Semi-Auto with easy to rack slide for wife [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Auto with easy to rack slide for wife

Caine
05-22-2010, 10:52
Mas,
I have had some magazine issues recently with my wife's Ruger P-95, and I am looking to upgrade her car gun. She attempted to rack an FNP 40 I have and cut here hand on it. Glocks, my first choice, also give her fits. She has limited upper body strength and difficulty racking the slide on auto pistols. I don't want to use a revolver or an auto with a round in the chamber because of our kids, thus we generally go "Israeli-style" for her gun. I lean towards 9mm for her application. Is there a major brand, mid or full size auto that requires less effort to rack the slide? I want to keep it 9mm or above.

Thank you, sir.

Mas Ayoob
05-22-2010, 11:13
Since you and she have made up your minds on the issue of carrying with an empty chamber, I won't address that here.

You certainly came to the right forum. The Glock pistol is one of the easiest to "rack" positively and efficiently. It will work even better if (a) the Glock is carried with the trigger forward, so additional slide-pulling effort is not required to reset it, and (b) the magazine is downloaded by one cartridge. This puts less pressure on the remaining cartridge stack, so the topmost cartridge does not press as hard nor cause as much friction against the bottom of the slide when the user racks the gun.

With an outside hammer pistol that is double action for the first shot only, there will be less force required to rack the slide if the shooter cocks the hammer first. Now the hammer and its powerful mainspring are no longer holding the slide forward and resisting the shooter's attempt to retract the slide to the rear.

The shooter also wants to learn to drive the slide to the rear with the support hand while driving the frame forward with the firing hand, using the force of the entire body to gain maximum force. Digging the rear foot into the ground and turning with the hips will help to get full body weight into the slide activation.

Wishing the best of luck to both you and her,
Mas