Wrist slapped by corporate IT for syncing iPad? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wrist slapped by corporate IT for syncing iPad?

airmotive
05-26-2010, 17:54
Okay, so we got a very nasty email from my company's IT guy. And the guy is a big enough prick that he will make up and/or blame others for his mistakes. The problem is, I'm not savvy enough on MS Exchange to call him out if he's BS'ing. I'm the only one with an iPad, however there are several people who are connected to the corporate Exchange server via iPhone.
Is there enough info in his email (below) to confirm or deny a BS alert?

The Exchange server has crashed twice in the past week and during the investigation we discovered that the failure was caused due to excessive log files being created because you are synching your I-Pad with your company e-mail.
You must stop this IMMEDIATELY. The I-Pad is an unsupported device and it was connected to the network (via Exchange) without the advice or consent of IT.

Any and all info and advice is greatly appreciated.

Furant
05-26-2010, 18:26
I wish I could tell you. The only thing I can tell you is: don't get into a pissing match with your company's IT guy.

Joey

GenX
05-26-2010, 18:27
Ask him to prove it. Then tell him to kiss your ass.

Linux3
05-26-2010, 20:02
Ask him to prove it. Then tell him to kiss your ass.
And you will be fired and walked out the door!
What is your IT policy on the iPAD? Do you have one?

I have to tell you as a network admin I get pretty pissed off and sick of all the junk people try to connect to my network.

Did you ASK the IT guy first about connecting an iPAD?

IndyGunFreak
05-26-2010, 20:34

I have to tell you as a network admin I get pretty pissed off and sick of all the junk people try to connect to my network.

If they let them connect iPhones however, you'd think it wouldn't be much different than connecting an iPad...

Or maybe not, who knows..

IGF

GenX
05-26-2010, 21:45
This thread reminds of http://www.thewebsiteisdown.com/

johnson johnson :rofl:

marineni
05-26-2010, 22:30
It's basicly his network, if he doesnt authorize your device you can't connect it. If you force his hand and he makes policy at your company for devices on the network he will block you from connecting.
A quick google search did come up with others reporting "issues" syncing with exchange and making the ipad unstable and crashing the mail app, which may support the large log file claim.

airmotive
05-27-2010, 03:48
I was under the impression that the iPad connected the same way as the iPhone (which is approved). The setup was identicle.

Drjones
05-27-2010, 05:02
Fist, iPad runs OS 3.2 which is not available yet for the iPhone, so no, it is not identical to the iPhone.

Next, listen to your IT guy, chances are his life is hard enough with the amazingly stupid things people do with their technology. Why not just engage him in a polite conversation about this issue and ask if there's any way for you to sync your iPad To the company network without crashing it.

noway
05-27-2010, 08:39
sounds like a bad MS/exchange platform or admin

Get for real, you have notebooks, blackberry, computers, iphones but yet a iPAD thing causes a server to crash.:whistling:

thorn137
05-27-2010, 09:27
This article might be applicable / similar to the situation your IT guy is facing:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1601727/us-universities-banning-ipad

thorn

Drjones
05-27-2010, 14:03

Get for real, you have notebooks, blackberry, computers, iphones but yet a iPAD thing causes a server to crash.:whistling:

Twice in the past week I saw a simple, consumer-grade wireless router crash two separate Windows Server 2003 networks. What happens is the server is used to handling DHCP, so when you connect a router to the network and it does the same thing by default, the server freaks out and the whole network goes down.

A simple server reboot fixes the issue (along with disabling DHCP in the router) but you wouldn't think something like that could crash a network, yet I saw it with my own eyes, twice, on two different networks.

SO, it's not too far-fetched to believe that the iPad could somehow cause issues too, since as I noted above, it runs a different OS than any current iphone.

Linux3
05-27-2010, 18:17

Get for real, you have notebooks, blackberry, computers, iphones but yet a iPAD thing causes a server to crash.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1601727/us-universities-banning-ipad thorn

I have to think Princeton, Cornell and G. Washington U. know how to configure a network.

HKUSP45Css
05-27-2010, 19:44

Yes, obviously it's the environment (the one that was stable until the iPad showed up) or the admin (the one who kept things working until the iPad showed up) and not the user or his unauthorized equipment.

People shouldn't assume that all devices are identical and all platforms will support all devices just like plugging a thumb drive into a Windows box.

Sadly, the real IT world is a bit more murky.

Final word, the network belongs to the guy whose job it is to keep EVERYBODY working productively, not the user who thinks it's cool to connect any consumer grade appliance he or she has just run right out and bought.

In my Field Office you can be written up for connecting a thumb drive. The feds don't play.

I spent an hour yesterday finding out who plugged their POS HP into my secure network. I was (understandably) non-plussed that a person who worked there for 7 years and knew darn well better thought nobody would catch him. I really had better things to do than chase him down because he "had" to watch a funny youtube video and our content filter was preventing it. Turns out the content filter still wouldn't let him watch it.

I understand his supervisor intends to write him up and seal a letter in his file over it.

To the OP:

If IT guys strike you as pricks (admittedly, yours may very be one) it's probably because you have very little knowledge of what it is we do and what we have to endure on a daily basis.

Linux3
05-28-2010, 05:05
To the OP:

If IT guys strike you as pricks (admittedly, yours may very be one) it's probably because you have very little knowledge of what it is we do and what we have to endure on a daily basis.

I totally agree. When your network is humming along all the users think you have a very easy job, if they think of you at all.
1 little outage and your skills are suspect.

I had a user set up 2 systems, no need to bother me he knows what he is doing, and he gave a MAC and a Linux system the same IP address. "Isn't that the P we use"?

How about someone who plugs their home whatever into my class D network and they have a netmask of 0xff000000.

And the list goes on and on. Too many dweebs, not enough pink slips.

airmotive
05-28-2010, 08:35

Corporate policy is pretty 'fuzzy'...and is geared more towards forbidding activites which hog bandwidth or use company resources for commercial/criminal/time wasting enterprises.

IPads were not expressly given permission to connect. Neither were iPhones. Of course, he's the one who sent out instructions for connecting iPhones to the email server. And when asked about iPads, he said they connected the same way.

Only after everything came crashing down did he send the email in the OP to me - with a CC to the company president, VP and district manager. I guess that's what really is the sticking point. A phone call would have solved the problem faster and more appropriately. Sending the email was clearly a finger-pointering exercise with the sole intention of tossing someone under the bus.

Fortunately, he sent instruction for connecting iPhones in an email...so there's documentation for that. However, he gave instructions for the iPad over the phone.

fgutie35
05-28-2010, 08:48
As a network Admin. It is frustrating when you are walking on eggshells to keep your network secure specially when it gets bombarded everyday. Anything that can create a "back door" to get into the intranet, is look upon with evil eyes by most IT managers. So if your ipad created just that (which more than likely it did) explains his discontent. Exchange Server is not a domesticated animal per say. Many IT guys think that just because they got it up and running, theyr job is done, NOT SO. It takes real skills to configure Excahnge Server to avoid problem like your IT guy had (oviously his is not configured correctly). Give the guy a break and abide by his request. Then asked him nicely if in the future would they make modifications to accept ipads.

HKUSP45Css
05-28-2010, 10:50
Only after everything came crashing down did he send the email in the OP to me - with a CC to the company president, VP and district manager. I guess that's what really is the sticking point. A phone call would have solved the problem faster and more appropriately. Sending the email was clearly a finger-pointering exercise with the sole intention of tossing someone under the bus.

Fortunately, he sent instruction for connecting iPhones in an email...so there's documentation for that. However, he gave instructions for the iPad over the phone.

Not that it matters to you but, he likely copied those mucky-mucks because they were ythe ones looking for a head on a platter and he was tasked with providing it.

I don't "tattle" on anybody if the "deed" can be handled in house. If, however my boss asks me for specific info on the "who/what" I'm not about to lie or cover up to him to save a user's hide. Particularly when they should have known better.

I also find it a little interesting that you didn't mention his involvement with allowing you to connect the iPad until several people agreed with the IT guy.

I was under the impression that the iPad connected the same way as the iPhone (which is approved). The setup was identicle.

Probably would have been worded "I was told by the IT guy the setup was identical." if there were more truth to the new story.

airmotive
05-28-2010, 11:53
Let's put it this way....
From his email:
"The I-Pad is an unsupported device and it was connected to the network (via Exchange) without the advice or consent of IT." ...That's simply a lie....but I didn't want to start the thread out on such a negative note.

Any differences in wording from one post to the next is simply an effort to make a long story short. Sorry if that confused you. I WAS under the impression the setup was identical. Both before and after the IT guy's advice. And the setup WAS identical.

noway
05-28-2010, 14:04
I have to think Princeton, Cornell and G. Washington U. know how to configure a network.

Oh really, are you saying that becuase they are big universities that they are immune and never have problems. Well read just some of the big errors they have made over the years

http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/attacks/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210101877

http://cornellsun.com/node/37474

http://www.kuow.org/program.php?id=17258

edit 2 add:

Still sounds like too me, a badly administrated eXch server or some other unrelated problem and now the iPAD is to be blamed.

I wonder how they are going enforce a iPAD NOT sync'ing to the eXch server or how would the discretely can tell the difference between it vrs a iPhone or anything else as far as that goes. Like to see what they are going todo when 4.0 is release and it suppose to be the same codee iPad or Phone.

HKUSP45Css
05-28-2010, 16:08
Let's put it this way....
From his email:
"The I-Pad is an unsupported device and it was connected to the network (via Exchange) without the advice or consent of IT." ...That's simply a lie....but I didn't want to start the thread out on such a negative note.

Any differences in wording from one post to the next is simply an effort to make a long story short. Sorry if that confused you. I WAS under the impression the setup was identical. Both before and after the IT guy's advice. And the setup WAS identical.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. First you try to pawn his attitude off as just "being a prick" then you come back later and say he told you how to do it and then blamed you for the SNAFU.

Sorry chief, I'm pretty sure your initial post wasn't an attempt at brevity, it was the truth. You dragging him in later is the act of someone who knows he screwed it up and now wants to deflect.

Being "under the impression" is one thing, being "under the advice" of the IT guy accusing you of wrong doing is "original post" worthy.

HKUSP45Css
05-28-2010, 16:10
Oh really, are you saying that becuase they are big universities that they are immune and never have problems. Well read just some of the big errors they have made over the years

http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/attacks/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210101877

http://cornellsun.com/node/37474

http://www.kuow.org/program.php?id=17258

edit 2 add:

Still sounds like too me, a badly administrated eXch server or some other unrelated problem and now the iPAD is to be blamed.

I wonder how they are going enforce a iPAD NOT sync'ing to the eXch server or how would the discretely can tell the difference between it vrs a iPhone or anything else as far as that goes. Like to see what they are going todo when 4.0 is release and it suppose to be the same codee iPad or Phone.

They are wholly separate devices with different OSs and different logs.

I can tell the difference between any device connected to my servers, not just my Exchange server.

Your question is a bit like asking if different tires leave different tread marks.

airmotive
05-28-2010, 18:20
Okay lets start fresh.
Mrs. Airmotive here.
Airmotive (my husband) was posting for me because I did not have an account. He could only write what he heard from me (he wrote the post in the first person to avoid confusion…and to protect his bride’s virtue ;-) ). A little background about the OP: when I started with my company there were only 24 people and no IT policies. As the company grew, so did the IT department, and subsequently the policies. My first “smart” phone was from Verizon and IT connected it to the exchange server. When I bought an iPhone I was told to use the settings entered on my other phone. When I bought my iPad, I did speak with IT. Now part of this is my fault for assuming, but I was never told not do connect with my iPad. I spoke with the director of IT days before I received my iPad. I’ve known this man for five years and we discussed how excited I was. I asked him if I would connect to the Microsoft Exchange Server the same way I did with my iPhone and his reply was, “yes.” You think after living for more than 30 years I would stop assuming things, but…..I assumed he had no problem with me connecting my iPad.

The whole reason for this post was to find out how something like this could happen. I am trying to learn. When I received the email, I INSTENTLY turned the iPad mail off. I am not trying to defend my actions, I was a LAN administrator long ago and I know how frustrating it can be to keep a network running smoothly. I have been out of the field for 21 years; I KNOW things have changed. I also know a network is an exercise in tap-dancing on eggshells. That is why I wanted my husband to ask around and see what he could find out. Any confusion on how my husband’s posts were written are entirely my fault. I hate writing, so I pawned it off on him, as I am not on any forums.

I apologize for any confusion. I know that devices are different, I was just trying to find out how one iPad could crash a system. I truly thought the iPhone and iPad connected to the exchange server the same way.

On another note, I read the articles about the universities banning iPads, and I was ready to believe that the iPad was a system crasher. As I researched further I found this link.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20003513-37.html

I would like to state that I am not trying to stir up trouble; I just like to know the truth. I like to learn and want to understand. I would have spoken to the company IT guy, but he was, understandably, pissed. Didn’t think it was a good time to question him.

PS: Look for future posts by ‘Maleficum’…as soon as eric blesses my new account.

Edited to add: (real) Airmotive here...I hate macs)

GenX
05-28-2010, 20:07
Okay lets start fresh.
Mrs. Airmotive here.
Airmotive (my husband) was posting for me because I did not have an account. He could only write what he heard from me (he wrote the post in the first person to avoid confusion…and to protect his bride’s virtue ;-) ). :rofl::rofl::rofl:

betyourlife
05-28-2010, 20:59
I have a hard time believing that there are THAT many people connecting ipads, enough to bog the server down.

That said you shouldn't be connecting any devices that are not issued to you. There are domains with specific policies from software that must be installed on your machine (av) to security policies, and connecting a device such as your ipad to a mail server without these policies being applied to your ipad could expose your mail server to being used to send spam.

HKUSP45Css
05-29-2010, 06:01
Okay lets start fresh.
Mrs. Airmotive here.
Airmotive (my husband) was posting for me because I did not have an account. He could only write what he heard from me (he wrote the post in the first person to avoid confusion…and to protect his bride’s virtue ;-) ).

I'm sorry I called your husband a liar.

Airmotive, I apologize.

Stop connecting things to other people's networks without thier express permission, blessing and a written policy.

Go talk to your IT guy, he may want to tell you the story of the fun you caused, he may want to apologize for throwing you under the bus (he may not have had a choice).

We aren't (as a general rule) pricks. We're over worked fixing things we either can't control or that people shouldn't be doing in the first place. It can be a frustrating gig at times.

Most of us are better with machines than people, that doesn't mean we're bad people, many of us are just bad with people. Go chat your geek up, we can do some cool things for people we like.

Bill Lumberg
05-29-2010, 06:08
I charge my (personal) iphone on my issued laptop, sometimes while on the network, sometimes while in my truck. But I would never try to comm or synch it, not that it would work as tight as our network is.

Linux3
05-29-2010, 15:56
We aren't (as a general rule) pricks. We're over worked fixing things we either can't control or that people shouldn't be doing in the first place. It can be a frustrating gig at times.
Most of us are better with machines than people, that doesn't mean we're bad people, many of us are just bad with people. Go chat your geek up, we can do some cool things for people we like.
All good IT people and code warriors have aspergers.
I understand totally.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

kc8ykd
05-29-2010, 17:42
All good IT people and code warriors have aspergers.
I understand totally.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

it sounds like that cnet article is eluding to a problem where the ipad doesn't adhere to the dhcp standards and doesn't properly expire addresses when their leases expire. This wouldn't necessarily cause log issues on an exchange server (unless it was also doing dhcp), but it could cause other machines to throw a fit when they detect their ip is in use (especially windows machines).

i also cut the tags out of all my t-shirts.

also, Maleficum, it probably wasn't that guy's intention to throw you under the bus to the big bosses considering your length of relationship with him.

I would suspect (which happened from time to time at my old job) that something happened and the big bosses wanted a name. i'm sure it put him in an uncomfortable position as well. we tried to handle as much as possible internally before we moved it to management, but there were instances where it couldn't be avoided (like someone blowing up a blackberry server which serviced all the execs).

if you get a chance to talk with him, i'd really be interested to know what exactly he was seeing on his end as the problem. a lot of the articles i've read have been pretty heavy on sensationalism and light on technical details.

cgwahl
05-30-2010, 18:52
In my Field Office you can be written up for connecting a thumb drive. The feds don't play. .

I'm not that knowledgeable in this stuff, but I'm surprised you don't have it where USB drives are disabled.

fgutie35
06-01-2010, 21:17
I (http://I) would like to state that I am not trying to stir up trouble; I just like to know the truth. I like to learn and want to understand. I would have spoken to the company IT guy, but he was, understandably, pissed. Didn’t think it was a good time to question him.

PS: Look for future posts by ‘Maleficum’…as soon as eric blesses my new account.

Edited to add: (real) Airmotive here...I hate macs)

The truth could lie on the difference between "intranet" and "internet". You have to be knowledgeable in 802.11 infrastructure to learn the different ways wireless devices connect to a server or network. For example. on your iphone, when you configure the Exchange server, you are still going thru your ISP and then tapping on your workplace Exchange Server from "outside" the firewall. On the ipad, since you have 802.11 capabilities, then the ipad can configure itself to tap your exchange server from inside the firewall (intranet), therefore the way the IP is handled between the ipad and your servers (DHCP and Excahnge) is different, which might be the reason why the corruption on the DNS server. Again, like I said before, that is a problem that can be corrected, by you IT guy, but at the time he did not see it coming. Back then, when we implemented Apple's AIRPORT access points to our network (same 802.11 infrastructure used on the ipads), we got this problem resolved.

HKUSP45Css
06-02-2010, 10:57
I'm not that knowledgeable in this stuff, but I'm surprised you don't have it where USB drives are disabled.

USBstor.sys (the file that handles usb storage) has a nasty habit of "waking up" when you plug in thumb drives (or cd-burners or other things. It can still be accomplished via a GPO or even by just setting security permissions on the file itself.

For whatever reason (and I'm not even goig to pretend it's a good one) the Fed Gov ISDD for this, particular agency decided to enforce the protocol through administrative policy instead of a technological one.

If it were my network and security plan it would be a dramatically different environment. If my input carried more weight than distand crickets chirping it might look like a different environment.

I think it boils down to the old adage of "you can't reason an admin out of a policy he didn't reason himself into."

Bado
06-02-2010, 23:42
To me it sounds like (with the limited info given) the drive space is filling up quickly with the transaction logs and crashing the server. Only two options if it is, install more drive space and move the location of the logs, or do full backup every night to commit the transactions and flush the log files.

HKUSP45Css
06-03-2010, 11:21
To me it sounds like (with the limited info given) the drive space is filling up quickly with the transaction logs and crashing the server. Only two options if it is, install more drive space and move the location of the logs, or do full backup every night to commit the transactions and flush the log files.

Or, tell the employees to stop connecting consumer devices to his enterprise network. Any of those should work.

rhikdavis
06-04-2010, 11:53
Or, tell the employees to stop connecting consumer devices to his enterprise network. Any of those should work.

Have you considered a career in litigation law...:supergrin:

KevinFACE
06-10-2010, 10:51
Any good IT guy worth his salt can stop devices like that from connecting to his network, if he's telling you to stop it's because he doesn't have the know how on how to stop it.

"Consumer crap" on an "enterprise network"... i LoL'd hard at that statement, because any "enterprise network" could handle 100 iPad's without flynching. It's called clustering and HA. Read up on it, please.

thorn137
06-10-2010, 11:05
Any good IT guy worth his salt can stop devices like that from connecting to his network, if he's telling you to stop it's because he doesn't have the know how on how to stop it.

Or perhaps the man hours in saying "don't do this" are less than blocking it via software, and the IT guy had other things to do and chose the former plan of action.

I've had this problem in my own department - not related to network connections, but to unauthorized activity on workstations. COULD i lock down all the physical USB ports, use the HOST file to block websites, and other techniques? Absolutely. But quite frankly, I don't have the time nor inclination to always be a freaking babysitter. Sometimes it's just easier and faster to send a memo saying "Do this again, and you'll be explaining yourself to HR".
thorn

MavsX
06-10-2010, 17:14
Yes, obviously it's the environment (the one that was stable until the iPad showed up) or the admin (the one who kept things working until the iPad showed up) and not the user or his unauthorized equipment.

People shouldn't assume that all devices are identical and all platforms will support all devices just like plugging a thumb drive into a Windows box.

Sadly, the real IT world is a bit more murky.

Final word, the network belongs to the guy whose job it is to keep EVERYBODY working productively, not the user who thinks it's cool to connect any consumer grade appliance he or she has just run right out and bought.

In my Field Office you can be written up for connecting a thumb drive. The feds don't play.

I spent an hour yesterday finding out who plugged their POS HP into my secure network. I was (understandably) non-plussed that a person who worked there for 7 years and knew darn well better thought nobody would catch him. I really had better things to do than chase him down because he "had" to watch a funny youtube video and our content filter was preventing it. Turns out the content filter still wouldn't let him watch it.

I understand his supervisor intends to write him up and seal a letter in his file over it.

To the OP:

you have a secure network..but don't have port security? what the hell

MavsX
06-10-2010, 17:18
also, i'd be pretty pissed too if my exchange server was crashing cause some guy just had to connect his new iPad to it. Remember, everybody relies on email. It's very important for business. It's one of the core business mediums. It's hard enough to keep everything working correctly. The last thing we need is someone throwing a wrench in the whole operation. I'd suggest, A: listening to the guy, maybe try and come up with some sort of a compromise, or try and wait and let him figure that crap out. AND B) don't be an a-hole to the IT guy. He is just doing his job; which is to keep all resources humming along 24/7 for everybody. Don't be a prick to him

Good luck bro.

MavsX
06-10-2010, 17:22

Airmotive, I apologize.

Stop connecting things to other people's networks without thier express permission, blessing and a written policy.

Go talk to your IT guy, he may want to tell you the story of the fun you caused, he may want to apologize for throwing you under the bus (he may not have had a choice).

THIS!

I love helping out the people that are nice to me and aren't a bunch of pricks to me. The people that are a-holes don't get anything special from me. But, i'll bend over backwards for some of the people that i really like. DO IT!

airmotive
06-10-2010, 18:35
Well...she got some special things...like when the IT manager hooked her iPhone up for her and then telling her the iPad hooks up the exact same way.

But it's a moot point now.

terminated.

Not sure if they're also going to fire the entire staff that has their mobile devices hooked up. Considering that would also be the entire executive management. But oh well...the example has been made.

Bado
06-10-2010, 19:47
I still haven't found posts on the net that shows anyone else has crashed an exchange server with an iPad. Anyone else? Only that the iPads are crashing when connecting to exchange in the beta.

cgwahl
06-11-2010, 12:06

MavsX
06-11-2010, 12:46
Well...she got some special things...like when the IT manager hooked her iPhone up for her and then telling her the iPad hooks up the exact same way.

But it's a moot point now.

terminated.

Not sure if they're also going to fire the entire staff that has their mobile devices hooked up. Considering that would also be the entire executive management. But oh well...the example has been made.

wait, your wife got terminated for this? that sucks man.

airmotive
06-11-2010, 16:11
wait, your wife got terminated for this? that sucks man.

Yes and yes it does.

Especially as we learn more.
It's not a huge network. Maybe a hundred people total. Of those, only 30 are in the field. (At least) one other is using an iPad and several are using iPhones.

As I said in another thread, my brother in law is a computer engineer with 25 yeas in the design-side of the industry who has worked with one of the design engineers of the iPad. His quote when we showed him the email, "That's utterly rediculous." I don't have the knowledge base to either support or disclaim his statement; I can only repeat it.

Anyway, we've heard from several people that the whole situation looks more like an network admin throwing an employee (my wife) under the bus in order to avoid criticism. (And, it turns out, the network admin is not a 'computer guy', but someone from another department who inherited the job two years ago when the person who set up the system quit).

Sucks. But noone else at the company knows how the network works...so he kind of holds the company hostage. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Bado
06-11-2010, 16:21
If that is what was stated as their reason for dismissal, that was pretty shady. I have yet to see one documented incident where an iPAD crashed an exchange server. And I would think there are a million out there by now.