Wireless Router? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router?

klt1986
05-31-2010, 07:21
Looking for some help installing a wireless router. My internet connection is DSL and my main computer is a HP Pavilion. I don't think it has wireless capabilities, so what are my options? Any recommendations on brands would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited to add: My main reason for wanting wireless is for my son to play x-box 360 online. Can I run my home computer hard wired to the wireless router and then the x-box 360 wireless??

mattyk6
05-31-2010, 11:30
Yes, you can run your computer with a wired connection and your son can connect his 360 wirelessly.

Most home wireless routers (if not all), have 4 ports to connect hardware with a wired connection.

I have my desktop pc and 360 connected to my router via wire and laptop/wii/tivo connected wirelessly.

IndyGunFreak
05-31-2010, 11:41
Looking for some help installing a wireless router. My internet connection is DSL and my main computer is a HP Pavilion. I don't think it has wireless capabilities, so what are my options? Any recommendations on brands would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited to add: My main reason for wanting wireless is for my son to play x-box 360 online. Can I run my home computer hard wired to the wireless router and then the x-box 360 wireless??

I prefer Netgear and Linksys for routers. Not to say there's not other brands that are good, just I've had good experience w/ those.

For gaming, because sometimes wireless can be flaky, I prefer a hardwired connection. Is there any way you can run cable between the xbox and the router? What's the distance between the router and the xbox? Is the xbox(for instance) in the basement, and the router on the main floor or second floor?

Even though the xbox will be the only thing on the wireless network, you need to read up on securing your wireless network, so you're not providing wireless gaming for every kid in the neighborhood, because that will effect your speed at home.

I've bought this one new about 2yrs ago.., and have been pretty happy with it. Router is in the main floor bedroom, and I've used my laptop in the basement, upstairs, back yard, etc.. Signal strength varies depending on where I am obviously, but I rarely lose my connection. Fairly easy to set up falling the instructions.. like I said, just make sure you read up on securing your network if you go wireless(and if you buy a wireless router and don't use the wireless function, make sure you disable it)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122273&cm_re=wndr3300-_-33-122-273-_-Product

IGF

Ralff
05-31-2010, 21:48
I prefer Netgear and Linksys for routers. Not to say there's not other brands that are good, just I've had good experience w/ those.

For gaming, because sometimes wireless can be flaky, I prefer a hardwired connection. Is there any way you can run cable between the xbox and the router? What's the distance between the router and the xbox? Is the xbox(for instance) in the basement, and the router on the main floor or second floor?

Even though the xbox will be the only thing on the wireless network, you need to read up on securing your wireless network, so you're not providing wireless gaming for every kid in the neighborhood, because that will effect your speed at home.

I've bought this one new about 2yrs ago.., and have been pretty happy with it. Router is in the main floor bedroom, and I've used my laptop in the basement, upstairs, back yard, etc.. Signal strength varies depending on where I am obviously, but I rarely lose my connection. Fairly easy to set up falling the instructions.. like I said, just make sure you read up on securing your network if you go wireless(and if you buy a wireless router and don't use the wireless function, make sure you disable it)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122273&cm_re=wndr3300-_-33-122-273-_-Product

IGF

Same. Although wireless has made big improvements and can reliably support gaming now. I still prefer to hard wire though. :)

unit 900
06-01-2010, 19:13
You can also put your HP desktop on your wireless network, it seems that you mentioned it had no such capability and were looking at options. You can purchase a USB wireless adapter at a pretty low price. That will allow your desktop to be on your wireless network, as well as any mobile computing devices. I have both D-Link and Netgear adapters and they are pretty bulletproof. Here's an example: http://www.walmart.com/ip/D-Link-Wireless-N-USB-Adapter-DWA-130/8087393?wmlspartner=GPA&sourceid=44444444440251161041

Sorry, TinyUrl didn't seem to make it past the editing software

I've seen the older "G" series adapters (they work fine) for around $5 on various internet shopping sites

pilsbury
06-01-2010, 20:24
I have a Linksys router connected to my DSL modem, hooked to my desktop in the teenager's rec room. I run my Dell laptop from it as well as my Blackberry wifi. The kids also have their xbox plugged into it, all works great.

dyvegas
06-04-2010, 07:35
Netgear is absolutely terrible. I have never found any good from that company. I have an Apple router that works well with Mac and PC computers. Easy set up too. Really strong signal that doesn't need constant restarting.

IndyGunFreak
06-04-2010, 07:40
Netgear is absolutely terrible. I have never found any good from that company. I have an Apple router that works well with Mac and PC computers. Easy set up too. Really strong signal that doesn't need constant restarting.

Both routers I've had from Netgear(FVS114 and the one listed above) have been absolutely flawless.

Personally I think if you go w/ the big names (Linksys, Netgear, Belkin) you'll probably be fine no matter what you choose. Just make sure you set up your router properly and set up it's security protocols.

IGF

Sgt. Schultz
06-04-2010, 08:39
Personally I think if you go w/ the big names (Linksys, Netgear, Belkin) you'll probably be fine no matter what you choose. Just make sure you set up your router properly and set up it's security protocols.IGF That's good advice ... especially the part about setting up the security. I've never understood why it's not done by default.