Some basic shotty questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Some basic shotty questions

Rusty Shackleford
06-01-2010, 09:18
OK I'm looking at pump shotties right now and have a few really dumb basic questions regarding function and location of controls. I have only a 590A1 for reference, but am looking at both the Mossy 500 and Remington 870 as they both fit me much better.

Does the odd location of the action/slide release on the 870 really matter? For example, am I understanding correctly that after each shot, it unlocks itself automatically anyway, so the only time you use this control is to open a "cocked" action?

Does anyone know of a shorter stock and longer forend that will fit the 590A1? (would save me having to decide between the 500 and 870) The reach to the forend is the biggest issue I have with my 590A1... it just feels wrong, to the extend that I'm willing to go with a cheaper gun (price and quality) if necessary.

Thanks in advance

Victoriagotagun
06-01-2010, 09:27
Does the odd location of the action/slide release on the 870 really matter? For example, am I understanding correctly that after each shot, it unlocks itself automatically anyway, so the only time you use this control is to open a "cocked" action?

You are correct. The action unlocks with each shot and you use the slide release to open a "cocked" action.

Does anyone know of a shorter stock and longer forend that will fit the 590A1? (would save me having to decide between the 500 and 870) The reach to the forend is the biggest issue I have with my 590A1... it just feels wrong, to the extend that I'm willing to go with a cheaper gun (price and quality) if necessary.

I have the 12" LOP Hogue stock on my two 590A1's. Speedfeed also has a 13" LOP stock that is well made. You can put a sporting forearm on the 590A1 but you wouldn't be able to use a sidesaddle. Personally, I would try either the 12" LOP Hogue stock to see if you like it and if its too short you can add a slip-on recoil pad which will bring the LOP to 13" to see if that will fit you first before you add the longer forearm.

mixflip
06-01-2010, 09:58
I know this isnt on your list but here is a thought.

My Benelli SuperNova Tactical has a forearm that is built to slide back completely over the load gate. That means you have the option to grab anywhere from just past the load gate, and forward of that. Unlike a traditional Mossberg or Remington that will usually have a gap where you can see the mag tube and action bars.

Now the new Remington 887 has copied this Benelli forearm feature but its no where near as good as the Benelli in my opinion. The down side is that Benelli's are not cheap and there arent many accessories for it yet. Oh and you cant swap out the forearm due to the mag stop feature.

The up side is that you get alot for your money. Chrome lined barrel, recoil reducing stock, 3 lug rotating bolt head, polymer armored receiver, built in sling studs, oversized safety button, mag lock button, over sized trigger guard and ghost ring sights...all for about $450-ish depending on your location.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/CIMG5291.jpg
Notice the area you can grab just forward of the load gate. This makes for a very short LOP for the arm that has to pump. As for the trigger LOP, Benelli has several buttpad inserts I hear? They are some type of recoil reducing gel pad and right and left hand specific too for a custom fit!

But just remember this $200 Mossberg 500 will make just as good a whole as a $450 shotgun if you just want to defend your home.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/mossberg_500_old.jpg

ScrappyDoo
06-01-2010, 19:34
Mix I've been meaning to mention this to you....

I have to admit I'm slightly "jealous" of the SNT you have... I'm not really 1000% happy with the Benelli Supernova I got, it's basically the Supernova "Tactical Turkey" and I got a redonkulus deal on it but it's not what I wanted, really... I knew that at the time, but I just bought it cause I was one of the guys here who bought a 930 SPX (a few of us all bought 930 SPX's around the same time and we all loved'm....) ... I read for a while about the SPX, I stumbled upon one while shopping, and as I believe you had the same deal, they're pretty limited, so when the chance to buy one came about, I simply HAD to buy one, and I've loved one and never looked back.

Less than two months afterwards, it became even COOLER to have a Benelli ...that is, you couldn't be a member of the GT Tactical Shotgun Cool Cooler COOLEST $ON club unless you had a M0$$Berg 930 $PX *ANd* THEn when out and got the Benelli $upern0va Tactical .... and having had such great luck with Mossberg, and I passed on the Benelli M2 Tac, which is something that fell into my Dream weapon category but I PASSED, I figured I had the money and had the motivation, etc.

But I stumbled upon my particular Benelli on St. Patrick's Day.. Dick's was having a redonk deal... it was the Benelli Supernova, 24" Barrel, fiber optic sight, 3 chokes, SteadyGrip pistol grip-stock (which I believe is the same stock that comes on the US-version of the M4, I've compared them and they look damn close to me), etc.... AND to top it off, Dick's wanted $599.99, the counter kid had sold me a few .22LR's in the past month, would up hooking it up and cooking it up so I could get it for $329.99 ... i SIMPLY COULDN'T SAY NO! and Long Story Short, I've loved it, it's become the primary blacktikal boom$tick / HD Solution/etc at my once-secondary/now-primarry location etc..... And I love BUT.

It's not the Benelli Supernova Tactical, and it's completely not feasible to make it that wAY. Simply the 18.5" BARREL , with Ghost Ring sights, for it is almost DOUBLE what I paid. If I wanted to change to a ComfortTech stock, and/OR the tactcial 18.5" barrel, i LITERALLY would be better off buying the NJ-legal, ComfortTech, 18.5", 5-round , Inertia driven, award winning, ghost-ring-sight-driven-blacktial-boomstick-full-of-bAD*****NESS-Benelli-m2-tac......

Awwwww yeah!

Ferdinandd
06-01-2010, 20:28
Rusty, I currently own an 870 and a M500. I've owned other shotguns of the same models along with a 590. As answered the 870, or most any other pump shotgun, requires that the slide release be depressed only before opening the chamber with the gun cocked. The 590, 500, or 870 will make a great gun, IMHO, if it fits you well. There are lots of stock options out there. I like a stock about an inch longer than what comes on most guns for shooting clays or hunting. For a tactical rig, I prefer a 13 inch LOP, which enables me to shoot the gun more comfortably with my body turned somewhat, rather than standing square to the target.

jhooten
06-01-2010, 20:40
What is a "shotty"?

Odd location of the release on an 870? No, The 870 was first, it set the standard thus the Mossberg release is in an odd location.

The longer forend is okay until you try to put on a side saddle. The short ribbed forend give you much better grip than the something that looks like checkering on the longer "sporting" one

mixflip
06-01-2010, 21:11
Mix I've been meaning to mention this to you....

I have to admit I'm slightly "jealous" of the SNT you have... I'm not really 1000% happy with the Benelli Supernova I got

Lol, I made that same mistake with an AR15 once. I rushed out and bought a DPMS when Obama won. I really wanted a S&W M&P15 or Colt. I loved the gun but in the end I just couldnt get over the fact that it wasnt what I truely wanted. So I sold it and I dont miss it one bit. I added the money to my secret stash sock that my wife doesnt know about and that cash will fund the rifle I actually want someday. I am a Magpul kool-aide drinker so the ACR is on my radar now that I have a sock full of cash!!!

Try listing it on backpage.com in your area and use that cash to buy a SNT.