590 Action Release Control Issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 590 Action Release Control Issue

djegators
05-29-2010, 19:37
Last time I took my Mossberg 590 to the range, had an issue with the action release control after a few shots. Had to depress the lever to cycle action, when it should have unlocked automatically. Any ideas?

TexasNativeDRJH
05-29-2010, 20:55
Only thing I can think of is maybe you were shooting slugs and the bolt unlocked from the barrel slightly and your hand re-locked it forward.

When I shoot slugs in my 500 the bolt doesn't stay locked into barrel extension and really throws off my rythm.

If that's not it the only thing I could suggest is dry firing it to see if it does it without having fired a shell and them maybe make sure the internal controls are cleaned and lubed

vafish
05-30-2010, 04:56
Were you pulling back on the fore end when you fired the shot?

I know with my 500's if you pull back on the fore end and pull the trigger the slide does not release you then need to push forwards on the fore end before you can pull back.

djegators
05-30-2010, 19:30
Don't think that was it, and it happened with the other shooter with me as well. First few shots were fine, were able to work the pump, and fire again. After that, had to push the lever to get the pump to move back. I fully cleaned and lubed since then, but have not had a chance to fire it yet. On another board, it was suggested I contact Mossberg about the issue.

Omen
05-31-2010, 20:49
I own a 590A1 and found that every so often I would have to press the release to get the gun to pump. As others have said I found that it was due to me pulling back on the forend slightly. As much as I tried I didn't feel myself doing so, but when I made a conscious effort to push with my left hand while pulling back with my right the issue never repeated. Perhaps try this with your Mossberg to rule out that possibility?

Glock1911
06-24-2010, 06:58
I've had the same problem on two different 500's that I've owned. I'm almost certain that it is the pressure of pulling back on the fore end while firing.
Is there a way to disable this feature?

Omen
06-24-2010, 11:23
I've had the same problem on two different 500's that I've owned. I'm almost certain that it is the pressure of pulling back on the fore end while firing.
Is there a way to disable this feature?

I don't think you would want to. I believe you are taking the gun out of battery when this happens. Allowing it to fire in this state might be a bad deal.

djegators
06-24-2010, 22:03
Update for those who care. I contacted Mossberg, and I will be sending it to them soon as I can get down to UPS. Guy on the phone told me since this part of the trigger group, and it suggests there might be a weakness there, they want to take a look at it, and correct it.

TexasNativeDRJH
06-24-2010, 22:22
Hope it works out for you, but I thought the action release lever flipped down the part of the bolt that locks into the square cutout in the barrel extension. Didn't think it had anything to do with the trigger group.

Glock1911
06-27-2010, 13:31
I don't think you would want to. I believe you are taking the gun out of battery when this happens. Allowing it to fire in this state might be a bad deal.

I'm not so sure that is the case.

Glock1911
06-27-2010, 13:32
Hope it works out for you, but I thought the action release lever flipped down the part of the bolt that locks into the square cutout in the barrel extension. Didn't think it had anything to do with the trigger group.

I thought that was the case, also. Thus, my response in the above post.

af22raptor
06-27-2010, 23:09
Last time I took my Mossberg 590 to the range, had an issue with the action release control after a few shots. Had to depress the lever to cycle action, when it should have unlocked automatically. Any ideas?

Check how tight your safety is, sometimes it was loosen and make the action come out of battery.

djegators
07-01-2010, 20:51
I may not have paraphrased what the guy said correctly, but it seemed important enough to him to request that I send the gun in. I will update when I know more, thanks for all the input.

djegators
07-13-2010, 09:17
For those that are interested, the issue has been resolved very quickly and easily by Mossberg. I shipped via UPS the Friday before the 4th, they received it the following Tuesday, and shipped it back to me on Thursday, arriving on Saturday. They changed out the entire trigger assembly (I think, the invoice is not entirely clear) at no charge.