Fastest method of cleaning cylinder bores? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fastest method of cleaning cylinder bores?

Tingle
05-30-2010, 00:36
Are there any really fast methods to clean the cylinder?. I have a taurus 94 that I have reworked until it is a pleasure to shoot, unfortunately, after about 250 rounds of goldens the cylinder fouls badly. The rounds back out slightly as the gun is fired and the resistance on the recoil shield area will stall the cylinder rotation as the trigger is operated. Even when easing the trigger back the cylinder is hard to turn by hand and the cases are difficult to eject.

I'm looking for a way to clean it up fast so that I can keep it running at the range. I have tried a bronze brush with hoppes and a cordless drill with 5 or 6 passes through each bore which cleans most of the fouling but still leaves a ring. After another 50 rounds I have to repeat.

mitchshrader
05-30-2010, 00:55
chamfer and polish the cylinders. And stop shooting dirty ammo.

CitizenOfDreams
05-30-2010, 01:29
Those stupid wheel guns... Half the ammo capacity and six times as many chambers to clean. :tongueout:

Titurel
05-30-2010, 02:48
Try using lead cleaning cloth. Its a yellow-colored material, most gun stores carry it. You can cut it into patches. I use it all the time for many different cleaning and polishing jobs, particularly if I have procrastinated cleaning the bore of my Ruger MKlll. The lead cleaning cloth removes very stubborn crud from the front of the chamber. It can remove blueing though if you're to aggressive with it.

GSSF17
05-30-2010, 20:39
Quit using Rem GBs, for one. They are dirty as heck (not to mention other "issues")

I keep pipe cleaners and rem oil handy on any extended shooting/plinking sessions- With GREAT results. I keep both handy on wheel guns and autos. :cool:

adv
05-30-2010, 20:42
Try using lead cleaning cloth. Its a yellow-colored material, most gun stores carry it. You can cut it into patches. I use it all the time for many different cleaning and polishing jobs, particularly if I have procrastinated cleaning the bore of my Ruger MKlll. The lead cleaning cloth removes very stubborn crud from the front of the chamber. It can remove blueing though if you're to aggressive with it.

This.

B.Reid
05-30-2010, 21:15
Try a Bore Snake!

Tingle
05-30-2010, 23:04
chamfer and polish the cylinders. And stop shooting dirty ammo.
How much chamfer? I know GB's are filthy but they were all I could get locally when the ammo started to disappear, I bought about 4K and I'm trying to use it up before I have to use my 1K of minimags. Even though it's dirty all my 22's like it.

I have some lead removing cloth. I'll try that also.

vafish
05-31-2010, 06:46
A bore brush is probably a little under sized for the revolver chamber. I'd step up one size in the brush.

Back in my PPC days I used to see guys with device that held 6 chamber brushes and would allow you to clean the entire cylinder at once. Haven't seen one in a long time and never saw one for a .22LR, but if you had access to a drill press and a 8-32 tap it would be pretty easy to make one.

Glock 17L
05-31-2010, 11:17
The Chamber of a 22 revolver is best cleaned with a .270" phosfore bronze brush with a twisting motion to help get the lead/carbon out of the stair step in the chamber..
I would then apply Hoppes#9 to the chamber with a soaked Q-Tip..
Being a 22 revolver can only be cleaned from the muzzle with a convetional rod & brush I would look to a Bore Snake to keep from damaging the crown, These thing work realy well BTW..
Also running a Bore Snake threw the barrel while it's still warm at the range realy works well in getting the lead out of the rifling..
Also you can make up a pull line from a piece of weed eater trimmer line & pull patches threw the bore, you can also poke a hole in a patch & feed it over your Bore Snake..
Putting a bit of #9 on the snake will not hurt it as well you can also apply CLP..
Bore Snakes can be washed out too, I would suggest Hot Soapy water in a sink as you realy don't want lead particles in your washing machine or dishwasher, Clean the sink spottless afterwards too..
Clean your guns over a throw away surface such as a newspaper & throw it & the lead particles away.. Don't forget to wash your hands good afterwards too!!
My Range ammo of Choice is the Federal 550 Value Pack from Wal-Mart, It's much cleaner than the Remington Golden Stuff!! And it feeds great in my MKII & 10/22 too!

It's amazing how a Wolff Spring kit can tune up a Taurus to be much smoother & have a much nicer Double Action Trigger pull..