Thoughts on Commonality and Standardization [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Commonality and Standardization

D.S.Brown
05-28-2010, 21:26
Mas,

I was just wondering what your opinion of this practice say in regards to your average citizen who may hold a chl, chp, ccw et al, but will own say two handguns? They are not collectors, but somewhat of an enthusiast interested primarily in personal protection. Would you recommend they select a platform and a caliber combination that allows for this? I personally started thinking about this around 14 years ago when Glock introduced their ill fated defense sets in G19/G26 and G23/G27 combos.

I've made that decision already as all of the Glocks in my Sig line are set up the same way, though the inclusion of the Sig would indicate a more of a caliber combination. Again interested in your thoughts on this practice.

Lastly thanks for all of your shared expertise. I listened to the Proarms Podcast regarding Light Triggers. It brought me back into the "camp," if you will, of the NY1 w/ the 4.5lb connector, after having gone back to the 4.5lb connector ONLY set up. My shooting and accuracy have not suffered.

Thanks again.

Best,

Dave

Mas Ayoob
05-28-2010, 21:38
Dave, the commonality factor makes a lot of sense for a lot of people. Many have found that a set of same-caliber Glocks, for example, ranging from subcompact for hot weather and/or backup, up through compact, service size, and long-slide serve a wide variety of needs.

For generations, cops and armed citizens alike got by with a 2" .38 for concealment, a 4" for uniform holster or nightstand, and maybe a 6" for pistol team work. Today, that would read Glock 26, 19 or 17, and 34 for the same set of purposes in 9mm, or 27, 23 or 22, and 35 in .40. "Doing it all" with the same caliber also streamlines ammo acquisition and reloading.

Similar platforms in different calibers also make sense for different needs. The loads may change, but the shooting skills transfer nonetheless.

A .22 conversion unit will extend the commonality even further.

best,
Mas