Cleaning 22 barrels [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning 22 barrels

ricklee4570
05-28-2010, 09:07
Why do so many on here recommed NOT cleaning the 22 rifle barrels? What is different about the rimfires from the center fires that makes cleaning them discouraged?

Flipz
05-28-2010, 10:00
Why do so many on here recommed NOT cleaning the 22 rifle barrels? What is different about the rimfires from the center fires that makes cleaning them discouraged?
Um, thats a new one to me. I dont know why someone would suggest not cleaning a .22lr barrel. I clean my Sig 522 with both a rod & brush and also a boresnake. My personal opinion is that everything runs better when clean.

If you were never to clean a barrel you would eventually have problems with built up residue in the bore and lead/residue in the barrel rifling.

I dont know who you heard this from but I disagree.

Never Nervous
05-28-2010, 10:08
I clean my 522 and 10-22 after every trip to the range. The 10-22 requires a lot more work (for me) to clean. Seems to shoot better.

vafish
05-28-2010, 11:00
Because they don't need it.

.22 LR ammo is slow enough to not cause a lot of copper fouling, the plain lead bullets don't seem to lead the barrel.

You do more damage to a .22LR barrel with improper cleaning then you will by not cleaning it.

I've also done testing and target rifles shoot better groups after about 50 rounds or so then they do with a clean bore.

Centrefire rifles firing bullets at 2,500-3,000+ FPS leave a lot of copper fouling in the bore and need to be cleaned more often.

Twisted Steel
05-28-2010, 12:38
I've seen people posting targets and noting "fouling shots", which I thought was interesting.

Growing up, my father was religious about cleaning our shotguns and rifles, but we didn't have a rod that would fit a 22. The rifle as always been, and still is, extremely accurate.

I cleaned it a couple years ago for the first time ever, and it started jamming, for the first time ever.

DWARREN123
05-28-2010, 12:49
Clean everything but the bore, clean the bore only when accuracy falls off.
A lot of 22lr firearms shoot better with a seasoned bore than they do clean. Once clean a rimfire can take up to 100 rounds to return to good accuracy.

Never Nervous
05-28-2010, 17:58
Because they don't need it.

.22 LR ammo is slow enough to not cause a lot of copper fouling, the plain lead bullets don't seem to lead the barrel.

You do more damage to a .22LR barrel with improper cleaning then you will by not cleaning it.

I've also done testing and target rifles shoot better groups after about 50 rounds or so then they do with a clean bore.

Centrefire rifles firing bullets at 2,500-3,000+ FPS leave a lot of copper fouling in the bore and need to be cleaned more often.

I guess my 10-22 is smarter than I am. :supergrin:
Thanks for the info.

NN

DustyJacket
05-28-2010, 18:38
I've shot a LOT of .22LR (NRA 50-foot program riflr and pistol team in college, etc)

In bolt-action rifles shooting standard velocity you don't clean them often.

Semi-auto pistols - there is a lot of lead and crud floating around. Clean often (maybe not every time if you are only shooting 50 rounds) to continue smooth functioning, especially the chamber and bolt face/extractor.. Pistols get DIRTY.

Semi-auto rifles - no experience.

YMMV

Glock 17L
05-28-2010, 19:29
I clean my 22s after every range setion..
I only clean from the chamber & also have a bore snake for use at the range..
When you pull it threw lead shards fall out everywere & I use the Federal Copper washed bulk ammo mostly..
Also I find that a .270" brush works great in the chamber to get all the lead crud out..

http://www.paulzintgunsmith.com/sitebuilder/images/GarySutter2-600x275.jpg

Morgo
05-28-2010, 19:41
There's a big difference between not cleaning a .22 rifle as often as a centrefire and not cleaning the .22 at all.

I really doubt any of the olympic .22 shooters use their rifles with several years worth of build up in the barrel.

DustyJacket
05-28-2010, 19:45
deleted

vafish
05-28-2010, 20:18
I've shot a LOT of .22LR (NRA 50-foot program riflr and pistol team in college, etc)

In bolt-action rifles shooting standard velocity you don't clean them often.

Semi-auto pistols - there is a lot of lead and crud floating around. Clean often (maybe not every time if you are only shooting 50 rounds) to continue smooth functioning, especially the chamber and bolt face/extractor.. Pistols get DIRTY.

Semi-auto rifles - no experience.

YMMV

Actions still need to be cleaned and lubed if they are a bolt action rifle or semi auto pistol. Bloop tubes removed and cleaned as well.

But no need to clean the bore often on a .22. Maybe run a rod down the bore every 5,000-10,000 rounds or once a year.

ricklee4570
05-29-2010, 07:28
Actions still need to be cleaned and lubed if they are a bolt action rifle or semi auto pistol. Bloop tubes removed and cleaned as well.

But no need to clean the bore often on a .22. Maybe run a rod down the bore every 5,000-10,000 rounds or once a year.

When you say run a rod down the bore, do you mean just a patch with some CLP on it to remove light powder foulling or do you mean to run a brush and patches with solvent?

I have also heard some advocate NEVER using a brush on a 22 barrel.

vafish
05-29-2010, 18:31
When you say run a rod down the bore, do you mean just a patch with some CLP on it to remove light powder foulling or do you mean to run a brush and patches with solvent?

I have also heard some advocate NEVER using a brush on a 22 barrel.

Brush and patches when it is cleaned.

Brush isn't going to hurt a .22 barrel.

Warhorse
05-30-2010, 12:56
Every time one of my firearms gets shot...it gets cleaned.

It makes no difference to me if it's a centerfire or a rimfire...it gets cleaned.

Yes, even the barrels on rimfires, it does nothing harmful to them.

HAMMERHEAD
05-30-2010, 16:23
Depends on the gun. My Mark II's bore has only been cleaned twice, and it probably didn't need it. The bore is smooth and shiny. I clean the action though.
My S&W revolver OTOH has a rather rough bore, and like another poster, I got lead shards coming out when I clean it, it looks like tinsel. It has to be cleaned regularly.

ChiefWPD
05-30-2010, 18:37
For my .22 caliber revolvers and pistols I clean around the action and mechanism but as for the bores, I run either a Q-Tip or a twirl of cotton on a stick, soaked in Hoppes #9 down the bores to clean, followed by a Q-Tip/cotton on a stick of CLP. Work for me.

RedHaze
05-30-2010, 19:22
I run a boresnake through my 22's once in a while. But that's a far as it goes.

Clem Eastwood
05-30-2010, 20:57
Brush and patches when it is cleaned.

Brush isn't going to hurt a .22 barrel.

on the whole i agree with you, but i never use a steel core brush. i rarely use a brush at all. i clean my actions on my bolt guns about every other range trip. when i do clean the bore (when it starts to loose accuracy or when im going to be testing different loads) i dont even use a brush. i use a bore guide, a good dewey rod, a bronze jag and patches. i have had good success with this. but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

vafish
05-31-2010, 06:38
on the whole i agree with you, but i never use a steel core brush. i rarely use a brush at all. i clean my actions on my bolt guns about every other range trip. when i do clean the bore (when it starts to loose accuracy or when im going to be testing different loads) i dont even use a brush. i use a bore guide, a good dewey rod, a bronze jag and patches. i have had good success with this. but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

You are completely correct. I didn't go into detail on cleaning methods.

It's not the cleaning that harms a barrel, it's improper cleaning and cheap equipment that harms the barrel.

MoNsTeR
05-31-2010, 20:26
Count me in the "never clean a rimfire bore" camp. Still works? Still accurate? Why clean it? The action is gonna get gummed up and eventually need cleaning or function will suffer. But what is cleaning the bore supposed to accomplish?

FWIW, Anschutz recommends cleaning a new target rifle's bore after 10,000 rounds.

Warhorse
06-03-2010, 16:42
After reading all the posts saying it does not accomplish anything to clean .22 rimfire bores, I have decided not to clean my .22 bores any more this season.

I will see for myself if it seems to make any difference at all regarding accuarcy for this summer and fall.

It just goes against anything I was ever taught, but what the hell, it's something new to try.

mboylan
06-04-2010, 02:48
There's a big difference between not cleaning a .22 rifle as often as a centrefire and not cleaning the .22 at all.

I really doubt any of the olympic .22 shooters use their rifles with several years worth of build up in the barrel.

They will shoot with several thousand rounds worth of fouling. Most won't compete without a few hundred of the same exact ammo to season the bore. The manufacturer recommends 10000 rounds between bore cleanings. Bolts get cleaned when they need it. Trigger mechanisms get lightly blown out with compressed air when the feel starts to change. They are very delicate and easy to damage.

mboylan
06-04-2010, 02:51
Every time one of my firearms gets shot...it gets cleaned.

It makes no difference to me if it's a centerfire or a rimfire...it gets cleaned.

Yes, even the barrels on rimfires, it does nothing harmful to them.

Depends on your definition of accuracy.

Rimfire rifling is super easy to damage, especially the leade and crown. If you use a rod, you need to use a bore guide.

Good ammo is very well lubed. It takes at least 30 shots to get the bore seasoned.

The best target rifle manufacturers recommend cleaning the bore only after 5000-10000 rounds. Anschutz recommends 10000 rounds. Manufacturer's instructions.

DustyJacket
06-05-2010, 17:35
The more I think back to my competition days, the more I remember NOT cleaning the barrels for a LONG time.

I did clean the actions on semi-autos regularly though. The M41 pistol every week. The M14 rifle every month.

Hmmmmm.

My .308 bolt-gun that I did not clean lest time I shot it keeps calling to me to clean it. I plan on ignoring it for a while.

compscotty
06-16-2010, 21:05
Cleaning is good yes but i never did like jamming a cleaning rod down the barrel that's almost as big as the barrel itself. I've heard those wire brushes can cause damage as well as the rod itself. So what i do is just spray cleaner down the barrel and then run a few patches through it. That's it!!

just my $0.02

thatguybryan
06-19-2010, 13:22
I was actually talking about this yesterday, lol.

I've had my .22 for almost 8 years now (savage mark II bolt action) and I have only cleaned it one time. Still deadly accurate with cheap ammo and it never fails me. Just my experience..

wingspar
06-19-2010, 17:59
Not cleaning a .22 goes completely against what I was taught. Tho I may not clean mine every time I shoot, I do clean them.

A few months ago when a guy at the LGS was helping me sight in my old (1950ish) 22 bolt action that I had to replace both the front and rear sights on, I was taking 10 shots, then bringing the target and the gun into the store. He would adjust. I would clean the gun, take it out, 10 more shots, and take it back into the store. One of the other guys in the store asked me if Iíd cleaned it between the 10 shots, and I said not yet. We took the bolt out to look down the barrel, and I was shocked to see tons of lead deposits in the barrel. I was using CCI Select.

I donít see this kind of deposit in my 10/22 or my Mosquito, and to be honest, I do take them out and shoot them a few times between cleanings, but I do sleep better knowing they are clean.

How much of a part does the age of the gun and length of barrel play in the "donít need to clean your .22" theory?

mdhandyman
06-20-2010, 20:37
Cleaning is good yes but i never did like jamming a cleaning rod down the barrel that's almost as big as the barrel itself. I've heard those wire brushes can cause damage as well as the rod itself. So what i do is just spray cleaner down the barrel and then run a few patches through it. That's it!!

just my $0.02

^^^^
Agree:laughabove:

vafish
06-21-2010, 05:47
How much of a part does the age of the gun and length of barrel play in the "donít need to clean your .22" theory?

It's the condition of the barrel, not it's age.

I have a Anschutz target rifle that was made in the mid 1970's, A Marlin 39 made in 1952, a Remington 510 made in 1945, and a Remington 24 that was made in 1932.

They all have nice smooth barrels and don't show signs of leading.

wingspar
06-21-2010, 12:44
It's the condition of the barrel, not it's age.

What about length of barrel? I have a bolt action .22 that my father bought in the late 1940's, or possibly in 1950 that has a 24-inch barrel. After 5 shots, you can take the bolt out, and see tons of crud in the barrel. I donít see this on shorter newer .22's.

mboylan
06-22-2010, 02:18
Not cleaning a .22 goes completely against what I was taught. Tho I may not clean mine every time I shoot, I do clean them.

A few months ago when a guy at the LGS was helping me sight in my old (1950ish) 22 bolt action that I had to replace both the front and rear sights on, I was taking 10 shots, then bringing the target and the gun into the store. He would adjust. I would clean the gun, take it out, 10 more shots, and take it back into the store. One of the other guys in the store asked me if I’d cleaned it between the 10 shots, and I said not yet. We took the bolt out to look down the barrel, and I was shocked to see tons of lead deposits in the barrel. I was using CCI Select.

I don’t see this kind of deposit in my 10/22 or my Mosquito, and to be honest, I do take them out and shoot them a few times between cleanings, but I do sleep better knowing they are clean.

How much of a part does the age of the gun and length of barrel play in the "don’t need to clean your .22" theory?

If you have tons of lead deposits, you have a damaged bore. It's been damaged by using a cleaning rod with no bore guide. Time for a new barrel. Always use a coated rod and a bore guide. Clean the bore sparingly. The best .22 rifle manufacturers recommend cleaning the bore every 5000-10000 rounds.

ricklee4570
06-22-2010, 02:22
If you have tons of lead deposits, you have a damaged bore. It's been damaged by using a cleaning rod with no bore guide.

Not neccessarily. I have shot 300 rounds out of my Ruger Charger. It is very accurate. The last 5 shots were just as accurate as the first 5.

I cleaned it last night. I was surprised at how many lead slivers came out of the barrel. With my bore light I could see some lead fouling that wouldnt come out. I had to soak it for about an hour to finally get the bore shiny bright.

There was no damage from a bore rod, as I use the patchworm only.

I have to asume I may have a slightly rough bore, but as long as accuracy is good, I dont care. It will smooth over time.

COLDSTEEL165
08-06-2010, 03:38
I clean my Rem Nylon 66 RF LR about twice a year I shoot nothing but either Stinger's or Rem Yellow Jacket's or CCI Mini Mags through it for woodchucks etc. & the accuracy with just the iron sights are right on at 100 yds' Never any accuracy problems with it at all the gun is so on that I never botherd to put the 22 scope back on it, These aging eyes are still good, expecially after a couple of cataract's surgury in each eye there now back to 20/20 again, nice.