Remington 597 owners/shooters? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington 597 owners/shooters?


GSSF17
06-02-2010, 05:29
Anyone here have experience with a Remington 597? I heard horror stories years ago when they came out- that they were a jam-o-matic. I don't see a lot of traffic here about them, and was wondering what you guys think.

I have read comments that they are "great" and accurate, and that they "suck" or are a "POS", but then no one can tell me WHY.

I am looking for a decently reliable semi-auto (with a heavy barrel) to use as an instruction weapon for shooters that are new to semi-auto firearms. I would rather not use a 450+++ dollar 10/22 as a teaching tool. For less than 200 bucks, I am thinking the 597 would fit the bill perfectly.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

LAWDOGKMS
06-02-2010, 06:37
Mine has been fantastic for YEARS!

TIP: When you disassemble and clean, the 597 has a slick little floating-action that rides on stainless steel rods, and makes the bolt action slicker than eel snot.

When you reassemble and put these rods back in the rear of the bolt, DON'T overtighten them, just tighten the allen heads that hold the rods lightly, finger tight with the allen wrench.

You DON'T want to tighten these down real tight as they then squeeze and deform the guide rods.

No, they won't back out, because when you put the action back in the stock, the stock, prevents this.

It is my educated opinion that 95% of any reported 597 problems are due to people overtightening these rods. The other 5% is the first-run of plastic magazines, which I don't think are being shipped anymore.

Mine has been perfectly reliable for something like 10 years, with a cleaning every other year or so..

CajunBass
06-02-2010, 07:37
The one I had was just fine. It jammed one time, about the third or fourth shot I fired from it. After than it just went "bang." It was plenty accurate enough for me for squirrel hunting with a cheap 4x32 Bushnell scope on it. I made a few LONG shots with it.

There were a lot of problems with them when they first came out I hear. Apparently they used a plastic magazine that didn't work out. Remington eventually replaced the plastic magazine with a metal one, then improved the metal one even more. The current magazine has a number "10" inside a circle to identify it. Any new gun will have the "good" magazine by now, they've been in the pipeline for several years now. As inexpensive as they are, I wouldn't even think about a used one, unless it was a giveaway price.

I recently traded mine off, but only because if didn't fit in with the rest of my "collection" of wood/blue 22 rifles. That plastic stock really stood out, but it was a good shooter.

GSSF17
06-02-2010, 17:36
Thanks guys- good info. I do appreciate it. Yep- it seems the first (generation) 597s did have jamming/feed problems , which seems to be attributed to the mags.

Thanks again for your responses.

I may pick a couple up.

corpdriller
06-02-2010, 20:52
Fired about 30 rounds out of mine then the extractor fell out. NICE!!!
pos.

blackbmw
06-02-2010, 23:06
yep, i got one, Replaced the extractor with a volquartsen unit, also got the target hammer, and my boyds stock showed up today. LOVE THIS THING!!!!!
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg180/whitneyblocker/001.jpg

GSSF17
06-03-2010, 05:41
yep, i got one, Replaced the extractor with a volquartsen unit, also got the target hammer, and my boyds stock showed up today. LOVE THIS THING!!!!!
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg180/whitneyblocker/001.jpg

Nice rifle! Extractor issue is minor, IMO. Hardly qualifies the entire weapon as a POS if the extractor fails.:dunno:
I have had to tweak many a 10/22 with ejection/extractor issues, as well as firing pins, etc.

Thanks again for the responses :wavey:

jedg
06-03-2010, 05:58
Nice rifle! Extractor issue is minor, IMO. Hardly qualifies the entire weapon as a POS if the extractor fails.:dunno:
I have had to tweak many a 10/22 with ejection/extractor issues, as well as firing pins, etc.

Thanks again for the responses :wavey:

Based on current manufacture, I would and have picked up two 597 rifles.
They are both accurate enough without going the expense of bull barrels.
I have quit recommending Ruger 10/22s as Ruger has really cheapened the manufacture of this rifle.

I have a 10/22 with several modifications bringing the cost to the $700-$800 dollar range. For all that, it still is no more accurate than my two 597s.

Bear in mind that this is one man's opinion. However he did pay $1200 to be able to tell you about it!!

jedg

GSSF17
06-03-2010, 17:34
Jedg, you are correct.

thanks for your input as well.

Much appreciated, folks. Thanks again.................:supergrin:

OMEGA5
06-27-2010, 13:59
Mine has been fantastic for YEARS!

TIP: When you disassemble and clean, the 597 has a slick little floating-action that rides on stainless steel rods, and makes the bolt action slicker than eel snot.

When you reassemble and put these rods back in the rear of the bolt, DON'T overtighten them, just tighten the allen heads that hold the rods lightly, finger tight with the allen wrench.

You DON'T want to tighten these down real tight as they then squeeze and deform the guide rods.

No, they won't back out, because when you put the action back in the stock, the stock, prevents this.

It is my educated opinion that 95% of any reported 597 problems are due to people overtightening these rods. The other 5% is the first-run of plastic magazines, which I don't think are being shipped anymore.

Mine has been perfectly reliable for something like 10 years, with a cleaning every other year or so..

Exactly. If you get one, get a newer model with Generation 3 magazines.
If you buy an older one go to CheaperThanDirt and get a few 3rd Gen
mags for $8 to $11 dollars a piece.
Dano :harley:

ScrappyDoo
07-11-2010, 12:29
I love mine. It HATES Remington Ammo... Golden Bullet ammo is unusable, Thunderbolt is usable in case SHTF I guess, otherwise, it's gotta be Federal or Winchester for cheaper stuff and preferably CCI.

I have the green OD Stock with the scope... I saw a link one time for cool stocks, and even "Tactical stocks" ... I would like a new stock but not necessarily as extravagantly shaped as seen above.

I was also wondering, can I spray paint it for a camo pattern? Possible to just take out the action etc. by loosening the allen screws, and then spray painting the stock? Any risk there?

Or also any other sources for stocks? Thanks!

stevemc
07-18-2010, 08:25
My 597 TVP is the best 22 I own. Being a lefty, with everyone else in the family right handed, it is a pleasure to shoot for all of us. If you plan to train, it may be an option. It's design is a little radical, but the feel is good.

worthit
07-19-2010, 14:05
Great gun especially if you install an ungraded hammer.

GSSF17
07-19-2010, 17:13
Thanks again for all the replies, guys. Good info. I purchased one with a sythetic stock and heavy barrel, and have been very happy with the accuracy and reliability, especially considering I only use Federal 550 Bulk.