Suggestions on next purchase please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on next purchase please

G19aps
06-01-2010, 08:43
Hi folks,

I have an SA Mil-spec that I had sent to the SA Custom Shop for some very small changes similar to the original GSP specs and this is the gun that I use for IDPA matches.
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww54/APSAbner/SA1911Mil-Specsmall.jpg

Now I'm hooked and I want a 1911 with more bells and whistles including adjustable sights. It won't be used for anything serious, maybe a local bullseye match and target shooting. Considering cost, I have narrowed it down to an STI Trojan from Brazos with their Performance package at $1199 or an SA Trophy Match from cdnn for $1099. I think the STI with the Brazo package will have a better trigger (supposed to be 3lbs) and they check reliability, etc. but the SA I would have to send it to SA at ~$100 roundtrip shipping if I need any work done to it. Currently I am getting sub 2" groups at 25 yards with my Mil-spec that I mentioned above.
What do you folks think? Any suggestions outside of those 2 choices that are in current production and I can purchase from a reputable dealer?
Thanks, adam

Tactical black
06-01-2010, 09:17
I think the trojan is a great choice I'm hoping to pick one up soon in 9mm for cheaper target practice and maybe some competition.

CanIhaveGasCash
06-01-2010, 11:01
The trojan is an excellent choice.

samuse
06-01-2010, 12:37
I've never understood the point of shooting sub- 2" groups with a pistol, so maybe I just don't get it. I shoot IPSC, USPSA, IDPA and local, informal steel matches. I very rarely talk to anyone who wishes they had adjustable sights, a LOT of guys have big, ugly fixed sights in their bomar cuts. If your gonna break into the $1000 plus range, I'd save a little longer and get a Les Baer CI or a PII. The Custom Carry is my favorite.

G19aps
06-01-2010, 12:49
Thanks fellas. I got to handle a Trophy Match at the gunstore during my lunch break. I'd have to break the edges on the checkering. Otherwise, it was nice and tight and the slide fitted exactly to the frame at the rear. I also handled a Loaded Target and the slide overhung the frame by a little at the back and it was a little looser than the TM but at only $100 less than the TM I'd just get the TM. The trigger was very similar to the Trophy Match. I've handled a Trojan before and was impressed as well. Ah, decisions.
Regarding saving an extra few hundred, it's not about that since I can afford a Les Baer. I'd just feel guilty every time I shot it that I paid that much for a gun and would eventually end up selling it.

BlayGlock
06-01-2010, 15:10
I vote Trojan. STI makes a nice 1911 and they have great Customer Service to boot.

check 6
06-01-2010, 15:56
I would echo the comment about great customer service at STI and I say that even though I have been met with one delay after another on the STI Shadow I ordered for my wife and was to be delivered in early May, then late May then early June and now mid June and on and on. I do like their guns and have owned and shot a Steelmaster for almost two years.

bac1023
06-01-2010, 21:23
I vote Trojan :)

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5629/0001690ud9.jpg

Trey83
06-02-2010, 15:02
I went with the Trojan with enhancement package from Dawson Precision. Dawson said they can go from 3-5# on the trigger but recommended 3.5#. I will have a range report shortly after I get it.

G19aps
06-02-2010, 15:59
Looking forward to it Trey, thanks. bac, I did see your Trojan in a previous post and really liked it (I very much want a stainless gun this time). But the $300 chrome job from STI puts it out of my price cap. It's a beaut though.

Trey83
06-02-2010, 16:03
Looking forward to it Trey, thanks. bac, I did see your Trojan in a previous post and really liked it (I very much want a stainless gun this time). But the $300 chrome job from STI puts it out of my price cap. It's a beaut though.
Dawson is charging $270 for hard chrome or if you want just the receiver or slide finished they will do it for $135. I was actually thinking about doing the receiver only but in the end just went with blue.

samuse
06-04-2010, 14:05
Regarding saving an extra few hundred, it's not about that since I can afford a Les Baer. I'd just feel guilty every time I shot it that I paid that much for a gun and would eventually end up selling it.

If you have ever handled or shot a Baer, and you have no problem affording a Baer, you would be owning a Baer and scoffing at the bottom end Springfields. By the time you send a Springfield back for warrany work 3 times, pay for a trigger job, replace the extractor, replace the ILS MSH and have the checkering dehorned, you could have bought a Baer.