Thoughts on Glock Carbines [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Glock Carbines

jethro21
05-29-2010, 12:37
This may not be the right forum for this...

I have been eyeballing Glock Carbine kits lately, specifically the FAB K.P.O.S. and secondly the RONI. I have read some opinions through doing a search here but haven't seen any reviews on them.

I know a lot of people might not be willing to do the ATF stamp and put the money into one of these kits, but I am thinking I want to try it. I already have an AR15 which is my personal rifle that I use on duty. This would purely be for my own fun. I have always liked the mech tech, but thought it was a little long and odd shaped for my tastes.

Anyone have any experience with these or, like me, think they look like a fun way to burn ammo?

Thanks,
Jethro

Thekat
05-29-2010, 15:02
Jetrho,

I am with ya man. I too would consider one of these. I recently picked up a Keltec carbine (one of the old sub 9 type). It is super fun, but "feels like a kel tec" I really can't believe Glock has turned one of these out yet. Either a bullpup design or even similar to the kel tec, but with features of some of the other kit designs. I love the recent hera, FAB etc. designs.

Free Radical
05-29-2010, 15:34
Glock is making money hand over fist doing what they are doing now. They cannot even keep up with demand. So why would Glock spring for all the research and development costs for a new product that they have no capacity to manufacture?

1985 4Runner
05-29-2010, 15:35
Glock is making money hand over fist doing what they are doing now. They cannot even keep up with demand. So why would Glock spring for all the research and development costs for a new product that they have no capacity to manufacture?

um, Honda?

eaglesfan55
05-29-2010, 15:39

to make more $$$, how much do you think they could sell a glock carbine for??? it pops up on here a couple of times a week....

Free Radical
05-29-2010, 16:01
Maybe Gaston doesn't want to emulate the Honda business model. maybe he is smart enough to realize that the headlong pursuit of simply more money might be less, rather than more. Years ago I made a similar decission. I moved to a beautiful place to have a pretty little life. By doing so I gave up the chance to get rich. I am richer by far for that choice.

.45Super-Man
05-29-2010, 21:55
To begin with, Gaston would have to hire a small arms designer because he isnt one. Wilhelm Bubits designed the original "Glock pistol", not Gaston. Bubits has been gone from the co. since 1997 and since then designed the Steyr M and more recently the Caracal. There's a reason there has been no carbines, sub-machineguns,etc from Glock. While the design maybe great, it's in no way a reflection of Gaston Glock. Everyone knows that any other firearm with the Glock logo would sell like crazy, no differently than the pistol lineup. Not being able to keep up with the demand is what every mfgr dreams of!!

eaglesfan55
05-29-2010, 21:58
Maybe Gaston doesn't want to emulate the Honda business model. maybe he is smart enough to realize that the headlong pursuit of simply more money might be less, rather than more. Years ago I made a similar decission. I moved to a beautiful place to have a pretty little life. By doing so I gave up the chance to get rich. I am richer by far for that choice.

a person has the free will to do that. a business is in business to make money. thats it. thats why they call how much you make the 'bottom line'

if they could design one at a cost effective level that they would feel ok stamping with the glock logo they would.

ronin.45
05-29-2010, 23:43
A carbine that takes Glock mags has been on my list for years. No good ones have been available to date and MSAR is really letting us down.:crying:

durabo
05-29-2010, 23:48
i think if your willing to go the tax stamp route..

i would just build a SBR in whatever caliber you fancy.

i own a glock and an AR both, and i just like the versatility of the AR platform, you can customize it to fit your needs, and spec it out to be EXACTLY what you want, you wont be giving up your handgun for a rifle or vice versa (you can carry both) and to top it all off its just plain fun to build them.

i once was in the market for a glock carbine conversion, after getting into building ARs i dont think i would ever buy a glock conversion, and if someone gave me one, i would sell it to fund a SBR.

just my 2 cents :D

Quiet
05-29-2010, 23:57
A carbine that takes Glock mags has been on my list for years. No good ones have been available to date and MSAR is really letting us down.:crying:

You do know there are AR15s that take Glock magazines.

http://www.oa2.org/forums/download.php?id=1964

RichardB
05-30-2010, 07:26
I'm guessing that in order to make money on a 9mm carbine Glock would need to design it as an automatic SMG to sell to military and police organizations, with a semi-auto version for civilian sales.

There are already plenty of proven 9mm SMGs on the market.

Notice that over the years Marlin & Ruger dropped their pistol caliber semi-auto carbines.

The market has spoken.

glocksterr
05-30-2010, 07:40
There are already plenty of proven 9mm SMGs on the market.

The market has spoken.

tech-9?

:cool:

ronin.45
05-30-2010, 08:58
You do know there are AR15s that take Glock magazines.

http://www.oa2.org/forums/download.php?id=1964

None that I consider good yet.

I don't care for Olympic Arms and the new Lone Wolf lowers still have issues.

Darkangel1846
05-30-2010, 10:57
FWIW I don't know but why would you want an excessively expensive short range 9mm rifle when there are several all ready out there that will do the job just fine.
KelTec sub 2000...mine shoots extreamly well, low cost, stelth configuration and uses the High cap Glock Mags
High Point 9mm.....Poor mans MP5, you can even get an after market high tech stock for it.
Mech Tech Carbine Conversion Rifles...not expensive and they work using your glock lower
Brettas storm....moderately expensive high tech 9mm rifle that looks and feels good.
MP5...real expensive 9mm rifle
We won't even go into the old ruger rifles

P7Guru
05-30-2010, 11:57
The 9mm subgun and carbine market is pretty dead. I suspect Gaston just doesn't want to fool with it. If it wasn't for the stupid NFA laws a good stock would really be all that was necessary to make a fun plinker.

jethro21
05-31-2010, 10:37
My department is pretty close to swapping our old G22s for the gen 4 models, when that happens we will get to buy our old ones. I would then permenantly dedicate that pistol to this build. I have thought about Olympic ar conversions, but their spotty quality concerns me.

Lior
06-05-2010, 11:59
My thoughts are that the RONI and other carbine conversions for Glocks are intended for countries in which it is difficult for non-governmental types to own anything but pistols. That said, they are also useful for standardization in parts and ammo between long guns and sidearms. If I lived in the US I wouldn't bother getting one, as there are plenty of decent niner carbines around that have less of an ATF signature.

That said, I have a RONI G1 with a Mep-21 sight for my G19, which is great fun on the range. Target reacquisition is very fast, but I would like to trying something more exciting than a reflex sight some day.

DonL
06-08-2010, 21:35
What locks the Glock into the RONI stock? I've seen how it is placed in one half and the other is clamped over it....but this doesn't seem like it would be solid. What are your thoughts?

Jer
06-09-2010, 01:12
i think if your willing to go the tax stamp route..

i would just build a SBR in whatever caliber you fancy.

i own a glock and an AR both, and i just like the versatility of the AR platform, you can customize it to fit your needs, and spec it out to be EXACTLY what you want, you wont be giving up your handgun for a rifle or vice versa (you can carry both) and to top it all off its just plain fun to build them.

i once was in the market for a glock carbine conversion, after getting into building ARs i dont think i would ever buy a glock conversion, and if someone gave me one, i would sell it to fund a SBR.

just my 2 cents :D

It's funny you say that because I already have all that stuff. AR15's, AR10's, SBR's... etc. The one thing I don't yet have is an SMG and I want one now to add to the collection. My buddies have MP5s and UMPs and while I like them I just have a hard time justifying the price tag. Prior to the RONI or the KPOS I would eventually have purchased one of those and likely been happy with the purchase. Now, with these becoming available I can spend sub $500 on top of a doner G17 that I already have and I'm done. Easy as that. I will run it for a while and if I hate it I will sell it off and keep the G17 as you can never have too many Glocks.

I'm leaning towards the KPOS version because I like how much 'less' it looks like and I also like how compact it becomes with the stock folded. The RONI one to me just looks more bulky and even w/the stock collapsed it still looks long to me. I kind of like the idea of a trigger cover safety but then again... maybe I don't. With some sort of cover you can conceal it and carry it w/o concern of a ND since there's no holster that would work with it. Perhaps one of those little trigger cover lanyard deals for pocket carry that I've seen? Haven't decided for sure yet but I'm leaning towards the KPOS of the two.