recovery time between 40 cal and 9mm in +P or +P+ [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : recovery time between 40 cal and 9mm in +P or +P+

jack76590
05-21-2010, 22:04
Many pistols, especially glocks, are available chambered in 9mm and 40 in the same frame size. The 9mm people often mention as advantages the recovery time/control and larger magazine capacity of the 9mm.

No question about larger magazine capacity, however slight, but I have to wonder about recovery time/control advantage of 9mm over 40, when the +P or +P+ ammo is used in 9mm. To my knowledge there is no +P 40 ammo.

So my question is based on your training and observation of many shooters. Do you find for most people that 9mm in +P or +P+ offers much in terms of recovery time and general control over the 40, when similar model pistols are used, eg G19 vs. G23?

Do me this is an important point when dealing with a similar pistol offered in both 9mm or 40, if you intend to use +P or +P+ in the 9mm. If the recovery time/control is basically similar then the question is do you want one or two more rounds or a somewhat larger hole.

Mas Ayoob
05-22-2010, 11:34
Jack, the hottest +P+ from a 9mm Glock 17 will feel roughly the same as a light .40 load (i.e., 165 grain subsonic) from a Glock 22. Something like the 155 grain/1200 FPS .40 round popularized by the Border Patrol will be considerably snappier.

Each shooter has to measure time and accuracy with both guns to find which is going to have the best balance for them. Identical format Glock 9mm and Glock 40 pistols can be fired at the same speed, but shot dispersal will increase slightly with the harder kicking round. At close range, that increased dispersal won't be terribly significant.

Look at it this way: I've seen Scott Warren win an IDPA championship shooting a full power M&P .40 against other Masters with 9mms, and at the next IDPA Nationals Dave Sevigny and Robert Vogel could shoot the .40 caliber Glock 35s they use in USPSA and still beat everyone present who was shooting a 9mm, but in IDPA where the .40 has no advantage, both of these great champions shoot their 9mm Glock 34s.

What I'm saying is, each individual shooter needs to try both 9mm and .40 to determine which caliber in the same pistol format will give them the balance of speed/accuracy/power with which they are most comfortable and competent. That ideal balance will differ between individuals, for many reasons.

Best,
Mas