G20s and Buffalo Bore ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G20s and Buffalo Bore ammo

Nemesis Lead
05-22-2010, 20:01
Buffalo Bore claims that when shooting its heavy 10mm ammo, the Glock 20 will unlock early and release propellant gases. Presumably, accuracy suffers and the gun gets beat up a little bit.

My question is....should I be running a heavier recoil spring for "heavy" ammunition? If so.....what weight seems to work best?

Note--I run the Glock 20 with both a 4.6 and a 6 inch barrels if that makes any difference. Also--this is for hunting/bear protection where I want to use more powerful ammo.

Thanks in advance.

Grrrr
05-22-2010, 20:22
You can also get severe spreads in velocity when shooting hot loads with a factory spring. Just remember that too heavy of a spring can lead to possible malfunctions when shooting lite ammo though. So what # spring really depends. You could always choose a middle of the road(20#) and see how that does for you. I personally use a 20# on my g20 and a 21# on my g29 with zero problems.

527varmint
05-23-2010, 10:16
22# spring and steal guide rod is what you want. They will not cause jams with light loads, not even with 40 s&w. I shot off 100 light loads and 150 bear killers last week it ran like a top. It just doesn't fling the brass as far.

This topic is beat to death on here.

Lots of people report bad accuracy with double tap and buffalo bore in stock barrels but I think its more to do with running a factory spring causing extreme velocity spread. The double taps wfngc seemed just as accurate to me as the lighter loads but more testing needed. Its atleast accurate enough for predator defense. Your not shooting very far when being attacked.

klmmicro
05-24-2010, 20:14
I have a 22# spring on a steel guide rod and have not had any problems. This is the same as 527 is saying. No issues running heavy loads (my own, DT or BB). I have a .40 conversion barrel and I used to swap the stock spring in, but I do not bother any more. The 22# is fine for the entire spread of what I shoot.

As fr accuracy from the stock barrel; no load, heavy or light, is "inaccurate" through it on my copy. I get a little flatter trajectory with my KKM 6", but it is not more accurate.