Concealing a 1911 Colt with a 3 inch barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Concealing a 1911 Colt with a 3 inch barrel

CDR_Glock
05-28-2010, 05:25
Mas

My friend is 5'10", 150 pounds. He is exceedingly thin and would like to conceal a Colt Defender 3" 1911. What holsters do you recommend for him? Crossdraw Supertuck? Clipdraw in condition 1? Comp-tac Minotaur? Comp-tac 2:00? Small of Back Holster? "Man Purse"?

Thank you for any insight that you have based upon your experience.

Mas Ayoob
05-28-2010, 07:57
CDR, any of the inside the waistband holsters you describe should get the job done. Your friend will want pants a couple of inches larger in the waistband to allow for comfort with more bulk now inside the waist area.

I would avoid middle of the back holsters. Slow to reach, uncomfortable when sitting and likely to exacerbate injury in a rearward fall, difficult to defend in a gun retention situation. I would also avoid the "man purse" or other off-body carry: by definition, off-body items are often not within reach when needed.

best,
Mas

CDR_Glock
05-28-2010, 18:54
I have a few follow up questions:

I have read that TX is the only state where "printing" is illegal. Is that true? Other states are ok to "print"?

What steps do you recommend to minimize, if now eliminate "printing"?

Thank you, again, Mas.

Mas Ayoob
05-28-2010, 21:59
You'll want to check with Texas gun owners' rights group, the State Rifle Association, or with the Texas State Attorney General's Office for details on that.

I can tell you that Texas is not the only state where it is legal with a permit to carry concealed, but not legal to carry in public visibly armed. Florida, for example, is another state where that holds true. "Printing" -- i.e., the shape of the gun becoming identifiably visible through what should be concealing clothing -- is a shooters' term, not legal terminology.

So, if you are in a jurisdiction where it is not legal to be visibly armed in public and the gun prints, you will have a problem. The archives of Glock Talk are rife with cases where there were "hassles" and "scenes" over a visible firearm in public even in jurisdictions where Open Carry was perfectly legal.

For tips on minimizing printing, take a look at the Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry at your local gun shop, or Borders or Barnes & Noble.

best,
Mas