Of light triggers and 10mm SD ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Of light triggers and 10mm SD ammo

Deep Nylon
05-26-2010, 11:08
Mas, I really, really appreciated your comments made in the ProArms Podcast "Light Triggers" (http://proarmspodcast.com/2009/04/12/022-light-triggers/). Certainly changed my thinking regarding possible trigger mods to my carry guns, and it will even change future carry guns I could select in the future.

On to my question. I also listened to the podcast on the 10mm recorded last year, and the favorable comments on the 175-gr Winchester STHP as SD ammo at the time. Coincidentally, I have been shooting this round, as it gets along well with both the G29 and G20 I have, and the round is readily available. Are there any other, perhaps with newer bullet designs, rounds that you think of highly as an effective carry round in 10mm?

I'd really rather stay with a mainstream (non-boutique) round, but wouldn't mind taking advantage of any more effective bullet designs that have come along. The Silvertip seems kind of hard to beat, though.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Mas Ayoob
05-26-2010, 21:49
Agreed that the Silvertip is hard to beat.

I've always liked a 165 grain JHP in the 1300 fps range; great potential, but never ran across a shooting with it. The trouble with loads from the small makers is that they don't get used in as many shootings as the ammunition of the mainstream makers, so there's less of a data base.

CorBon and others offer a ferocious 135 grain 10mm JHP load at 1450 fps, and while some fear it won't have enough penetration, it has killed some pretty big critters pretty decisively in the hands of Ted Nugent.

Best,
Mas