Do you always use your sights? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you always use your sights?

Ffolkes
05-31-2010, 14:05
Hi again!

When you are at the range practicing, do you train using your sights at all times? I was curious if you believe there is any value to practicing unsighted fire for close range defensive needs in the style of Fairbairn, Applegate etc.

Thanks!

Mas Ayoob
05-31-2010, 17:28
Personally, my training/practice ranges from completely below line of sight for EXTREMELY close range, to looking over the top of the gun with weapon in secondary focus (close range) to hard conventional sight picture, to highest precision sight picture (focus on very top edge of front sight).

As you know, this is a hotly debated topic. I agree with the late Dave Arnold of Guns & Ammo magazine that a lot of the debate would be cleared up if everyone used the same terminology. Some people consider anything but the conventional sight picture from the marksmanship manual, applied with primary focus on the front sight, to be "point shooting." To me, it's only point shooting if I can't see the gun and its relationship to the target at all; if I can see the gun superimposed over the target, I consider it some degree of aimed fire, ranging from coarse to precise.

YMMV. The more tools you have in the toolbox, the better a workman you're likely to be when the job comes by surprise.

best,
Mas