What if max load was exceeded by .1-.3 gr? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What if max load was exceeded by .1-.3 gr?

Kwesi
05-28-2010, 05:56
As I was loading some 9mm 115 gr FMJ's w/WSF & OAL 1.164-1.169:
I noticed some grains sticking to the inside wall of the powder measure (550B) so I thumped my finger against the outside to release them then after a few rounds it occured to me to check the weight & it was 5.9!

I recall a thread discussing how banging on the powder measure could throw off the grains. I realize the max load in the charts has a safety net built in. I have no way to identify these few rounds out of the 100 loaded.

Is a .2 over the listed max of 5.7 be of serious concern?

Thank you.

Brucev
05-28-2010, 06:36
"Is a .3 over the listed max of 5.7 be of serious concern?" Yes!!!

tjpet
05-28-2010, 07:33
I regularly load 115/124grn. 9mm ammo w/6.2grns. WSF for +P level power. My OAL is 1.150" and I don't have any problems. You won't either as long as you're using a modern gun rated for hot ammo.

Jumper
05-28-2010, 07:35
I wouldn't worry about it. WSF is a good powder choice for 9mm so it wont be subject to extreme pressure spikes in the range your talking about. If you are shooting these through a firearm in good shape and your brass is in good condition you should be OK. Worst that may happen if your brass is old is a ruptured case, or maybe a case head separation. Be aware of this when you are shooting and if you have a malfunction make sure you don't have a separated case head or something similar stuck in the chamber. Stop and inspect the gun before you keep shooting.

A good way to stop the powder hanging up in the measure is to rub it down good with a dryer sheet. This neutralizes the static charge that contributes to the problem.

Kwesi
05-28-2010, 08:28
I meant .1-.3 over my load of 5.6 ( not .3 over max of 5.7 ). I'll be shooting this is my MP5K clone , full auto. These guns tend to prefer hotter, not necessarily +P, ammo. The brass all looks fine. So just to be clear: I might have a few rounds that are .2 over max!

Zombie Steve
05-28-2010, 08:37
http://scioly.org/users/darksabre/panic.gif

Seriously, I haven't used WSF for 9mm, but it sounds like you will be ok (although pushing it a bit). Be careful, folks.

freakshow10mm
05-28-2010, 09:42
I load the 9mm with a 115gr plated and 6gr of WSF for my H&K P7PSP. It's safe in my gun but the brass can contain that pressure (only difference between 9mm and 9mm+P brass is the "+P" stamp on the head). OAL is 1.15 inches. If you're that or longer, my opinion is it should be safe to fire.

IndyGunFreak
05-28-2010, 09:47
I meant .1-.3 over my load of 5.6 ( not .3 over max of 5.7 ). I'll be shooting this is my MP5K clone , full auto. These guns tend to prefer hotter, not necessarily +P, ammo. The brass all looks fine. So just to be clear: I might have a few rounds that are .2 over max!

I think there's some powders, where that .2 could be a concern, but I'm not completely convinced that WSF is one of them..

I'd probably shoot them, and pay more attention next time.

IGF

Kwesi
05-28-2010, 10:01
[QUOTE=Jumper;

A good way to stop the powder hanging up in the measure is to rub it down good with a dryer sheet. This neutralizes the static charge that contributes to the problem.[/QUOTE]

Inside, outside the powder tube or both? Doesn't the fabric softener in these have any negative affect?

unclebob
05-28-2010, 10:07
Inside, outside the powder tube or both? Doesn't the fabric softener in these have any negative affect?

Both. Nope.

Three-Five-Seven
05-28-2010, 10:24
First, clean that measure with Alcohol. Then, use Hornady One Shot Cleaner Lubricant (not to be confused with One Shot Case Lube) to get things running smoothly without any build up. Then, if things don't improve, ground your powder measure.

Kwesi
05-28-2010, 11:57
First, clean that measure with Alcohol. Then, use Hornady One Shot Cleaner Lubricant (not to be confused with One Shot Case Lube) to get things running smoothly without any build up. Then, if things don't improve, ground your powder measure.

Don't think there is any issue getting the powder to run smoothly as this happened only after I thumped the side. Prior to that all the loads were at the desired level when checked.

GioaJack
05-28-2010, 12:03
If you have your powder baffle installed you really shouldn't be having a problem... the powder usually clings to the sides above the level of the baffle.

Jack

HAMMERHEAD
05-28-2010, 14:14
Powder measures usually specify not to use lubricants, check you instructions before cleaning/lubing.

Taroman
05-28-2010, 16:35
Kerblamo. Game over.

Seriously, I would run a full pound of powder through a new measure - wide open. Seems the graphite component of the powder sort of coats the workings to help break it in.

As for the overloads, I'd pull them down. YMMV.

When I load, it is to make the best ammunition that I can, not something that just goes bang.

unclebob
05-28-2010, 17:24
Seriously, I would run a full pound of powder through a new measure - wide open. Seems the graphite component of the powder sort of coats the workings to help break it in.

As for the overloads, I'd pull them down. YMMV.

When I load, it is to make the best ammunition that I can, not something that just goes bang.

Why not just put some powder graphite in the powder measure. Well do the same thing.
You would pull 100 rds to find a round that has .3 grs over max that is going too be fired in a full auto MP5K? Better you than me. For me itís going down the barrel. If it was a 60 year old gun I would not. But a new modern day gun I would have no problem about shooting unless I was already showing over pressure at book max loads.

Kwesi
05-29-2010, 07:18
If you have your powder baffle installed you really shouldn't be having a problem... the powder usually clings to the sides above the level of the baffle.

Jack

That's exactly how it is Jack.

fredj338
05-29-2010, 12:30
:wow:"Is a .3 over the listed max of 5.7 be of serious concern?" Yes!!!
WHos max? Max in my gun may not be max in your gun. Reloading manuals are guides. It's why you average data from more than one source. IMO, 5.9gr w/ a 115gr FMJ is not max. I have gone to 6gr under a 124grJHP.:dunno: