Clean & Lube [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Clean & Lube

crasha51pan
05-23-2010, 07:40
Just got my new PM9, am in the process of breaking it in. I am able to walk out the cabin and shoot, here is my question:
If I walk by a stump and decide to fire off a magazine just to get the initial 200 rounds though it, do I need to break the gun down and lube everything or will just cleaning the barrel be OK. I did take it down and clean and lube everything when I received it and as of now have maybe 20 rounds through it. With that few rounds, do I need to do the "lube and oil" process all over again ?

Fenderman
05-23-2010, 08:02
I would wait till at least i had a 100rds through it since you cleaned and lubed it when you got it.Some do the whole 200rd breakin before they clean and lube again.Then others clean and lube everytime they shoot no matter how many rounds they shoot at a time.Your choice either way you should be ok.Congrats on your PM9.Let us know how she is doing after 200rd breakin.

ripley16
05-23-2010, 08:06
do I need to do the "lube and oil" process all over again ?

No, not really. If you are purposing to just blow through a bunch of rounds in the near future to "break-in" the pistol, there isn't really any gain from cleaning unless you plan on taking a long time to accomplish it...say a few months.

Almost any modern gun, with modern ammo, is capable of going thousands of rounds between cleaning. Any lube, if applied correctly, will certainly last through a few hundred rounds if shot in a reasonably short time. Over many weeks or months some lubes will dry up.

People that carry their guns for protection are usually a bit anal about cleaning after each use, I know I am, but for just about any other purpose, there's no great reason to clean after only a mag or two.

Enjoy your new PM.