Computer randomly shuts down. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Computer randomly shuts down.

PicardMD
05-30-2010, 08:53
I am not very computer savy, so please reply in English :supergrin:

My desktop has been randomly shutting itself down after a few minutes. This just started yesterday. It completely powers down randomly. I am able to re-start the computer, but it randomly shuts down after a few minutes.
Both fan works. Inside the box is very clean. It's cool to touch. So I don' t think it's overheating.

It's a few month old HP desktop.
Intel Core 2 Quad
Windows 7 Home premium.
DSL through one of the Bells.

Event viewer has lots of "information" category stuff.
The best I can correlate is a Warning -
Event ID 4001. WLAN auto-config has successfully terminated.

It's getting pretty annoying.
No, I am not typing on the desktop as it has not allowed me much time to work before it shuts itself down.

Thanks

seanmac45
05-30-2010, 09:08
Have you tried starting it in safe mode? I think you have to hit F8 as it is booting.

Perhaps there is a driver conflict.

Also, it sounds as though you would still be under warranty for tech support through the manufacturer.

doublestack9
05-30-2010, 09:47
My desktop has been randomly shutting itself down after a few minutes. This just started yesterday. It completely powers down randomly. I am able to re-start the computer, but it randomly shuts down after a few minutes.
Both fan works. Inside the box is very clean. It's cool to touch. So I don' t think it's overheating.

Two things to check: First, make sure that the fan on the CPU is working. If the CPU is getting hot it will shut down. Second, the power supply could be failing. If it's not the CPU fan, then I would replace the power supply.

IndyGunFreak
05-30-2010, 11:48
Take the side off of the PC(probably takes a screw driver or maybe even has some lever or thumb screw). Turn the PC on, and watch the fan that is in the middle of the motherboard.. you'll probably see it is not coming on, and the PC is shutting off to protect from ruining the CPU.

Shutdowns due to a bad power supply are also common, but far more erratic. Sometimes 5min, sometimes an hour, sometimes 2hrs.

The fact it is happening after a few minutes, makes me suspect you have a bad CPU fan. Very unlikely it's a driver conflict.

IGF

PicardMD
05-30-2010, 16:18
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm getting ready to call manufactures tech support.

All 3 visible fans are working (power supply fan on top, case fan at the bottom, processor/CPU fan on the side). The entire unit is cool to touch.

Computer still shuts down at random.
Sometimes just a few minutes after start up.
Sometimes longer.
This time it's been on for the past few hours.
We will see.

IndyGunFreak
05-30-2010, 17:22
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm getting ready to call manufactures tech support.

All 3 visible fans are working (power supply fan on top, case fan at the bottom, processor/CPU fan on the side). The entire unit is cool to touch.

Computer still shuts down at random.
Sometimes just a few minutes after start up.
Sometimes longer.
This time it's been on for the past few hours.
We will see.

Hmm... That sure sounds like a heat issue.. just because it's cool to the touch, doesn't mean it's not getting hot.

X-ray 4N6
05-30-2010, 17:34
I had this same issue and it was caused by bulged/leaking capacitors around the CPU.
Here is an example:

http://www.badcaps.net/images/caps/kt7/kt3.html

It is less likely on a new system, but I would check the caps anyway.

To eliminate a software issue, it can be useful to boot from a Linux CD or USB drive. You can download that here:

http://featherlinux.berlios.de/download.htm

How to do it:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/feather-linux-on-usb/

IndyGunFreak
05-30-2010, 17:40
To eliminate a software issue, it can be useful to boot from a Linux CD or USB drive. You can download that here:

http://featherlinux.berlios.de/download.htm

How to do it:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/feather-linux-on-usb/

Not that I'd ever discourage someone from trying Linux, but just given what the OP said, I'm guessing that will be way over his head.

IGF

PicardMD
05-31-2010, 21:40
Not that I'd ever discourage someone from trying Linux, but just given what the OP said, I'm guessing that will be way over his head.

IGF

Yep, way over my head. :supergrin:
I'll have a better chance reading an astrophysic textbook in Klingon.

Was put on hold for an hour calling tech support, so I hung up.
Computer is staying up longer now... several hours at a time. The latest being for the past 10 hours.
We will see.
I'm gonna call tech support again in the next few days when I have more time to spend waiting on the phone.

Ralff
05-31-2010, 21:44
Is it shutting down as in you get the "Windows is shutting down ..." screen or is it just POOF the computer turns off like you pulled the plug?

gdvan01
06-01-2010, 07:01
Hard drive starting to go T.U.?
Do you have any USB peripherals plugged in? My PC goes bat***** some times when I have USB stuff plugged in when it's booting. After it boots and everything loads all is fine.

PicardMD
06-02-2010, 14:53
Is it shutting down as in you get the "Windows is shutting down ..." screen or is it just POOF the computer turns off like you pulled the plug?

Yes, I get the "window is shutting down" warning and it appears to go through a normal shut down procedure -- meaning that when I turn it back on, it boots "normally" as if I had turned off the computer properly. Now I am using the word "normally" very loosely since I can't tell if it does indeed do that. But it's not slow, not "stalling" or anything.

And no, I am not given a choice to abort the "windowis shutting down."

ArmyCop
06-02-2010, 15:09
Mine's has been doing that. We took it to the shop and they found lots of dust & stuff clogging the system so it wouldn't cool anymore - overhead and shut down.

Something simple like that can be your problem.

Take cover off - use a can of air and blow it out clean - try it again and see if okay. Might save you some $$$

PicardMD
06-05-2010, 18:54
OK, I am ready to shoot the desktop now.
BTW, it's an HP Pavillion.

Called HP tech support
Went through start up diagnostics - OK
Opened the side panel and check all the fans and make sure the inside is squeaky clean -- OK
Unplugged all the RAM cards and reinstalled them -- OK
Unplugged everything to "discharge static electricity" -- OK

Didn't work.

So we settled for a fresh systems recovery -- basically reset the computer entirely to the factory initial setting. Yeah. That was fun.

So, after the repeat set up, I got as far as re-installing the Mcafee antivirus software and re-installing adobe reader...

And it's happening again... RANDOM SHUT DOWN AGAIN.

Could this be some sort of HP hardware problem now?

IndyGunFreak
06-05-2010, 19:05
OK.. so it's obviously not a driver/software issue.

If you're certain all of your fans are operating properly.. I'm going to lean towards bad Power supply, bad RAM, bad CPU... in that order.

I had a wire work loose on a connector on a power supply one time, and it was doing random shutdowns like you describe.. ended up replacing the power supply and all was fine.

IGF

PicardMD
06-05-2010, 19:32
OK.. so it's obviously not a driver/software issue.

If you're certain all of your fans are operating properly.. I'm going to lean towards bad Power supply, bad RAM, bad CPU... in that order.

I had a wire work loose on a connector on a power supply one time, and it was doing random shutdowns like you describe.. ended up replacing the power supply and all was fine.

IGF

Thanks.

I'm calling HP tech support tomorrow morning again to mock around further with the power supply, RAM, and CPU. I suspect I am going to need to send the darn thing back to HP...

I found out that if I call during regular daytime hours, I get someone who sounds American (easier to understand). Afterhours, it gets routed to India and I the conversation takes much longer...

BTW, system recovery did not go very smoothly either. Had to do it three times. The first time the computer initialized into a window's recovery error screen and loops into a perpetual startup cycle. The second time we got a bit further, and the keyboard wouldn't work for me to type in the initial user name set up (not a keyboard problem), and the third time was the charm and booted into the factory initial setup and recognized the keyboard.

I'm close to shooting the darn thing... but Sean Connery's voice keeps popping into my head, "Most things in here don't react too well to bullets." :supergrin: :whistling:

IndyGunFreak
06-05-2010, 19:39
Thanks.

I'm calling HP tech support tomorrow morning again to mock around further with the power supply, RAM, and CPU. I suspect I am going to need to send the darn thing back to HP...

I found out that if I call during regular daytime hours, I get someone who sounds American (easier to understand). Afterhours, it gets routed to India and I the conversation takes much longer...

BTW, system recovery did not go very smoothly either. Had to do it three times. The first time the computer initialized into a window's recovery error screen and loops into a perpetual startup cycle. The second time we got a bit further, and the keyboard wouldn't work for me to type in the initial user name set up (not a keyboard problem), and the third time was the charm and booted into the factory initial setup and recognized the keyboard.

I'm close to shooting the darn thing... but Sean Connery's voice keeps popping into my head, "Most things in here don't react too well to bullets." :supergrin: :whistling:

They're probably not going to talk you through removing the CPU or power supply... Ram.. maybe.

I'm guessing you will have to send it back in unfortunately.

IGF

PicardMD
06-05-2010, 20:23
They're probably not going to talk you through removing the CPU or power supply... Ram.. maybe.

I'm guessing you will have to send it back in unfortunately.

IGF

They've already talked me through removing and re-installing the RAM cards... didn't work.

Hope their customer service is like Smith and Wesson -- free return label and all... we will see.

PicardMD
06-08-2010, 12:25
Update:

Thank you all for all the replies and suggestions.

I spent hours on the phone with HP Tech Support, taking apart the computer repeatedly ran diagnostics... and nothing fruitful came about.

Then, I did one simple thing -- I changed the keyboard (because the keyboard got stuck a few times during this process).

And Viola, problem solved. The computer has stayed on for the past 2 days now. No more random shut down. I guess the keyboard was sending shutdown command randomly.

kc8ykd
06-08-2010, 13:36
honestly, that's far past the last thing i would have considered to have been causing the problem. it makes sense tho, a short somewhere in the keyboard, say for the numlock light, jumping into the path for the shutdown button, or something similar.

glad you got it sorted out,

dotsun
06-08-2010, 16:10
I had a case that would cause my computer to do a power down on it's own at times. Oddly enough it wouldn't do it in linux, only in windows. It's just voodoo sometimes. :supergrin:

Pierre!
06-08-2010, 18:12
THAT is kinda crazy... but static electricity has been known to take out a keyboard before!

Glad it was the "inexpensive no shipping required" fix that worked! Performed, of course, by the end user... :rofl:

Congratulations!