Buffalo Bore(update) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bore(update)

chemboy
05-31-2010, 13:47
I got to shoot a box of the BB 180gr Gold Dots today.
WOW!!
Very impressive, in all my 10mm shooting I have done, this is the first full power stuff I have ever tried.
Quite accurate, but my shot to shot recovery was certainly slower than with the Silvertips.

I am thinking of making this BB load my carry round when I am on my mountain bike up in black bear/wolf country.

But first, I need to shoot some more and get used to the snap.

:supergrin:

Stovetop535
05-31-2010, 18:23
You didnt happen to chrono any of the loads did you?

chemboy
05-31-2010, 18:30
No, didn't chrono. any of them, I was too lazy to bring it with me to the range today.
However, a fella that replied to my other BB thread here said he was seeing 1240 fps? out of his G29.
I did chrono some Silvertips once out of my 29 at 1120, so I can well believe 1250 or so with the BB considering the difference in recoil.

flyandscuba
05-31-2010, 19:27
The last box of BB 10mm ammo that I picked up from Cabela's was marked Gold Dot HP -- but what was inside was definitely NOT Gold Dots... I guess a substitution was made. I wasn't a happy customer - at least they could have indicated the change on the box.

cowboywannabe
06-04-2010, 01:37
BB and DT have been using inferior defensive bullets lately in their heavier 10mm loadings because the good stuff was unobtainable, so instead of making you wait, or listing their ammo with the inferior bullet, they kept selling Gold Dots....but were giving you Montana Gold TARGET H.P. loads.

chemboy
06-04-2010, 07:54
Yep,
I picked out 3 boxes that said "180gr Gold Dot" and left the one box that said "180gr HP."
When I got home and looked at the ammo I could see that they weren't Gold Dots.
(sigh)
Looks like I am going to use Silvertips for carry for now-at least until Double Tap cleans up their act a bit, which I imagine they will.

sgtbones
08-14-2010, 12:13
Yep,
I picked out 3 boxes that said "180gr Gold Dot" and left the one box that said "180gr HP."
When I got home and looked at the ammo I could see that they weren't Gold Dots.
(sigh)
Looks like I am going to use Silvertips for carry for now-at least until Double Tap cleans up their act a bit, which I imagine they will.
I think, I'am going to do the same thing. I have a small stash of DT Gold Dots
165gr and DT Golden Sabers.

chippy
08-14-2010, 12:44
Substituting MG bullets seems to be a common theme!
That's the only bullet I can find locally as well. May get some Hornady next week. IT'S BEEN AWHILE.
Kinda' sucks. MG used to be really cheap before they were in high demand. They are made here and used to go for around $5 - 100 in .357, 125grn.
.40 cal are now $17+ per 100. Wow!
Supply and Demand.

sgtbones
08-15-2010, 20:31
Substituting MG bullets seems to be a common theme!
That's the only bullet I can find locally as well. May get some Hornady next week. IT'S BEEN AWHILE.
Kinda' sucks. MG used to be really cheap before they were in high demand. They are made here and used to go for around $5 - 100 in .357, 125grn.
.40 cal are now $17+ per 100. Wow!
Supply and Demand.

The heck with BB and DT!!!!!!!!! I just ordered some speer gold dots 180gr
from swamp fox ammo.

althor
08-19-2010, 23:33
I just sent an email to Buffalo Bore asking them about the bullet swap issue. I'll post here if I get a reply.

sgtbones
08-22-2010, 12:50
Just received some gold dots from swamp fox ammo. I will test them out monday. (real gold dots).

sgtbones
08-23-2010, 17:35
WOW!!!!!! Real full powered 180gr Gold Dots. :supergrin:

cowboywannabe
08-23-2010, 18:13
the more i watch youtube, the less impressed i am with Double Tap due to their falling 100FPS slower than their claim while BB fired during the same session from the same gun, through the same chronographm gets what it should.

it seems BB is the only manufacturer that delivers true 10mm box flap velocity to you.

too bad its over a $1.00 per round and doesnt come in a lighter weight round.

sgtbones
08-24-2010, 10:55
Very true cowboy,but they are using MG Gold Dots. Try the swamp fox ammo.
I do not have a chrono, but based on shooting BB in the same session, i would say they are telling the truth about their fps.

althor
08-24-2010, 13:15
Here is Buffalo Bore's response about the Gold Dot question:

"Right now, we can't get Gold Dots, so we either use Montana Gold Bullets or we make no 10mm ammo at all. And by the way, I pay more for the MGB, than I do for GD bullets and the MGB are more accurate than the GD bullets and I can actually get the MGB when I order them. Take care."

Tim

Duece McCracken
08-24-2010, 13:26
Wow that seems like a dick-ish response, someone responding to a customer should probably be more personable and apologetic. Wasn't BB just shipping MGB in GD boxes without informing anyone? I would apologize for that, lol.

Taterhead
08-24-2010, 13:36
Here is Buffalo Bore's response about the Gold Dot question:

"Right now, we can't get Gold Dots, so we either use Montana Gold Bullets or we make no 10mm ammo at all. And by the way, I pay more for the MGB, than I do for GD bullets and the MGB are more accurate than the GD bullets and I can actually get the MGB when I order them. Take care."

Tim

Thanks Duece. I think that is the answer we were expecting.

I'm not sure that I would have taken such a defensive tone with a legitimate question from a customer. Paying more for a MG bullet does not mitigate the fact that it is an inferior SD bullet. Maybe he is trying to head off any thoughts that he is substituting with cheaper components. At least the last box I purchased did not say Gold Dot.

cowboywannabe
08-24-2010, 18:33
there is a reason none of the good loaders were using MG when other options were available. its because the MG bullet is inferior to the GD and what have you. the MG was only being used by the reputable loaders when nothing else was available.

for critter defense and all that jazz i guess the MG is adequate if youre wanting a H.P., but for soft tissue shots involving a human adversary it is far less that ideal.

bac1023
08-24-2010, 20:19
I got to shoot a box of the BB 180gr Gold Dots today.
WOW!!
Very impressive, in all my 10mm shooting I have done, this is the first full power stuff I have ever tried.
Quite accurate, but my shot to shot recovery was certainly slower than with the Silvertips.

I am thinking of making this BB load my carry round when I am on my mountain bike up in black bear/wolf country.

But first, I need to shoot some more and get used to the snap.

:supergrin:

Thanks for the info.

BB is good ammo. :)

Berto
08-26-2010, 21:19
I will say in at least my experience, the Montana Gold are a very consistent, accurate bullet. Some of my best groups ever are with MGB loads.
...but none of that means much if they don't actually perform like a jhp.