Texas? Gun Friendly? You Bet! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Texas? Gun Friendly? You Bet!

dglockster
05-22-2010, 22:44
New security at Texas Capitol. An express lane for people with guns. Really.

Wanna visit the state Capitol, but you're packing heat? No problem. Metal detectors have been installed this week at the Capitol. But there's an express lane for people with guns. That's correct -- visitors and lobbyists entering the Capitol in Austin must walk through metal detectors and have their purses and briefcases searched.

But Texans who carry a concealed pistol with a permit can glide through the checkpoints unimpeded -- as can state employees showing a valid state ID. The express lane for gun owners is clearly marked: "CHL Holders."

As Mike Ward of the Austin American-Statesman reports today, it's perhaps the only public building in the country where pistol-packing average Joes can walk through security undeterred. O Texas, our Texas ...

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/05/new-security-at-texas-capitol.html

ldcarson
05-23-2010, 02:53
Great! Now if only we could eat at resturants that serve alchol (Even though I don't drink) Its such a pain to unholster and lock it up...

S.O.Interceptor
05-23-2010, 11:25
Great! Now if only we could eat at resturants that serve alchol (Even though I don't drink) Its such a pain to unholster and lock it up...

You can. My wife does all the time. You just can't carry in a BAR. Restaurants that simply serve alcohol, but make less than 51% of their earnings from alcohol are 100% legal unless posted with the proper sign.

S.O.Interceptor
05-23-2010, 11:28
According to this guy, we're the least friendly gun state in the union.
Lets play a game, can you spot the misinformation in these posts?

No, Texas is not gun friendly. I frequently have to work in TX doing legal work for the judicial system. Texas does not even have gun rights most states have had for years.

Texas does not allow open carry. Their elected officials are too spineless to ask for open carry nor will they take issue with the Gov if it deals with guns.

Texas does not allow printing. Any hint of a gun being carried will get you an arrest record, several hours in jail and cost you the ownership of a gun. This is a non debatable issue in TX. Do it and the police will be called, even for visiting out of state LEO. When I have to work in TX questioning people or looking for someone, I learned to check in with the local PD and then advise them I may be carrying so avoid any calls from the area I will be in about me.

Texas does not allow in vehicle carry without a CCW. Persons travelling from other states may have their guns in their autos but they also have to comply with TX law (be unloaded, guns and ammo in different parts of the vehicle etc)

An illegal in TX will have more gun rights than a citizen of another state.

I love TX possibly more than any state but they have the worst gun laws around and I live 5 miles from the TX state line, not in TX just due to their gun laws and my employment.

You best tell that to your legislators and the Shelby COunty Sheriff's Office then. They made two arrests last weekend for printing and stopped a LA resident for a traffic violation, took a sidearm (a S&W mod 36) from her auto and issued a ticket for unlawful carry. They later returned the gun since a law about being from out of state and travelling a certain distance from their primary residence is in place.

BTW: I make my living knowing the laws in the states of Louisiana and Texas since I am in court much of the time in both states. How often do you stand before Judges in TX in cases involving gun crimes and what year did you pass the TX Bar. I did in 1998.

txinvestigator
05-23-2010, 17:11
According to this guy, we're the least friendly gun state in the union.
Lets play a game, can you spot the misinformation in these posts?

Everything he wrote is wrong. And people here suggest asking an attorney rather than posting questions about carry laws on this forum?

trifecta
05-23-2010, 18:53
Everything he wrote is wrong. And people here suggest asking an attorney rather than posting questions about carry laws on this forum?

Now, now. Let's not be too hard on him. He was right about no open carry.

Based on the rest of what he said, I suggest a mental health evaluation.

RenegadeGlocker
05-23-2010, 18:59
As Mike Ward of the Austin American-Statesman reports today, it's perhaps the only public building in the country where pistol-packing average Joes can walk through security undeterred. O Texas, our Texas ...

Negative.

Almost all public buildings you can walk through security undeterred.

RenegadeGlocker
05-23-2010, 19:02

No he wasn't.

You can open carry just about anything but a handgun without any significant restrictions. You can also open carry a handgun under a many circumstances.

txinvestigator
05-23-2010, 19:40

Nahhhh,

Texas generally proscribes the carry of handguns. There are, for non-LEOs, military, etc., 8 circumstances when the carry of handguns is allowed. Three of those prohibit open carry, one demands it, and the other 4 are silent on open or concealed carry, meaning open carry is allowed.

So the truth is, when Texas allows the carry of handguns for civilians, 50% of the circumstances allow open carry, 12.5% requires open carry, and 37.5% prohibits it.

I'll add that I think oldman1946 is a liar too. Unlawful carry is a class A, not a class C ticketable offense. And there is NO law in Texas about possession of a handgun if you are from another state and are so many miles from your residence.

Glock-it-to-me
05-23-2010, 19:57
Nahhhh,

Texas generally proscribes the carry of handguns. There are, for non-LEOs, military, etc., 8 circumstances when the carry of handguns is allowed. Three of those prohibit open carry, one demands it, and the other 4 are silent on open or concealed carry, meaning open carry is allowed.

So the truth is, when Texas allows the carry of handguns for civilians, 50% of the circumstances allow open carry, 12.5% requires open carry, and 37.5% prohibits it.

I'll add that I think oldman1946 is a liar too. Unlawful carry is a class A, not a class C ticketable offense. And there is NO law in Texas about possession of a handgun if you are from another state and are so many miles from your residence.

We can open carry full auto long guns.