle/scope, but this past year I was not able to see the lines at all..of course I didn't realize this until I was in the woods watching a deer walk towards me. :upeyes:

KILLERtj
05-21-2010, 13:44
There are many great scopes out there for rimfire rifles.

I noticed that you do not have much experience with scopes, do you have any idea what power magnification you would be looking for?

I use a Simmons 22 Mag 4x scope on one of my rimfire rifles. It has great magnification at 25 & 50 yard targets, it has extremely cleap optics and holds zero very well. I bought this scope many years ago and it is still chugging along. The best part about this scope is the price: $35.

My other scope is a Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x. This scope really shines out at 100 yards with the extra magnification. It holds all the characteristics of the fixed power 22 Mag scope with the benefits of a little longer range. I have only owned this scope for a little over a year and couldn't be happier. Once again the price is very nice at $45.

Good Luck,
KILLERtj

MattHappyTrails
05-21-2010, 13:52
Could someone have accidently turned the recticle focus ring?

cmb19
05-21-2010, 13:53
That's part of my problem, I'm not sure what magnification would be ideal for me.

I always was shooting my fiance's 10/22 the same day and I like that scope better than the one he has on his Marlin. Now, I have no idea what brand this scope is, it has Model #1019 on the bottom of it, though I'm sure that will tell you absolutely nothing...but the power is 4x32WA..whatever WA stands for. Wow, this is embarrassing knowing so little about scopes. :embarassed:

cmb19
05-21-2010, 13:56
Could someone have accidently turned the recticle focus ring?

Nope, I asked Dad if there was anyway something like that could happen and he proceeded to show me that there was no way to move anything on the scope to change it. My dad got this gun when he was 12 and has had the same scope on it the whole time...he's never ever changed anything on it once it was sighted in, so it is now "stuck." That rifle shoots perfect with that scope if anyone else uses it...it's just me that's defective. :supergrin:

KILLERtj
05-21-2010, 16:14
cmb19- sounds like you might need a scope with an "adjustable objective." The ocular side of the scope (part you look through) has a "focus" adjustment which will bring the recticle (crosshair) into focus for your eyes.

My Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x scope has an adjustable objective, which is handy when my dad goes shooting with me. His eyes arent the greatest and this adjustment helps him a lot.

Good Luck,
KILLERtj

cmb19
05-21-2010, 16:29
cmb19- sounds like you might need a scope with an "adjustable objective." The ocular side of the scope (part you look through) has a "focus" adjustment which will bring the recticle (crosshair) into focus for your eyes.

My Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x scope has an adjustable objective, which is handy when my dad goes shooting with me. His eyes arent the greatest and this adjustment helps him a lot.

Good Luck,
KILLERtj

ChrisJn
05-21-2010, 17:04
I have a Marlin 60 and just purchased a cheap($79) red dot sight from http://www.primaryarms.com/. the MD-02 without riser and AK mount.
They sent a MD-04 which I assume is a slightly more recent model than advertised.
Had to buy a Weaver top mount base($7.99) to fit it to the dove tail on the rifle.
It is awesome for the money.

Dan
05-21-2010, 18:34
I put a CenterPoint 4x16x40 from Walmart.com for $64 on my 10/22. Great scope for the money.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoint-4-16x40mm-Scope/10248654

The CenterPoint 4-16x40mm scope features an adjustable objective from 5 yds to infinity, and has a red/green dual illuminated Mil-Dot reticle for the ever-changing light conditions from dusk to dawn. Zero in on your target with the adjustable windage and elevation dials that have zero locking/resetting capabilities. This scope is part of the CenterPoint Adventure Class of hunting optics which offers highly resolved images in all conditions and delivers superior performance at affordable prices.

* Adjustable brightness for red/green illumination; adjustable objection, parallax focus
* Parallax setting (yds): 5 to infinity
* Wind/elevation Adjustment dials have zero-locking/resetting
* Lens coating: multi-layer centerpoint advantage solution
* Nitrogen filled
* 100% Waterproof, fog proof and shock proof
* Flip-open covers included
* Weaver-style rings included
* Magnification: 4x-16x
* Reticle: Mil-Dot
* Illumination Reticle: Red and green adjustable brightness
* Objective: 40mm
* Tube diameter: 1"
* Click Value: 1/4
* Field of View: 30.0 ft - 8 yds
* Eye Relief (in): 3.9
* Exit Pupil (mm): 10.0- 2.6
* Weight (ozs): 18.8
* Length (in): 14.5
* Material: Aircraft-grade aluminum alloy; one-piece construction
* Color: Matte black, non-reflective finish
* Requires CR2032 (3V) batteries (included)
* Limited lifetime warranty

fmfdocglock
05-22-2010, 07:58
I just won a Savage 93R with the funky wood stock (whatever it is called) at a raffle this last week.

I took a Weaver 3-9x scope and high tactical rings off of one of my other rifles and mounted it on the .17 HMR.

Looking forward to taking it to the range and sighting it in.

I suspect I will be shooting it quite a bit given the relative inexpense of .17HMR amo.

cmb19
05-22-2010, 08:11
I just won a Savage 93R with the funky wood stock (whatever it is called) at a raffle this last week.

I took a Weaver 3-9x scope and high tactical rings off of one of my other rifles and mounted it on the .17 HMR.

Looking forward to taking it to the range and sighting it in.

I suspect I will be shooting it quite a bit given the relative inexpense of .17HMR amo.

Lucky you...I never win anything...ever. My dad and brother have this insane luck, if I didn't have bad luck I'd have none at all. My dad has won half the guns in his collection, and it's a decent sized collection. My jerk brother managed to win a $2000 Benelli. :shocked:

I actually thought about getting a .17 after shooting dad's (one of the guns he won) but I also have seen what they do to squirrels and if I'm supposed to eat any squirrel, the .17 isn't going to work.

cmb19
05-22-2010, 08:15
Oh, another question...I see the scope Dan posted uses batteries. I don't know how common it is to have batteries in scopes, I don't think I've ever even personally seen a scope that uses them...are they something that needs replaced often? See, I told you I know nothing about scopes...maybe I just never realized any of the scopes I've seen used batteries.

fmfdocglock
05-22-2010, 14:04
Lucky you...I never win anything...ever. My dad and brother have this insane luck, if I didn't have bad luck I'd have none at all. My dad has won half the guns in his collection, and it's a decent sized collection. My jerk brother managed to win a $2000 Benelli. :shocked:

I actually thought about getting a .17 after shooting dad's (one of the guns he won) but I also have seen what they do to squirrels and if I'm supposed to eat any squirrel, the .17 isn't going to work.

I go to the charity raffles without expectation of winning anything. My luck usually sucks. A pleasant surprise this time.

Dan
05-22-2010, 14:06
Oh, another question...I see the scope Dan posted uses batteries. I don't know how common it is to have batteries in scopes, I don't think I've ever even personally seen a scope that uses them...are they something that needs replaced often? See, I told you I know nothing about scopes...maybe I just never realized any of the scopes I've seen used batteries.

The only reason the one I posted does is because it has an illuminate retical.

cmb19
05-22-2010, 20:58
I go to the charity raffles without expectation of winning anything. My luck usually sucks. A pleasant surprise this time.

I just got home from a benefit for one of my nurses that has cancer...I won the 50/50 tonight...of course I gave the money to her...that's my luck. :rofl:

cmb19
05-22-2010, 20:59
The only reason the one I posted does is because it has an illuminate retical.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, that might actually be something good for me to use. Are they a pain to deal with?