Remington 870 & 870 Express Magnum?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 & 870 Express Magnum??

thinktwice
05-25-2010, 18:46
I just purchased a Remington 870 with the extended magazine tube (7rounds) black synthetic stock & pump. It is a used gun however the guy I purchased it from just bought it new several months ago. My question is whats the difference between the 870 & the 870 Express Magnum? I have an older 870 Express Magnum that I purchased several years ago, and on the receiver it says "870 Express Magnum" and on the barrel it says 2 3/4 & 3 inch magnum shells. On the newer one I just bought on the receiver it just says Remington 870 and on the barrel it says 2 3/4 & 3 inch shells. The problem is I went to the Remington web site and don't see any that are just "870" most are 870 Express. Both of these shotguns are 18 inch barrel I guess you would call them the "tactical" models. Anyone know what I have here? Thanks in advance for your help.

aippi
05-26-2010, 10:03
Same weapon, no difference. The word Magnum is just for Marketing and there has never been a non-magnum Express built, never. It does not have to have the word magnum on it.

When the Express model came out the word Magnum was being used to designate the Law Enfocement Models. When they started using the word Police for those then this freed up the word Magnum and it was started to be used on the Express.

Every 870 that has a serial number ending in the letter "M" is a magnum receiver and all the new ones in the RS serial number range are magnum receivers.

So you have the two of the same weapons with different Marketing words on them that have nothing to do with the weapon.

vr4 case
05-27-2010, 10:59
Hopefully you dont mind me slightly stealing your thread, since I believe your question was answered.

I just picked up an 870 magnum, and after a couple friends with 870s (including one that was a "magnum") whose barrels all said "for 2 3/4 or 3 in shells" I didnt think to look at mine and went shooting with some 2 3/4 shells. I felt like my accuracy was a little off. When I got home I saw it said "3inch Magum". Should I only be using 3in in mine, why the difference between my friends' and mine?

Big_Grumpy
05-27-2010, 20:53
"Magnum" on a Remington means it can feed 3" shells also. 2-3/4" is the "typical" 12 ga. shell size.

You don't need to feed it strictly one or the other. It'll take both.

As far as accuracy... 3" generally punishes your shoulder more for little benefit. If shooting 3" 00, the recoil isn't really worth the extra 3 pellets. If you don't get the job done with 9 pellets in 2-3/4", it's doubtful that the extra shot in a 3" shell would help either, and you would need a follow up shot anyway. Different ammo brands can affect accuracy also. Try out a few and see what your gun "likes".

thinktwice
05-28-2010, 15:38
Thanks guy's that cleared t up for me.

TangoFoxtrot
05-29-2010, 01:52
I just purchased a Remington 870 with the extended magazine tube (7rounds) black synthetic stock & pump. It is a used gun however the guy I purchased it from just bought it new several months ago. My question is whats the difference between the 870 & the 870 Express Magnum? I have an older 870 Express Magnum that I purchased several years ago, and on the receiver it says "870 Express Magnum" and on the barrel it says 2 3/4 & 3 inch magnum shells. On the newer one I just bought on the receiver it just says Remington 870 and on the barrel it says 2 3/4 & 3 inch shells. The problem is I went to the Remington web site and don't see any that are just "870" most are 870 Express. Both of these shotguns are 18 inch barrel I guess you would call them the "tactical" models. Anyone know what I have here? Thanks in advance for your help.

You won't be sorry buying an 870!

MTPD
05-29-2010, 04:58
I agree with Grumpy. 3" magnum buckshot kicks too much and tends to cause flinching, with no real-world stopping power benefit. Stick to 2 3/4" buckshot shells.

I've shot 870's for decades with zero malfunctions.

ArmaGlock
06-06-2010, 19:16
Looks like the newer 870 magnums take 3.5" shells. Maybe that's the difference now. At least that's the difference I noticed on a guys newly issued Police Magnum at work.

aippi
06-06-2010, 19:25
The only 870 that takes 3.5" shells is the Super Magnum and these are not built on the Police receivers. I would find it very strange if a Department was issueing these as the shortest barrel for them is 28" and they are sporting models. Check his 870 Police again and you will find it is a 3" chambered weapon.

ArmaGlock
06-06-2010, 19:40
I was probably seeing things, or that's what my mind wanted me to see when I saw the magnum. Guess I was looking for there to be some major difference. So the "Magnum" designation really is just for show. I don't see why Remington does that...oh well.

aippi
06-06-2010, 20:32
Armaglock - It is very easy to get confused by all this mess. All Newer 12ga 870's are magnum receivers, except some very high dollar WingmasterTrap models that they may or may not still make. The newer 870's simply have "Remington 870" on them. They still use the "Word" magnum on some models since it is proved that if you want to sell something put, magnum, tactical or police on it. It is marketing, just like so much of what we buy today.

Every Express model ever made has been built on a magnum receiver from day one. Yet, so many guys still think that if it does not have magnum engraved on the receiver it is not. I had a rebuilt 870 Express on Gun Broker a few years back and in the description had 3" magnum on it. Gun broker e-mails that somone filed a complaint that I was falsely advertizing a weapon and endangering gun broker buyers. I had to explain to gun broker that is was infact a magum receiver as every Express was and every 12ga 870 that had a serial number ending in the letter "M" as this one did and they should call Remington and verify what I just told them. The guy that made the complaint did not know what he was talking about and could have simply used the "Ask seller a Question feature" but must have been a punk as he did not and filed the complaint. I would simply told him the facts and sugested he call Remington at 1-800-243-9700 and verify it. Of course nothing came of it because I was correct.

The new serial numbering system no longer even designates a magnum receiver since all newer 870's are built on magnum receivers. So they simply end in the letter "A" for now and will go to "B" when the five digit numbers are used up.

streakpi
07-03-2011, 13:00
I got the same exact gun yesterday at a gun shop - without box. Went online to Remington.com and they have a generic 870 shotgun user manual. Funny thing is that my 870 Express Magnum does not appear on their website...in 18" black barrel/body form. Any idea why?

I contacted Remington for help registering the shotgun since I do not have the box!

aippi
07-03-2011, 13:13
Streakpi - if your 870 hase the words "870 Express Magnum" then it is several years old and would not be on their web site. It is still the same Remington HD they sell today only the engraving on the receiver is different. It is past it's two year warranty so I don't understand why you "Resister it with Remington".

There is only one 870 Owners manual. Which comes with every model. Why? Because as I have been saying on these web sites for years, there is only one 870 and they differ only by finish, furniture and one or two very small inexpensive parts. There is however now an Express model that is a Super Magnum that is a 3.5" receiver so there are some different parts for that weapon but most 870 parts will fit it.

streakpi
07-03-2011, 13:20
Hmmmm, nice to know I just bought a "brand new" old shotgun. It doesn't have a scratch, a ding, or even looks like it has been shot...but I did buy it "used" from my gun store. Guy said it was returned by a regular who bought it, didn't use it, and returned it to buy something else.

Heck, mechanics of a pump shotgun haven't changed in lotsa lotsa years...no worries! Here is a pic of what I got:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l140/streakpi/SAM_2179.jpg

aippi
07-03-2011, 16:52
Could be from 3-6 years old at that as it has an 18" barrel which I can tell because the tube extension extends past the barrel. The 18.5" barrel ends flush with the tube and has been coming on that model for some years now. Also those are the older stocks showing me at a glance it is an older weapon. That model now sells from between $320 to $350 new so you should have got a deal on it. However it also comes with a QD stud on the mag tube bracket. Some of the larger box stores have a model like you have made for them and pay a little less for them without the QD. You can contact Remington with the serial number and find out when it was manufactured.

125K9
07-06-2011, 11:06
This may be just a touch off thread, but it still relates. Since my two tours in Vietnam I've always been more of a pistol/knife/rifle person than a shotgun shooter. That changed somewhat when I fell into the great deal I got recently on the 870. Since I knew very little about the workings of a shotgun, still don't know much, I started scouring different forums in search of quality information. THANKS to Mr. McGuire I feel I really don't have to look any further than this forum from now on. There was another forum, that I look at occasionally for its "semiauto pistols" section, that was reputed to have one of the better shotgun sections. All I found there were two posters constantly arguing back and forth. One of which carries his shotgun around in his dump truck all day, and that's his extent of "knowledge." Ahh, I don't think so. I was beginning to get discouraged, that is until I checked here.
Thanks again Mr. McGuire for your knowledge and honesty.

Triple7
07-06-2011, 11:12
I just got a 870 Wingmaster.....love it.

Buffering
07-06-2011, 11:21

:highfive::dancingbanana::dancingbanana:
:woohoo:

kat1950
11-25-2012, 19:45

An Express is nowhere near what a Wingmaster is, very good buy.