Flashlight thread 2010 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight thread 2010

mrdann
05-25-2010, 12:01
I am going to nights for the first time in 4 years. My old Magcharger and G2L seem outdated. Researching the newest generation of options makes my head spin. So......please discuss; What light(s) meets the following criteria?

1) Long run time (one charge or set of batteries should last AT LEAST a 12 hour shift)

2) Cheap to run (rechargeables have the edge, but what are the options and how long does it take for a full recharge?)

3) BRIGHT (200 lumens seems to be a good starting point, with the possibility of 500 or 700 or more)

4) Small size, light weight, and durability

5) Simplicity (I like ON/OF, with maybe, 1 or 2 lower settings to conseve battery life or avoid blinding oneself inside. I don't want to push some long convoluted combination of buttons to get the thing on/off).

Any input on these specific lights? Fenix TK40, 5.11 Light For Life, Magcharger with Terralux LED

rdrkt
05-25-2010, 12:33
1) Long run time (one charge or set of batteries should last AT LEAST a 12 hour shift)
No light is going that puts out a substantial amount of light is going to be able to last 12hrs of night work. Most high output light last less than 1.5hrs. If its that important you can pack an extra set of batteries they are small.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.33550 That is my personal favorite. You can get that light a charger and a rechargeable battery for $35 bucks. The light fits in a surefire holster for your duty belt and its beefy enough to survive at work. I use a much brighter bulb in a similar host but I paid a lot more for the bulb.
I think the question is how much are you looking to spend and what size of light are you looking for?
Any input on these specific lights? Fenix TK40, 5.11 Light For Life, Magcharger with Terralux LEDI like the output of the Fenix but I prefer lights that go on or off. I think 8 modes is hokey. The MC-E Led in a P60 size in my surefire clone and I love it but its not the latest and greatest out there right now. The rest of the lights you mention aren’t that great.

mrdann
05-25-2010, 12:43
I think the question is how much are you looking to spend and what size of light are you looking for?
I like the output of the Fenix but I prefer lights that go on or off. I think 8 modes is hokey. The MC-E Led in a P60 size in my surefire clone and I love it but its not the latest and greatest out there right now. The rest of the lights you mention arenít that great.

I agree the 8 modes is "hokey".

I'll spend what I have to, but not more. There's a bunch of lights that seem to have less light AND less run time than the G2L yet cost 4-5 times as much. I don't get that.

shootindave
05-25-2010, 13:39
Stinger

pal2511
05-25-2010, 14:24
Streamlight Strion LED and Mag CHarger on carstops is what I use when I work midnights.

DaBigBR
05-25-2010, 14:34
The Strion LED, IMO is absolutely the best, all-around, compact light out there. It's small enough to stick in to a pocket, but big enough to hold on to. It's rechargeable, it's bright, it has an intuitive dimmer and strobe system that does not result in confusion or problems, its bezel is designed to keep it from rolling away and its barrel is designed for rail mounting. It really is just a outstanding piece of equipment.

For a direct replacement to the G2LED, I would look at the Streamlight Polytac. The output is brighter than the G2LED with about the same run time and size. It also comes with a "click tailcap, which is WAY better than the G2's twist cap. It fits the V70 holster for the G2 both bezel up and bezel down. Amazon had them for $34 a few weeks ago. This light is so good for its price that I also think everybody should have one. My ONE complaint is that the momentary function on the taill cap is just a little touchy, which has caused a couple of "white light NDs" when popping it back in to the V70 holster.

For full-size lights, I still prefer the Streamlight SL20 with the low intensity LEDs. I think that they coiuld do a little better on the "primary" bulb for it, but coupled with the excellent low intensity LEDs (great for reading documents, navigating in the dark, etc), it makes the light a viable choice. I prefer the polymer one, but I understand why others prefer the metal. I also like what I have seen from the Pelican 8060. The lack of muiltiple brightness settings is disappointing though.

Finally, I also have been favorably impressed by the 5.11 Light for Life. It is lightweight and bright, charges extremely fast, has a decent switching system, etc. My problems with it are that the grip is simultaneous a little to thick and a bit on the thick side. I haven't dropped mine yet, but the extra bulk and poor grip are noticeable.

I would be very cautious about getting too caught up in the lumens game. Brightness is a good thing, but it can also be a bad thing. I have seen this in going from the X200 to the X300 for a pistol light. The extra brightness makes for serious reflection problems when working indoors. I would say that you should consider the role of the light that you buy more than the brightness. I carry two compact lights one me: the Polytac on my belt with its single brightness level for "quick" work and the Strion LED in my pocket with the dimmer for more involved tasks. I also have the SL20XP-LED and the 5.11 LFL in the car...usually one of them is with me also.

JTipper.45
05-25-2010, 15:05
+1 on the Strion LED. I haven't got ahold of the Strion LED HP yet but working on one. It may be the perfect cross between the strion and Stinger. For a duty size light I like my Pelican 8060. Keeps a charge for days and if something happens I can through in 4 C size batteries in a pinch.

mrdann
05-25-2010, 15:09
How about the Fenix TK11R5 - 285 lumens for 2.7hrs or 60 for 14 hrs

or

the Olight M30 - 700 lumens for 1.5 hrs, 120 lumens for 9 hrs, or 8 lumens for 90 hrs

Both use rechargeable 18650 batteries OR CR123 batteries

Or

the newer PC300 Light For Life - 270 lumens, or 70, or custom setting for 1hr, but recharges in only 90 seconds

Strion LED - 160 lumens for 2hrs, 80 for 4, or 40 for 7 recharges in 3hrs but batteries come out for charging

Polytac -130 lumens for 3hrs uses CR123

G2LED - 80 lumens for 12 hours

My head is spinning.........

I'm a little surprised by the votes for Strion and Stinger. They were the "Go To" lights 4 years ago. Has nothing surpassed these since then?

rjrivero
05-25-2010, 15:10
I use an Olight M30. With 18650's the run time is pretty good. The interface is nice, single button on the butt of the light. You can carry standard 123's for backup.

LINK HERE (http://www.olightusa.com/detail.asp?id=12).

http://www.olightusa.com/bigpic/20098211018347641.jpg

ugly8604
05-25-2010, 15:22
Pelican without a doubt.

Mattz
05-25-2010, 15:24
Pelican without a doubt.

Yup. Mine is very bright, and small enough to stick in my side cardo pocket. I make a lot of traffic stops and rarely have a problem with it going dead in a 12 hour shift.

mrdann
05-25-2010, 15:29
Yup. Mine is very bright, and small enough to stick in my side cardo pocket. I make a lot of traffic stops and rarely have a problem with it going dead in a 12 hour shift.

Is this the 8060 or another model?

rjrivero,
How is the 700 lumens? As expected or gimmick? Hows the weight/size?

Mattz
05-25-2010, 15:44
Is this the 8060 or another model?

rjrivero,

7060 I believe... it's the smaller version that LAPD uses. It's small enough to carry in your cargo pocket but big enough, I think, you could use it if you were upcreek.

fla2760
05-25-2010, 16:24
No one uses the MAG LITES anymore? Mine came in handy more than a few times. :uglylol:

rjrivero
05-25-2010, 16:42
rjrivero,
They are out the front lumens. It's definitely bright. Almost too bright for inside search and clear. The medium setting is much better for that kind of use.

As for size comparison, here are some pictures that may help understand size.

With the tube extension:
Left to right:
Olight M30
Dorcy 41-4292 LED 6 Watt K2 Terminator
Mini Maglight
K2 Element
Surefire G2 Nitrolon
Surefire E2e
AA Battery
AAA Battery
CR123A Battery

http://www.moviephotoforums.com/photopost/data/650/medium/ComproExtended.JPG (http://www.moviephotoforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=8480)

Without the tube extension:
http://www.moviephotoforums.com/photopost/data/650/medium/Comparison.JPG (http://www.moviephotoforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=8479)

ugly8604
05-25-2010, 16:51
7060 I believe... it's the smaller version that LAPD uses. It's small enough to carry in your cargo pocket but big enough, I think, you could use it if you were upcreek.

A guy in my department used his 7060 in a fight. He ripped off the suspects ear with it.

Mattz
05-25-2010, 17:07
A guy in my department used his 7060 in a fight. He ripped off the suspects ear with it.

lol... wouldn't mind hearing that one! No pun intended.

DennisW
05-25-2010, 18:34
I use an Olight M30. With 18650's the run time is pretty good. The interface is nice, single button on the butt of the light. You can carry standard 123's for backup.

LINK HERE (http://www.olightusa.com/detail.asp?id=12).

I second the recommendation for the Olight M30. I have been using one on duty for a few months now with no major issues. Lotsa light, good UI for tactical use, lotsa battery choices, good size. However, I changed to the smooth tail cap so it fits into all my regular 1" light pouches.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-m30-tailcap.html

There is also a new M20S that has the same UI in a smaller, 6P size, 320lumen (probably 230ish OTF) single 18650 battery package.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-specops-m20-r5.html

The new Surefire Z2S looks great too, but with unknown rechargeable options.

Dennis.

Jayman
05-25-2010, 18:37
It isn't on your list, but look at the Fenix TA21. Powered by two CR123s or a rechargeable equivalent. It has 12 modes, but instead of having to manipulate the tailcap switch in weird ways, the output is selected by a rotating dial around the flashlight bezel. Low modes give usable output and long runtime, whereas the high mode is like 225 lumens and will still go for 1.5 hours at that rate. A flashlight pouch from diamondback tactical fits it nicely and works on a ballistic nylon duty belt. Amazon has the light for $82, the pouch is $13, and so you can get out the door for less than $100 for a VERY usable light.

ditchdoc24
05-25-2010, 21:05
The state of the art in field lighting is pretty much LED these days. Longer run times and brighter lights are easy to have and come from a variety of manufacturers. I use a Stinger LED HP and a Stinger DS LED. My department has Magchargers or SL20s mounted in all of the patrol cars but I never use them except to lend to another officer.

rdrkt
05-25-2010, 22:32
I'm a little surprised by the votes for Strion and Stinger. They were the "Go To" lights 4 years ago. Has nothing surpassed these since then?
I think both are heavy and dim but cops are always afraid to try new things. The 6p sized light I use is lighter smaller and brighter.

DaBigBR
05-25-2010, 22:48
Strion LED - 160 lumens for 2hrs, 80 for 4, or 40 for 7 recharges in 3hrs but batteries come out for charging

Incorrect. The batteries stay in it and it is locked in to the "C" clamp style charger that the incan Strion and Stinger used. It uses the same charger and batteries as the incan Strion. In fact, I ordered my LED strion with no charger.

DaBigBR
05-25-2010, 22:56
I want to add that I would be cautious about straying from Streamlight and Surefire. I know that the Fenix and Orlight (and other brands as well) lights are some of the biggest things going right now, but realistically we are still in first and second generation products from those companies when it comes to switching and construction...the LEDs have been upgraded repeatedly, but the same basic light is there.

I started buying Fenix lights at least three (maybe four) years ago. I have a P1, P1DCE, P3D, and the original T-1 (particularly the OD green version). All are decent lights, none are a Surefire or Streamlight. The T-1 was the first "tactical" light from Fenix. I wore it on my belt for over two years until the switch started shorting out. The light was manufactured for less than a year and then discontinued. It sits in a drawer now because it does not exist any more and no parts are available. I KNOW that if it were a Streamlight or Surefire that it would be fixed promptly and at no charge.

And don't get me wrong - I am absolutely NOT saying that the "other" companies make an inferior product, I'm saying that we don't know nearly as much about their products as we do about Streamlight or Surefire (or even Pelican). A lot of these "other" companies are relatively "decentrailized" in that their products are made overseas and distributed by HUNDREDS of sellers. Sometimes finding information for the "home office" to deal with issues can be difficult.

scottydl
05-25-2010, 23:14
Finally, I also have been favorably impressed by the 5.11 Light for Life. It is lightweight and bright, charges extremely fast, has a decent switching system, etc.

"Extremely fast" charging is almost an understatement. A full charge in 90 seconds people, 90 SECONDS! 2 hours of runtime which is as good as (or better than) any decently bright halogen bulb, not that it matters because you can fully recharge in 90 seconds. :) Maybe everyone already knows that but I was amazed. Of course it's the newest thing out there and thus high dollar, but that's gotta be the technology that will take over eventually. Colleague of mine has both the compact and full size versions, and I was quite impressed with the brightness and weight (or lack thereof, they weigh almost nothing).

Otherwise my trusty standby has always been the Stinger XT/HP, which is small enough to fit on my belt and large enough to eliminate the need for a separate full size light. But a mid-shift dead battery left me lightless more than once.

lawman800
05-25-2010, 23:32

Dang it... I had a pic of my lights lined up for size comparison. My duty light for nights is my Pelican M7060, the same one that LAPD uses. Our station has Streamlight SL-20X for issue but I never take it out of the charger bank. I prefer my Pelican. It's got 130 lumens and that's plenty bright for police work because it has a good throw and wide lighting path.

My Fenix PD30 has 230 lumens on high mode but the throw is narrow because it is a pen light, basically. The brightness is good but it is not of much use when I am looking into a big room or hallway. I need a good throw more than peak lumens.

Also, BigDR is right about too much light being a hindrance. I bought the Fenix TK40 just because of the 630 lumen peak output... it was fun the first few times to throw that much light out but when I used it indoors, I blinded myself with all the reflected light.

White walls or most light surfaces indoors will throw back obscene amounts of light when you hit it with 630 lumens. If I am going to use less lumens in a reduced mode, then the TK40 becomes a bit too big for general carry because I got the Pelican that works just as well and it's smaller and fits on my belt.

lawman800
05-25-2010, 23:34

Bet the suspect didn't hear the last of him yet... or did he?:whistling:

PinkoCommie
05-25-2010, 23:40
I have a small light as a backup on my belt. It is there just in case. At night, I don't do anything without my Pelican 8060. It is awesome. Between the brightness, battery life, LED (v. incandescent), price, durability and simplicity, it is the best light I've used.

DennisW
05-26-2010, 01:28
It isn't on your list, but look at the Fenix TA21. Powered by two CR123s or a rechargeable equivalent. It has 12 modes, but instead of having to manipulate the tailcap switch in weird ways, the output is selected by a rotating dial around the flashlight bezel. Low modes give usable output and long runtime, whereas the high mode is like 225 lumens and will still go for 1.5 hours at that rate. A flashlight pouch from diamondback tactical fits it nicely and works on a ballistic nylon duty belt. Amazon has the light for $82, the pouch is $13, and so you can get out the door for less than $100 for a VERY usable light.

My one major issue with the TA21 and all the Fenix rotating ring lights is that the ring has no STOP to it. It just rotates 360 forever and you can never know where it is unless you look, which isn't always possible. If it stopped on HIGH, which it should, then I could take this light more seriously. I have one and I would have to say the build quality is slightly better than my beloved Olight.

Dennis.

DennisW
05-26-2010, 01:34
I want to add that I would be cautious about straying from Streamlight and Surefire. I know that the Fenix and Orlight (and other brands as well) lights are some of the biggest things going right now, but realistically we are still in first and second generation products from those companies when it comes to switching and construction...the LEDs have been upgraded repeatedly, but the same basic light is there.

I started buying Fenix lights at least three (maybe four) years ago. I have a P1, P1DCE, P3D, and the original T-1 (particularly the OD green version). All are decent lights, none are a Surefire or Streamlight. The T-1 was the first "tactical" light from Fenix. I wore it on my belt for over two years until the switch started shorting out. The light was manufactured for less than a year and then discontinued. It sits in a drawer now because it does not exist any more and no parts are available. I KNOW that if it were a Streamlight or Surefire that it would be fixed promptly and at no charge.

And don't get me wrong - I am absolutely NOT saying that the "other" companies make an inferior product, I'm saying that we don't know nearly as much about their products as we do about Streamlight or Surefire (or even Pelican). A lot of these "other" companies are relatively "decentrailized" in that their products are made overseas and distributed by HUNDREDS of sellers. Sometimes finding information for the "home office" to deal with issues can be difficult.

I actually fully agree with this, especially for a non-gear-geek cop who will not be doing routine PM with their light. Stick with the basics. I do like my Pelican 7060 even though our first shipments had like a 25% failure rate. My Olight M30 is actually my "big light" I keep on my vest for whenever I need a lot of light, or light for a long time. It is backed up by a SF A2L on my belt and an X300 on my G17.

So if you aren't a gear geek who will keep up with his equipment, enjoys testing new equipment, and carries tested backups then I would also recommend to stay with Surefire, Streamlight, and maybe even Pelican.

Dennis.

Cochese
05-26-2010, 02:10
What is the baddest light that will fit a V70 and is rechargeable?

lsmountainman
05-26-2010, 07:48
I wear the Streamlight Strion on my belt with the Blackhawk Mod-U-Lok holder and use my Streamlight SL-20X for traffic stops.

strangepork
05-26-2010, 09:19
Pelican 7060. Throws a nice hotspot and floods quite nicely for searches as well.

rdrkt
05-26-2010, 09:24

This (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12890) body with the M60 MC-E bulb from this (http://www.malkoffdevices.com/compare-flashlights.php) guy. The bulb was $125 the last time I had him make it for me.

IMO there is NOTHING better for lighting up a car stop, house search, or looking in the grass for something someone just threw. This light is all flood and no spot which again IMO 90% of the need for a flashlight is too illuminate a close area that you are searching not something 200 yards away. That flashlight body accepts 18650s and the site has rechargeables for $5 a battery which gives that combo about an hr of life. I carry an extra battery on me just in case I do over an hr of searching. That particular body also has a removeable strike bezel.

trdvet
05-26-2010, 09:39
I have a custom surefire Z2 that was bored out to fit a 18650 rechargable. It's over 200 lumens and fits in the V70 holster. Nice light.

Candle Power Forums (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=236215)

ugly8604
05-26-2010, 10:12
I have a custom surefire Z2 that was bored out to fit a 18650 rechargable. It's over 200 lumens and fits in the V70 holster. Nice light.

Candle Power Forums (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=236215)

That pretty intense. How much did all that cost you?

DennisW
05-26-2010, 10:59

I just stuck my Olight M30 into a V70 and it fit fine, you just need to order the one with the smooth tailcap. You might want to use the 2x18500 rechargeable battery combo for OAL issues. I would consider the Olight M20S as well for a smaller light that takes a single 18650 but still puts out a good 230+ lumens.

I also have Malkoff MCE and other drop-ins and use them with sandwich shoppe 2 stage tailcaps. However, I'm still not sold on their reliability so if you want multiple power levels you need to look elsewhere.

That said, you will be hard pressed to find something brighter than the Olight M30 that will fit into a V70 and not be too long or have too big of a head and jab you in funny places as well as have a weird UI.

Dennis.

Broke Hoss
05-26-2010, 14:00
I started with an Streamlight SL35 dangling from a ring on my belt and added a Surefire 6P as a backup a few years later. That big ol light got me into a few locked cars with windows up & KO'd a guy who was fighting for an officer's gun. There are time I miss that 2ft of "thump".

I've been carrying a Streamlight Stinger for the past several years & I'm in the process of upgrading to the LED/DS model. I have a smaller Pelican tucked in my waistband; a Blackhawk Xiphos on my pistol & Streamlight Polytac on my 870.

I'm of the KISS school of thought & really prefer the on/off/momentary as the only functions. I know my weaponlight & the Stinger have the strobe function, but the only time I've found time to use them was signaling other officers my location. I did use it once to disorient a suspect, but I was the 3rd officer there. And it was a plan thrown together amongst the 3 of us as they had to turn thier lights off the suspect. It did work though.

Jabberwock
05-26-2010, 19:17
Just want to quickly throw my two cents in here. Like almost all of us, I have gone through any number of lights, and after some bad, some good, and a few great, I have now been using the Pelican 7060 for a little over two years, and I love it; it is the best by far. It gets used daily, is extremely bright, has massive distance, and, of course, is rechargable.

Others have mentioned some other fine lights, but I now recommend the Pelican 7060 to everyone.

trdvet
05-27-2010, 00:08
Surefire Z2 (left) (length 5 1/4")
Pelican 7060 (middle) (length 8 1/2")
2D Mag-Lite (right) (length 10")

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/trdvet/DSC01438.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/trdvet/DSC01437.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/trdvet/DSC01436.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/trdvet/DSC01435.jpg

Cochese
05-27-2010, 00:37
This (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12890) body with the M60 MC-E bulb from this (http://www.malkoffdevices.com/compare-flashlights.php) guy. The bulb was $125 the last time I had him make it for me.

IMO there is NOTHING better for lighting up a car stop, house search, or looking in the grass for something someone just threw. This light is all flood and no spot which again IMO 90% of the need for a flashlight is too illuminate a close area that you are searching not something 200 yards away. That flashlight body accepts 18650s and the site has rechargeables for $5 a battery which gives that combo about an hr of life. I carry an extra battery on me just in case I do over an hr of searching. That particular body also has a removeable strike bezel.

Very cool!

I just stuck my Olight M30 into a V70 and it fit fine, you just need to order the one with the smooth tailcap. You might want to use the 2x18500 rechargeable battery combo for OAL issues. I would consider the Olight M20S as well for a smaller light that takes a single 18650 but still puts out a good 230+ lumens.

I also have Malkoff MCE and other drop-ins and use them with sandwich shoppe 2 stage tailcaps. However, I'm still not sold on their reliability so if you want multiple power levels you need to look elsewhere.

That said, you will be hard pressed to find something brighter than the Olight M30 that will fit into a V70 and not be too long or have too big of a head and jab you in funny places as well as have a weird UI.

Dennis.

Pics of the M30 in the V70??? Or video of it going in and out if you are a true jedi. :cool:

DennisW
05-27-2010, 09:10
Very cool!

Pics of the M30 in the V70??? Or video of it going in and out if you are a true jedi. :cool:

So you don't believe me??? :tongueout:

I'll see what I can do...

trdvet
05-27-2010, 10:34
M20 Warrior in V70

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/trdvet/DSC01443.jpg

Bushido5150
05-27-2010, 10:51
Streamlight Ultra-stinger

Super bright, rechargeable, light weight

DennisW
05-27-2010, 11:30
OK, for the unbelievers...

Olight M30 in a Surefire V70. The M30 is configured without the extension using 2x18500 batteries and a smooth tailcap. This makes for the shortest OAL. It is a true 1" body and fits in the V70 just like any other 1" SF light.

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad74/stocknum/M30inV70.jpg

And even a video link for those truly in disbelief...

http://s923.photobucket.com/albums/ad74/stocknum/?action=view&current=MVI_1051.flv

Note: One handed video... :worried:

Dennis.

Cochese
05-27-2010, 11:41
My hero. But what's that condomon the Olight body?

DennisW
05-27-2010, 11:56
My hero. But what's that condomon the Olight body?

Duct tape. Comes in handy for all sorts of things...

Cochese
05-27-2010, 18:03
Duct tape. Comes in handy for all sorts of things...

Great vid! Such a soothing voice. :rofl:

So is it too loose to fit in the V70 without Duct tape?

I was hoping for a good, secure fit, without the tape, like my G2LED does.

Might need me an M20 Warrior.

DennisW
05-27-2010, 18:50
Great vid! Such a soothing voice. :rofl:

So is it too loose to fit in the V70 without Duct tape?

I was hoping for a good, secure fit, without the tape, like my G2LED does.

Might need me an M20 Warrior.

No the tape is NOT on the bearing surface. It fits fine all by itself. I have a M20 Warrior as well and it fits just the same with an almost identical body.

I would have thought an old timer would know what duct tape on duty lights is for...:tongueout:

Dennis.

Cochese
05-27-2010, 18:56
No the tape is NOT on the bearing surface. It fits fine all by itself. I have a M20 Warrior as well and it fits just the same with an almost identical body.

I would have thought an old timer would know what duct tape on duty lights is for...:tongueout:

Dennis.

Keeps the light from slipping out of your hand when its bloody?

The saltdog smell is my sweaty vest carrier. I've only got 6 years on.

:supergrin:

lawman800
05-27-2010, 19:20
Cochese ain't no old-timer... heck, I got leather gear with more street time than him! We didn't use duct tape back in the day, we used whatever we can get, including painter's tape and packing tape.

ETA: 6 YEARS!!?!?!?!? I think everything I got has more street time than you except for some shirts and the new G34 and holster that I just bought last year.

Tilley
05-27-2010, 19:42
Issued the Pelican 7060. Good light but the head of the light is too long and jabs me in the kidneys. I keep an LED 2D cell Maglite in my warbag.

j-glock22
05-27-2010, 19:56
I like the output of the Fenix but I prefer lights that go on or off. I think 8 modes is hokey. .

Many Fenix's are simple 2 mode. Like the L1T/L2T and some of the TK series...
OP, what kind of work do you do that requires 12 hrs of light? Yikes thats alot of batteries you'll need.

DennisW
05-28-2010, 01:39
Keeps the light from slipping out of your hand when its bloody?

The saltdog smell is my sweaty vest carrier. I've only got 6 years on.

:supergrin:

6 years??? My newest Glock has more time on :tongueout:

Primary use of duct tape is taping over perimeter fence and door locks in apartment buildings and complexes so that backup can get in quicker just in case...

My Public Defender cousin saw my light and asked in all seriousness: "Is that for taping suspects mouths shut?". Heck, I wish...

Dennis.

RemingtonBPD
05-28-2010, 19:22
LED is the best way to go now with any duty light. It takes a beating, is brighter, burns cooler, last longer, and draws less off the batteries.

Some funny posts on here. I almost forgot what the thread was about. lol

mrdann
05-29-2010, 12:06
Alrighty.... I ordered the Olight M30 for my belt.

I may also add a Pelican 8060.

Thanks guys

nitesite10mm
05-29-2010, 21:03

Thanks guys

The O-Light M30 is a good choice. Just make sure it has the smooth tailcap switch without the striker. Amazingly bright. CR123s are cheap and mine has held up well so far.

Isn't Pelican still made in the USA?

nitesite10mm
05-29-2010, 21:17
And to prove how old-fashioned I am, I also have a 4-cell "C" Maglight that gets quite a lot of use, and a Stinger HP bulb unit with two OEM Ni-Cad batteries always charged that I use with a yellow wand for traffic.

Still love the O-Light M30 for looking into tinted window SUVs, etc.....

KS-Glock
05-29-2010, 21:21
OK, for the unbelievers...

Olight M30 in a Surefire V70. The M30 is configured without the extension using 2x18500 batteries and a smooth tailcap. This makes for the shortest OAL. It is a true 1" body and fits in the V70 just like any other 1" SF light.

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad74/stocknum/M30inV70.jpg

And even a video link for those truly in disbelief...

http://s923.photobucket.com/albums/ad74/stocknum/?action=view&current=MVI_1051.flv

Note: One handed video... :worried:

Dennis.

Does everything you have done to it come with the kit or did you have to modify it from pieces you bought elsewere? I really want that set up and figured I would ask before I ran out and bought. I just saw it on amazon for 110.00

opelwasp
05-30-2010, 00:34
I just ordered a Fenix TK40. Gonna use 3000mah NiMh AA batteries in it. That should last a long time. I'll let ya'll know. I am working in the rural now so the super bright will be good, I think.

rjrivero
05-30-2010, 06:14

Thanks guys
You won't regret it. Great light.

DennisW
05-30-2010, 11:07
Does everything you have done to it come with the kit or did you have to modify it from pieces you bought elsewere? I really want that set up and figured I would ask before I ran out and bought. I just saw it on amazon for 110.00

You have to make sure to order the smooth tailcap version, or you can order it separately for like $13. Otherwise it comes with the extender so you can use either 3x123 or 4x123 primaries, or 2x18500 or 2x18650 rechargeables.

Of course, rechargeable batteries are separate and recommended for more power, runtime, and value.
Longer OAL, longer runtime.
http://www.lighthound.com/AW-18650-Protected-2600-mAh-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery--New-Version_p_3125.html
Shorter OAL, shorter runtime. But still longer than 123 primaries!
http://www.lighthound.com/AW-18500-Protected-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_104.html
Charger.
http://www.lighthound.com/Ultrafire-WF-139-Charger-for-14500-17500-18500-18650-RCR123-37-volt-Lithium-Battery-Charger_p_2279.html

Oh yeah, the duct tape is an extra added accessory as well.

Dennis.

KS-Glock
05-30-2010, 17:10
You have to make sure to order the smooth tailcap version, or you can order it separately for like $13. Otherwise it comes with the extender so you can use either 3x123 or 4x123 primaries, or 2x18500 or 2x18650 rechargeables.

Of course, rechargeable batteries are separate and recommended for more power, runtime, and value.
Longer OAL, longer runtime.
http://www.lighthound.com/AW-18650-Protected-2600-mAh-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery--New-Version_p_3125.html
Shorter OAL, shorter runtime. But still longer than 123 primaries!
http://www.lighthound.com/AW-18500-Protected-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_104.html
Charger.
http://www.lighthound.com/Ultrafire-WF-139-Charger-for-14500-17500-18500-18650-RCR123-37-volt-Lithium-Battery-Charger_p_2279.html

Oh yeah, the duct tape is an extra added accessory as well.

Dennis.

Thank you for your time. I appreciate the help!

snoris
05-30-2010, 17:17
Olights T-25. Two different models (standard and tactical models have slightly different beam intensity choices). Both top out at 190 lumens for 90 minutes. The best thing is that the T-25 runs on two AA batteries instead of the occasionally explosive C123A cells.

Bullman
05-31-2010, 04:29
No one uses the MAG LITES anymore? Mine came in handy more than a few times. :uglylol:

My favorite duty light is a Mag lite 3 D cell. I ditched the incan bulb and got myself a Malkoff devices XP-G LED upgrade for it. like 260 some lumens and about 6 hours of run time on a set of D alkalines. Thinking of investing in a couple of sets of D rechargeables. that light is awesome though, better than my Ultrastinger.

TBO
01-27-2012, 19:15
What's new? Looking for a new small rechargeable duty light. Looking along the lines of a Strion LED.

rdrkt
01-27-2012, 19:27
What's new? Looking for a new small rechargeable duty light. Looking along the lines of a Strion LED.

Fenix TK35 LED Flashlight Review - YouTube
/thread

If you want smaller get the tk21

Sharkey
01-27-2012, 20:23
Anyone use the 511 pc300? Hour run time and charges in 90sec.?

I would think these would be big sellers? Not patrolling now but I'm thinking of getting one because when I'm on call I have to some pretty dark places at night.

I had a Streamlight Superstinger for my patrol days and it worked great when writing a ticket. Stick it under the arm and made a good club if the stop went bad. Of course now the LED's just blow it away. I put a terralux led bulb in the ultrastinger head and that stays by the bed now.

kayl
01-27-2012, 21:56

Undead thread lives! :)

Do you want to have a light that you can drop in a charger or is it ok if you have to take the batteries out and have to charge them that way?

TBO
01-27-2012, 21:58
Drop in charger. I don't want to have to disassemble/reassemble.

TBO
01-27-2012, 23:48
kayl,

I've been surfing a bit and I think I see your point. Fenix makes some nice small flashlights, but they either use 123 or a rechargeable Li-on battery.... that must be removed/installed.

Nice small lights, I might have to reconsider my specs.

Bullman
01-28-2012, 04:29
I am looking for one of the small fenix lights that runs on AA batteries, they are getting up there in performance and AAs can be easier to come by than 123 batts. I am also considering one of the bigger fenix lights that runs on about 8 AA batteries that pumps out big lumens. Later on then I might invest in some good rechargable AA batteries.

kayl
01-28-2012, 09:13
kayl,

I've been surfing a bit and I think I see your point. Fenix makes some nice small flashlights, but they either use 123 or a rechargeable Li-on battery.... that must be removed/installed.

Nice small lights, I might have to reconsider my specs.

TBO-
The other big advantage is that you can throw an extra set of batteries in your duty bag. It's a lot easier to swap out batteries and have a fresh light in 30 seconds than it is to let the light recharge for an hour or two :)

TBO
01-28-2012, 10:48
I am looking for one of the small fenix lights that runs on AA batteries, they are getting up there in performance and AAs can be easier to come by than 123 batts. I am also considering one of the bigger fenix lights that runs on about 8 AA batteries that pumps out big lumens. Later on then I might invest in some good rechargable AA batteries.
Info on rechargeable batteries: http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

DoogieHowser
01-28-2012, 11:32
Info on rechargeable batteries: http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

http://www.eneloop.info/ Those are the best long use rechargeables, expensive but they have been proven over and over to be amazing at high amperage discharges with long life charges. Many rechargeables loose their charge fairly quickly so if your a day shifter it becomes useless fast.

Bullman
01-28-2012, 12:56
It is true that AA alkalines aren't the best in the world for that use, and you should keep an eye out for battery leakage and what have you. But like it was said if you use a light that you can use rechargeables in but still have the option to pop in some Primaries to get it going again that is handy to have. I always carry some of the energizer Li-Ion batts in my car for my camera, and it would work well for the light too. Some of the guys continue to believe that the office should supply them batteries, maybe they should, but if you rely on the crap they give you you will get let down on more than one occasion, just my experience. So I buy myself good batteries.

TBO
01-28-2012, 13:01
:agree:

Ship A'Hoy
01-28-2012, 13:35
I carry a Streamlight PolyTac LED on my belt and a Surefire E1B in my pocket for backup.

One is none two is one.

kayl
01-28-2012, 16:32
Costco has the best price on Eneloops that I've found - $20 for 10 aa's + 2 small cases that carry 4xAA each.

If anyone reading this is local and wants some, but doesn't have a Costco membership, PM me :)

mrdann
01-28-2012, 17:59
I contnue to be very happy with, and well served by, my Olight M30 and Fenix LD20. Both appear to be indestructable, light weight, and water proof. The rechargeable batteries for the Olight have lasted over a year and a half. They are easy to swap out and recharge, and they last like 12 shifts or more. The Fenix takes 2 AA batteries, and I just replaced them after a year and a half of back up duty.

Rinspeed
01-29-2012, 20:44
I am looking for one of the small fenix lights that runs on AA batteries, they are getting up there in performance and AAs can be easier to come by than 123 batts.

I've been very happy with my Zebralight running Eneloops.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384773