30 or 36 or 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 30 or 36 or 1911

Java
05-21-2010, 18:07
I was thinking of getting a 30 or 30sf however how is the recoil of the 36 as it may conceal better. Or also a 1911 probably commader size. There is not a place I can try them out at here so I was looking for som one who has many experiences with different styles of hanguns.
Thanks,
Brian

Mas Ayoob
05-22-2010, 11:53
Bummer that you can't find a way to try them one against the other, Brian, 'cause that's where you'll find the real answer.

I know folks who prefer the 36 to the 30 because they can wrap "more hand" around its narrower grip-frame, and thus gain more control and more trigger reach.

There are also folks (I'm one of them) who own both the 30-series and the 36, and prefer the fatter gun because the slim-framed 36 feels as if it's slipping or shifting in their hand on recoil.

1911 v. Glock in small .45? A lot of that will be determined subjectively by the shooter. Habituation will be a factor. Each has a different barrel to grip angle; I know folks for whom the Glock points naturally and the 1911 points low, and folks for whom the 1911 points like an extension of their hand, but the Glock points high for them. And then there's the matter of the distinctly different Glock trigger pull vis-a-vis 1911 trigger pull to consider.

Can't learn all of that in the gun shop without live fire, but you can at least get a sense of "pointability" and "feel," both of which are too subjective to take some other guy's recommendation on.

Sorry to sound ambiguous, but it's an ambiguous topic.

Best,
Mas