Vehicle Preparedness [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Preparedness

GlockM20pwns
05-31-2010, 23:26
I've recently purchased my first vehicle about two weeks ago. It's a F-150 Crew Cab with plenty of room (compared to the car I used to drive). It will be my everyday travel vehicle; work, school, home and back. I do have a ranch that I will be traveling to often in it as well. I live in an "urban" environment, population around 275,000 approximately, but the ranch is in a very rural area. I will have firearms in/out of the truck, and it will also be used for hunting and fishing. I'm looking to put together a pack or bag that will be my emergency/first aid/useful tool bag. If you had a truck that you had acquired, what would be some of the first things you would do or add to the truck to make it more effective if something "serious" were to happen under the circumstances that I have described to you? Any information would be most grateful.

JC Refuge
06-01-2010, 06:09
Well, it would be nice to have some kind of big lockable truck-bed tool box to stow a good amount of gear in. Throw some good rope and chains in there, bolt cutters, a siphon, first aid kit, some water and freeze-dried food, a small tent and sleeping bag, blanket, change of clothes, extra hiking boots, rain gear, basic hand tools, a saw--maybe a chain saw, sledge hammer, tarp, small backpack ... and I think I'll stop there.

These kinds of lists can go on and on. But if you are looking to be able to subsist for a few days most anywhere if things go "THUD," then these items would probably give you most of what you'd need. Some oil and spare gas also would be nice if you're comfortable with having a can of gas in the back of your truck.

GlockM20pwns
06-01-2010, 10:52
Appreciate the advice! I was unsure of getting a toolbox, only because the bed is somewhat "short" to me. Adding a lockable box would eat up some of the room, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run. Most of the tools you describe are already at the property, but having mobile spares couldn't hurt either. A relative of mine also suggested a power inverter, since he has one in his truck. He hardly uses it, but he told me that it has come in handy when he has. I appreciate the advice, and look forward to reading your future recommendations.