Should we rely on two hands at all? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Should we rely on two hands at all?

Deaf Smith
05-23-2010, 18:00
Guys,

Remember the interesting discussion on chamber empty carry and wither one will have two hands to manipulate the slide when desired?

Well that got me to thinking. I point this out because is I see lots of AIWB (Appendix Inside Waist Band) carry examples of training but most of them require you to use the other hand to expose the weapon, same goes for ‘tuckable’ holsters. Since we cannot guarantee we will have two mitts to do most task, should we not make sure we are capable of one handed operation in most defensive related task (and do them well?) And in cases such as drawing ones weapon, it should be the primary way to draw (one handed that is.)

And we can expand that to include shooting, re-holstering, reloading, and even H2H techniques. But especially drawing and shooting.

Deaf

GlocksterPaulie
05-23-2010, 18:16
Great thinking DS. I never have relied on Two hands, it is really tough in the protection business. I apply this to being with my family when we are out and to almost everything in my life.

I don't have any problems using Two hands but the threat if their is ever to be one would have to be a decent distance from me.

Paulie

Gallium
05-23-2010, 18:17
Deaf,

The prudent person trains to do with one hand (both hands, either hands) those tasks that they train to do with two.

I do.

'Drew

ps - degoodman, do you receieve PMs? I sent you one recently.

lostone1413
05-23-2010, 18:49
When you figure something like 90% of the attacks happen at a distance of 10 feet or less and the majority of them happen at 6 feet or less. What chance would you give someone of being able to get both hands on the gun much less rack a gun. You can bet the majority of your shooting you will be point shooting. If you think not try some force on force training The you will know what the odds favor you can and can't do

Sam Spade
05-23-2010, 20:12
I can't speak to tuckables.

As for AIWB, I've got little problem running them one-handed. It requires an up-down motion with the gun hand, but it works from standing, seated or while in motion.

For the larger issue, I strongly agree that you have to plan on doing things one-handed.

degoodman
05-23-2010, 20:18
Deaf,

The prudent person trains to do with one hand (both hands, either hands) those tasks that they train to do with two.

I do.

'Drew

ps - degoodman, do you receieve PMs? I sent you one recently.

I do get PM's. Response coming probably later tonight. My internet time has been somewhat reduced this week, because, oh, we had our second son Tuesday. everybody is healthy, happy and home, but things are a little busier for some reason that the other parents might remember...

On the topic at hand, I agree that we need to train ourselves to operate with one or two hands, strong handed and weak handed, at least for our most critical defensive skills. Would I spend alot of minutes training weak hand - one handed with a long gun, probably not. But if you can't draw your pistol at least strong hand only, you probably need to re-evalauate your primary mode of carry.

While you're training to do all this one handed action, spend a few minutes noting what works well, and what doesn't work so good while you're doing it. Assume your performance will be no better than half as good under stress. You may be able to execute a weak hand only draw on the range, with some effort, and still not very cleanly. Based on that, if you're in that position on the street, would it be better to try that in a fight, or move on to plan B, or plan C for getting out of the situation?

We also owe it to ourselves to be reasonable in our efforts. Sure, a deeply concealed pistol may be harder to draw, but the alternative for many of us with real jobs that require a certain mode of dress, laws that force us to be legitimately concealed at all times or face penalties, or just living in an area where exposing a firearm would cause problems would be to have no gun at all, which is obviously a worse situation. We have to accept that even though its on our person, depending on the circumstances an ankle gun, deeply tucked IWB, or smart carried gun may not be accessable to us in all out fights, and we must craft our defensive responses accordingly.

rvrctyrngr
05-23-2010, 20:30
An accident a few years ago left me, for all intents and purposes, one-handed for almost 6 months (off-handed, at that). I could hold a knife, but that's about it.

I had to ensure that my carry/deployment methods worked without the use of my second hand. I carried AIWB most of that time because that was easiest for me, given the circumstances.

Range time was mostly dedicated to half-hip/three-quarter hip shooting out to a max of about 30ft.

Reloads, if necessary? Wasn't happening until near the end of the healing process. Carried a BUG all the time, instead.

Interesting time.

PhoneCop
05-23-2010, 22:24
Since we cannot guarantee we will have two mitts to do most task, should we not make sure we are capable of one handed operation in most defensive related task (and do them well?) And in cases such as drawing ones weapon, it should be the primary way to draw (one handed that is.)

Yes, we should make sure.

We just don't.

David Armstrong
05-24-2010, 10:11
Sure, there are no guarantees that one will have two hands available. But there are no guarantees one will have a hand available, or any of a variety of other factors. It becomes an issue of preparing for likely events and how much one is willing to invest of their resources. Degoodman, as usual, makes some salient points. We are restricted by a variety of factors, many beyond our immediate control. AIB and tuckable holsters can be utilized one-hnaded, it just takes a different (and sometimes slower) method of presentation. So, how much time do we spend honing a second method of presentation at teh expense of the primary method of presentation? For many it becomes a bit of a trade-off and a cost-benefit analysis.