They're Everywhere! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : They're Everywhere!

David Armstrong
05-25-2010, 22:03
Just caught a blurb in one of the gunrags about Remington going past the 10,000,000 mark in 870 production a while back. No wonder they are all over the place!:wow:

mixflip
05-25-2010, 23:23
I still want an 870 even though I already own two 12 gauge shotguns. 10 million is alot of bangsticks!

RedHaze
05-26-2010, 01:22
April 13, 2009
http://cdn1.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/pop_wm_1618135-tfb.jpg
http://cdn1.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/pop_wm_1618136-tfb.jpg

F_G
05-26-2010, 06:41
I've done my part, 2 older Wingmasters and an 870P. :cool:

vafish
05-26-2010, 07:22
Dang, I only have 1 870. One of the first Express models they came out with in the mid 1980's.

I wonder how many 500's Mossberg has made?

ScrappyDoo
05-26-2010, 08:31
I saw a nice " police tactical " or something like that a few weeks back , don't need it at all but looked sharp and blacktikal just how I like em

pilsbury
05-26-2010, 08:32
I have two, and believe them to be one of if not THE most dependable shotguns produced.

aippi
05-26-2010, 09:52
Was hoping to see the 10,000,000th when I was at the factory as they have the Museum there, however, it was at the Corporate Head Quarters in NC and was the shown at the Annual NRA show. then home to Ilion for Display. So I have to waite three years to see it when I return for Re-cert.

And yes, the 870 is the one the best ever. I am not starting a this -v-that thread so all you clowns stay out of this. This is to honor 10,000,000 which is a mile stone and if you jump in then with your opinions about another brand then your a jerk, go start your own thread and let us honor this weapon.

If you are a gun smith or just a guy who knows his way around firearms, you have been in awe of this design. The simplicity of each component and how they interact with with each other is just amazing. The guys who designed this weapon thought out the functions so well that there have only been minor changes in 60 years.

I guess we will never know how many of those 10 Million are still in use but I believe the number would be high. It would take years of neglect or a deliberate act to render and 870 unuseable. I have received over 40 year old Wingmaster in for rebuild into tactical shotguns and sent them to their owners look and performing like new weapons. The guys were just amazed and think I am some kind of master, well, truth is I just parkerize the weapon and change a couple springs and it is ready for 40+ more years. It's not me, it's the quality and design of the weapon.

I have fears that things will change for the worse. New owners are involved, bottom lines and other factors come into play and there is a chance that these new clowns will start changing the weapon because some pin head says so. I hope not. Leave it alone.

RMTactical
05-26-2010, 19:17
This is truly a testament to the quality and genious behind this design. Great shotgun.

Aceman
05-26-2010, 19:42
Bravo! Mossberg fan myself - but kudos to the 870. Can't argue with it. Not a dang thing wrong there at all.

GlockPride
05-26-2010, 21:12
I got an Express with 28" barrel, express with 20" barrel w/ +2 ext andthe Super Magnum with synthetic and 26" barrel.
So, I guess I have a trifecta?

TangoFoxtrot
05-29-2010, 01:54
Just caught a blurb in one of the gunrags about Remington going past the 10,000,000 mark in 870 production a while back. No wonder they are all over the place!:wow:

I have read the same thing, I guess they are the Glocks of the SG world.

DocH
06-01-2010, 07:35
Was hoping to see the 10,000,000th when I was at the factory as they have the Museum there, however, it was at the Corporate Head Quarters in NC and was the shown at the Annual NRA show. then home to Ilion for Display. So I have to waite three years to see it when I return for Re-cert.

And yes, the 870 is the one the best ever. I am not starting a this -v-that thread so all you clowns stay out of this. This is to honor 10,000,000 which is a mile stone and if you jump in then with your opinions about another brand then your a jerk, go start your own thread and let us honor this weapon.

If you are a gun smith or just a guy who knows his way around firearms, you have been in awe of this design. The simplicity of each component and how they interact with with each other is just amazing. The guys who designed this weapon thought out the functions so well that there have only been minor changes in 60 years.

I guess we will never know how many of those 10 Million are still in use but I believe the number would be high. It would take years of neglect or a deliberate act to render and 870 unuseable. I have received over 40 year old Wingmaster in for rebuild into tactical shotguns and sent them to their owners look and performing like new weapons. The guys were just amazed and think I am some kind of master, well, truth is I just parkerize the weapon and change a couple springs and it is ready for 40+ more years. It's not me, it's the quality and design of the weapon.

I have fears that things will change for the worse. New owners are involved, bottom lines and other factors come into play and there is a chance that these new clowns will start changing the weapon because some pin head says so. I hope not. Leave it alone.

Pop bought a 16 ga.870 in '53 or '54? Can't remember the exact year.
He was purely a duck and quail hunter. He had a couple of Brownings too,
The 870 had a 26" Imp/Cyl barrel and a 28" full choke.
He started me out with it on quail when I was 11,after walking me on hunts for two seasons,showing me the ropes. That little 16 ga. Wingmaster is still as slick and smooth as it ever was. One of the all time great shotguns ever produced.

aippi
06-01-2010, 13:41
DOCH - keep that 870 16ga in the family. I don't know why the 16 did not become more popular then the 12 and 20 as it is an excellent load for all types of hunting. Your kids will be shooting that shotgun for years to come.

BigKid
06-01-2010, 15:19
DOCH - keep that 870 16ga in the family. I don't know why the 16 did not become more popular then the 12 and 20 as it is an excellent load for all types of hunting. Your kids will be shooting that shotgun for years to come.

My brother in law also has an 870 in the 16ga. He loves it. Say's its the best shotgun he's ever shot. He just rarely shoots it cause ammo is so hard to find and when he does find it, its upwards of $20 per box.

DocH
06-02-2010, 07:02
DOCH - keep that 870 16ga in the family. I don't know why the 16 did not become more popular then the 12 and 20 as it is an excellent load for all types of hunting. Your kids will be shooting that shotgun for years to come. Agreed. The 16,IMO,was a liitle better at the time on quail than the 20. Pop nailed some good ducks with it over the years too,with the large shot. I reached the point that I could get three birds on a covey rise with it on a pretty regular basis. It's been well cared for and looks almost mint today. Family heirloom,of course,so it's staying put.:cool: