Snap-swivel or tie every lure? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Snap-swivel or tie every lure?

Dennis in MA
05-28-2010, 20:19
I grew up tying bad knots. Instead of screwing up continuously, I'd just toss a snap-swivel on there and change lures quickly.

Last year I learned a very fast knot - have no idea what it's called. I tie directly now, but it seems so many sources I read they are using snap-swivels.

Was I ahead of my time before???

Do you use a snap or tie each lure? If you tie, what knot do you use?

. . .

Found the knot - Reverse Clinch Knot
http://www.lurenet.com/FishingResources/Multimedia/AltonJonesDisplaysReverseCinch?speed=WM_MediumSpeed

Takes me about 15-20 seconds.

Jonesee
05-29-2010, 09:17
I was always taught that if the lure spinned, you use a swiviel or snap swivel (which is what you are referrring to). Other than that you tied directly.

A Mepps bucktail gets a swivel. A top water plug gets tied directly...

Anything in salt or brackish water is always tied directly. In salt water you can use a swivel, but you attach a leader to it and tie the leader directly to the bait.

DJ Niner
05-29-2010, 14:47
I was always taught that if the lure spinned, you use a swiviel or snap swivel (which is what you are referrring to). Other than that you tied directly.

A Mepps bucktail gets a swivel. A top water plug gets tied directly...

Anything is salt or brackish water is always tied directly. In salt water you can use a swivel, but you attach a leader to it and tie the leader directly to the bait.Pretty much the way I was taught to do it, as well. If we were freshwater fishing for anything with teeth/bony protrusions in the mouth (Northern Pike, for instance), we always tied directly, because otherwise the teeth would tear-up the line just above the swivel and it would break much sooner.

vafish
05-29-2010, 18:41
Pretty much the way I was taught to do it, as well. If we were freshwater fishing for anything with teeth/bony protrusions in the mouth (Northern Pike, for instance), we always tied directly, because otherwise the teeth would tear-up the line just above the swivel and it would break much sooner.

Always used a steel leader on Northern Pike. The leader had a swivel in it.

DJ Niner
05-29-2010, 23:13
Always used a steel leader on Northern Pike. The leader had a swivel in it.Didn't see/use those until much later in life. My fishing instructors were rather, uh, "frugal." :supergrin: I think the grown-ups did use them for Muskie, but all that stuff was considered specialized equipment, and the kiddies weren't allowed to mess with the Muskie gear... :dunno:

BlackBelt
06-06-2010, 05:59
I use snap swivels on everything except plastic worms and any type of suspension jerk bait (the swivels weigh them down).
I am horrible at tying knots, so swivels have always been my friend.

ct.glocker
06-07-2010, 19:22
Try a Palomar Knot. Easy to tie and very strong.http://www.animatedknots.com/

Ludwigs9th
06-16-2010, 21:25
I use a variety of things.

Most of the time my spinning gear gets a ball-bearing snap swivel.

Some bait casting gear gets just a snap with no swivel.

Spinner-baits, crank baits, and buzz baits get tried direct.

When I'm ice-fishing, trout fishing, or fine-tuning jig colors on crappies and pan-fish I like this...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20293_TGP&id=0011851110700a&navCount=1&podId=0011851&parentId=cat20293&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

Dennis in MA
06-17-2010, 11:12
OK, I cheated over the weekend. I used the rod rigged for my daughter and Texas rigged some Yum Dingers. Because it's rigged for her, it's got a snap swivel on it. Given the light weight, I found it a bit helpful in casting into the grass beds. LOL

luv2brode
06-17-2010, 12:15
swivel

Ludwigs9th
06-21-2010, 13:40
It sounds like many people are connecting the hook or lure right to the swivel. I can't say I've done this often. When using a snap swivel, I always tie a leader between the hook and the swivel. I think I have developed this habit because many of the waters I fish are ultra-clear and fish can see the swivel. Putting the swivel 12-14" above the hook still allows the swivel to function without giving an unnatural look to the baited hook.