Dumb question time: [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question time:

Sheepdog Scout
05-28-2010, 22:08
I'm still learning the 10mm ropes. I normally shoot 165gr or so target ammo, outta my .40 guns (like my G22 or P99). If I shoot 165gr target ammo outta my G20, do both rounds have about the same properties (energy,etc)? I mean I know that the .40 is pretty much a weak 10mm round.

And thanks for all the answers to my last question. Got a lot of good info about Double Tap and especially Georgia Arms. Their stuff is a bit cheaper than even the cheapest target ammo (Blazer aluminum 200gr) around here. It's about .53 around with tax included for the cheap stuff in my part of Iowa. And with shipping included the middle of the road 165/180gr GA stuff is about .44 a round. It adds up after a while. Now I gotta get shooting with it and save the brass for when I wanna start reloading. Just gotta wanna spend the moola on reloading equipment.

I'll have my first range report when I get to shoot the G20 for the first time.

Thanks!:wavey:

cowboywannabe
05-29-2010, 00:20
off the shelf target ammo is weak for 10mm and is usually .40cal powered.

Grrrr
05-29-2010, 02:54
umc 180gr target ammo is about the hottest off the shelf you will find. it's hotter than any 40 non self defense off the shelf load.

B.Reid
05-30-2010, 21:28
I only shoot 180 to 200 grain bullets out of my 10mm. I shoot the lighter bullets in my Forty's. My 10's are loaded by me.

Taterhead
05-31-2010, 16:12
umc 180gr target ammo is about the hottest off the shelf you will find. it's hotter than any 40 non self defense off the shelf load.

I agree. I find the UMC 180 FMJ to be of high quality - especially compared to the anemic American Eagle stuff. I haven't bought any in a while since I usually load my own. Remington claims, I believe, velocities of 1150 fps. I have never gotten around to chronying any, but I'd agree that their velocity claims are accurate. They definitely exhibit a supersonic crack, so that puts the velocities north of the neighborhood of 1125 fps.

The nickel brass is nice too. I have a bunch in my rotation of reloading stock.

Taterhead
05-31-2010, 16:25
I'm still learning the 10mm ropes. I normally shoot 165gr or so target ammo, outta my .40 guns (like my G22 or P99). If I shoot 165gr target ammo outta my G20, do both rounds have about the same properties (energy,etc)? I mean I know that the .40 is pretty much a weak 10mm round.

Thanks!:wavey:

There is a lot of great information to be gleaned from this forum. I know that I have learned a lot from these guys.

Calculated energy is a function of weight and velocity. The .40 and 10mm shoot the identical projectiles, so the (usually) higher velocities of the 10mm, for a given weight, will have greater energy.

By the way, to calculate energy:

multiply the square of the velocity (in fps) times the bullet weight. Divide that by 450,400

ft/lb engergy = (V x V x W)/450,400

where V = velocity in fps and W = bullet weight in grains.