Glock 36 Issues Continued....Report [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 36 Issues Continued....Report

SiGlockBoy
06-02-2010, 09:11
I'm the one who bought a Glocktalks members 2008 G36 that had issues. He ran it through Glock several times and still issues. After his complete frustration with the problem, I purchased the troubled Glock and decided to run my own tests for pure pleasure to see why my favorite firearms company could find no wrong.

The tests and report of the whole escapade are located on http://g36mf.blogspot.com/ (http://g36mf.blogspot.com/)

Feel free to read the history and new report and create some good clean discussions on the subject. I will try to field some questions as I have time and hopefully some of the very intelligent folks on GT can bring some more light to this problematic issue with some G36 and now the new Gen4 versions starting to crop up.

I will not answer or get involved in any non-constructive side topics and only plead to everyone to keep it clean and positive so this can help others. I did experience problems like Chris and others I had try did too. So it wasn't the old Limp Wrist that everyone wants to throw out.

I've been shooting Glocks since they came to the US and continue to carry one daily. I fully trust them and appreciate them for what they are. I don't stick my head in the sand though and deny a Friday or bad supplier doesn't get into the mix every now and again.

Thanks and I hope it this will lead somewhere eventually to help the ones with problems. The G36 is a fine gun with a very important role. Unfortunately nothing is perfect.

Thanks
John

cigarlover
06-02-2010, 10:28
Being in the manufacturing business I know first hand what can go wrong and how .001 of an inch can affect the fit and function of a product. We all love Glock and know how good they are. Without stirring a hornets nest by saying yes they should halt the production of the 36 and go back and take quailty specs on all parts on the pistol. But do you have a set of digital mics you can take measurements of barrel throat- frame rails and overall demensions of various function parts of pistol ? Then compare them with a 36 that functions with no issues? Mabey start out there and start working through some issues with form of parts to get to function issues...Good luck and keep us posted

Jim S.
06-02-2010, 14:42
What, if any parts have you changed?
What were the results?
I've never had any malfunctions with my 36. I put a Wolff non captured rod and stock weight spring in it after approximately 500 rounds.
It has gone through many rounds after that. Stock other than the Wolff rod and a Wolff stock weight service pack.
What does the extractor hook look like?
Is it polished smooth or is it "sharp"?
I'll wait to ask more.

1SGMP
06-02-2010, 15:15
Hi
I have had my G-36 for 2 years now without ANY problems/malfunctions. I typically feed it all kinds of ammo, as I do with all my new weapons. I load several magazines with ball, Hollow point and soft point ammo to test reliability. So far my G-36 has been flawless.
Hope this Helps
1SG

SiGlockBoy
06-02-2010, 18:46
Cigarlover - Yes, I have digital calipers and mics and have a 36 that functions. So checking all the data between the 2 is possible and I thought about doing that too. Would love to have the blueprints of the G36 to bump against.

Jim S. - Only part changed after the last factory visit from Chris was the slide stop as it was bent inwards per pics in report. All parts met Glock specs per Glock smiths both times it went in. If the recoil assembly is the culrit being too strong, I could see the wolf version possibly correcting that issue.

1sgmp - I am glad you got a good one as many are. I have one that is fine and this one that hiccups very consistently at 4% with most target type ammo. Future tests will determine if the more powerful defense ammo makes it run better. It didn't cause any issues for Chris. That's why I still suspect the recoil assembly.

bentbiker
06-02-2010, 19:15
I'm wondering whether there is any chance of the following. The empty case, still held by the extractor comes rearward with the slide until the rim of the case strikes the mouth of the next cartridge in the mag. When it catches enough, this bounces the rear of the empty case upward and out from under the extractor. The empty case thus never hits the ejector, the slide fully cycles and picks the next cartridge from the mag -- JAM.

This scenario might even explain why the problem shows up most frequently when the pressure on the cartridges in the mag is at its highest. Would have been interesting to see the failures with 6+1 (cycling with a full mag).

To test, you could put a bit of fingernail polish on the top surface of the top round in a full mag, chamber a round from a different mag, swap mags to put in the "painted" one, vigorously hand cycle the slide to the rear without allowing it to come forward, and lock the slide back. Now inspect the polish on the next cartridge to see if the case mouth was hit.

Worth a try?

SiGlockBoy
06-02-2010, 19:45
bentbiker - while testing with dummy rounds, you can see that happen. The back of the rim while extracting does catch the case neck on the fresh cartridge in the mag.

The G36 has the flatest angle to the mag feed of all the glocks I've owned and seen. That along with the wobble in the magwell allows your pinky to move the mag bottom rearward dropping the front of the mag and only makes the angle to feed less. I believe this makes the problem intensify.

Hotter ammo must push past this issue as it doesn't seem to happen then. Nor does it happen every round. With only 4 FTEs per 100rds, it is only lightly doing it at best.

But I agree that it is a possible issue. That's where the cardboard behind the mag in between it and the magwell has been claimed to solve the issue. Haven't tried it yet.

DLL9mm
06-03-2010, 04:08
I was having the exact same issues with my G36 as mentioned. I replaced the extractor and bearing with the older Non-LCI versions and the problems went away completly. Give it a try.

SiGlockBoy
06-03-2010, 10:01
DLL9mm - I have read similar on this issue and have not tested so far. One I also read was that the SLB of the older or a different model<21 or 30??> had a different over all length that helped the extractor overcome this issue.

Both mine are the same. If you get a chance, please try the old SLB and newer LCI extractor and see if it still produces good results. That could help narrow to the spring/bearing combo or the extractor itself.

I remember Chris saying the extractor had been changed out once by Glock in one of the returns.

I believe the 36 has the olive SLB setup.

voyager4520
06-03-2010, 10:09
Is there any noticeable difference in how high each magazine sits in each frame?

saltydog452
06-03-2010, 10:47
I was having the exact same issues with my G36 as mentioned. I replaced the extractor and bearing with the older Non-LCI versions and the problems went away completly. Give it a try.

What is Non-LCI?... how is it different from other extractiors?

Thanks,

salty

vafish
06-03-2010, 11:17
What is Non-LCI?... how is it different from other extractiors?

Thanks,

salty

LCI = Loaded Chamber Indicator

saltydog452
06-03-2010, 12:46
Thanks.

sd

SiGlockBoy
06-06-2010, 14:47
Voyager4520 - No noticeable difference in ride height. Main difference in the 36 from othe glocks is how flat the feed angle to the chamber is. Most glocks have a good angel to start the next cartridge into the chamber. The G36 is about flat and make a jump to the chamber. When you place your pinky against the mag bottom, it pushes it back and hence makes the front top of mag pull down a little more. This only flattens out the angle that much more. This tends to let the rim of the fired case catch the neck of the next round in the mag. THis either causes it to pull out of the extractor premature and not eject properly or something odd.

highfructosecornsyrp
02-27-2012, 08:45
anyone know what happened to this? Was there any solution found?

voyager4520
02-27-2012, 09:11
Knowing what I know now, I suspect the problem was that the extractor wasn't moving freely enough or for whatever other reason wasn't holding the rim of the casing to the breech face, which allowed the casing to drop lower, and the rim of the casing was impacting the case mouth of the top round in the magazine. Then the extractor came off of the rim, leading to a failure to extract. The problem may have occurred less with "self defense" loads because many of those loads have a bevelled case mouth.

That's just a guess though, I'd have to look at the spent casings from that gun to see if that was indeed the problem. The spent casings from my G27 showed that the extractor wasn't firmly holding the rim of the casing to the breech face, so the casing was dropping lower in the gun. A new extractor and the new 28926 ejector fixed the problem in that gun.

Slug71
02-27-2012, 20:57
Pos.....

highfructosecornsyrp
02-29-2012, 09:22
Knowing what I know now, I suspect the problem was that the extractor wasn't moving freely enough or for whatever other reason wasn't holding the rim of the casing to the breech face, which allowed the casing to drop lower, and the rim of the casing was impacting the case mouth of the top round in the magazine. Then the extractor came off of the rim, leading to a failure to extract. The problem may have occurred less with "self defense" loads because many of those loads have a bevelled case mouth.

That's just a guess though, I'd have to look at the spent casings from that gun to see if that was indeed the problem. The spent casings from my G27 showed that the extractor wasn't firmly holding the rim of the casing to the breech face, so the casing was dropping lower in the gun. A new extractor and the new 28926 ejector fixed the problem in that gun.

That is kind of interesting. My gen 3 glock 19 was doing the same thing...we'll see if my new 36 does as well...

Thanks for the post!

tuica
02-29-2012, 15:51
The only probs. I had with my G36 (2009 mod.) was with old magazines - and attendent followers. These would hold the slide back with such efficiency that it was difficult to release it using the slide stop. When I updated the follower to the newer type (those who know the 36 will know what I mean), the problem vanished. My G36 continues to be my main CCW. And I use Pearce +0 extensions on all mags, with no problems. Good luck with yours.

Bruce M
02-29-2012, 16:16
Sometimes I wonder if G36 issues are part of a reason as to why there are no other Glock single stack pistols.

Jim S.
02-29-2012, 16:52
When you place your pinky against the mag bottom, it pushes it back and hence makes the front top of mag pull down a little more. This only flattens out the angle that much more. This tends to let the rim of the fired case catch the neck of the next round in the mag. THis either causes it to pull out of the extractor premature and not eject properly or something odd.

I do not place my "pinky" on the magazine but actually I place it under the base plate.
Much more comfortable for my large hands.
I too noticed that the magazine could be influenced by pulling on it with your little finger and I thought that it could cause feed problems.
It would be interesting to see if there are any problems with this gun after altering how it is held.

WinterWizard
02-29-2012, 16:53
I have a G36 with about 600 rounds so far, 10 different brands of ammo, zero malfunctions.

dawgchamp
02-29-2012, 17:23
I have a G36 with about 600 rounds so far, 10 different brands of ammo, zero malfunctions.

Ten different actual brands, or ten different brand/weights/bullet types?

mah77
02-29-2012, 21:24
Bought mine on Valentines Day (2-14-12), and it had a test fire date of 2-7-12. Ive shot Federal, Winchester, PMC, and Blazer, all with ZERO issues. Sorry to hear about your problems though.

WinterWizard
03-01-2012, 09:11
Ten different actual brands, or ten different brand/weights/bullet types?

Ten different brands. Federal (Champion and American Eagle), Cor-Bon (regular JHP and Pow'R Ball), Hornady, PMC, S&B, Fiocchi, Speer, Winchester, Magtech, Remington.

And I have shot the Cor-Bon, Hornady and Speer in different weights as well.

So, ten different brands, ranging from FMJ to hollow point to +P. Zero malfunctions.

tuica
03-01-2012, 15:07
Next time I shoot the G36 will have to see how much I "pull back" on the mag extension. Think I have always used the Pearce +0, so no experience firing with the standard Glock extension. Pearce felt the best from the start. Cheers.

SCmasterblaster
03-01-2012, 15:18
My 2nd Glock is likely to be a G36. I hope that all of the problems are worked out by then . . . . .

fastbolt
03-01-2012, 15:24
I don't see or shoot many G36's. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem to be a "popular" off-duty weapon among the folks I see come through our range.

The last couple of them I can remember shooting seemed to run just fine in my hands, using the duty hollowpoints of the time (which change among the major makers).

The owner of the first one complained of frequent feeding problems. It worked just fine when I tried it, but he took it to a friend at another agency who was a Glock armorer. That armorer told him that while the gun could use some cleaning and wasn't sufficiently lubricated, that otherwise it was in good condition and working normally. Last I heard, that owner got rid of that G36 and bought a different make/caliber of gun.

The last one I shot was very recently (although it was a gun made in the mid-2000's, I believe). Good feeding & functioning using duty hollowpoints (230gr Golden Sabre), shooting 1 & 2-handed, slow & rapid shot strings. Nothing out of the ordinary. No pinched finger. Good to go.

The G36 is an interesting model. Same overall length as the G30 (with a longer barrel than my 3.25" CS45, being just barely longer than my 3.75" 4513TSW), but with more length between the sights than the G30.

If I didn't already own a CS45 & an "original" 4513TSW, both of which also use 6-rd magazines, I'd buy a G36.

WinterWizard
03-02-2012, 06:52
My 2nd Glock is likely to be a G36. I hope that all of the problems are worked out by then . . . . .

There are no problems to be worked out. The OP had a lemon gun from years ago. The G36s, by all accounts, have been running fine for about almost 10 years now in the hands of people who know how to shoot, not nancy limp-wristers who think they can manage a compact, lightweight .45 acp. :rofl:

iambrb
03-02-2012, 10:43
I cannot help but wonder if the chamber was at the limit of acceptability, and if so, changing the barrel would do it. Just a thought

Chipotle
03-06-2012, 18:33
There are no problems to be worked out. The OP had a lemon gun from years ago.

Wrong.

I'm the original owner of the G36 that led to a lawsuit against Glock.

See the comments at the site (http://g36mf.blogspot.com/) to see that a new G36 was purchased last year with this exact issue.

The design has a defect that Glock 1) will not acknowledge, and 2) shows in some of the G36s.

Most G36s work fine.

It is fun to throw out the "limp-wrist" label. It takes more effort to know the facts.

Chris

WinterWizard
03-06-2012, 18:59
Wrong.

See the comments at the site (http://g36mf.blogspot.com/) to see that a new G36 was purchased last year with this exact issue.

The design has a defect that Glock 1) will not acknowledge, and 2) shows in some of the G36s.

Most G36s work fine.

It is fun to throw out the "limp-wrist" label. It takes more effort to know the facts.

Chris

It says you bought the gun in June 2008. That is nearly 4 years ago. And your experience is your own and not typical of G36s. You got a bad gun with a weird problem. Deal with it. Stop whining. Just because you had a problem with your G36 does not mean it's indicative of EVERY G36.

By the way, the three brands of ammo listed on the blog (Remington, Winchester and Blazer) are all notorious for being weak. Standard velocity out of a 5" barrel for .45 acp is about 830-850 fps. I would gander those three brands are probably in the 750-800 range. I try to avoid them if at all possible. And I don't care what the box or their website says. Read the fine print. All cheap ammo will say somewhere, "Subject to change" or "Subject to variances." This is their get out of jail free card to manufacture weak ammo and save on powder, in turn maximizing profit. You can't blame a gun that won't run on ammo that is not even SAAMI spec. Try American Eagle, Speer Lawman, Sellier & Bellot or Fiocchi. Stay away from Winchester, Remington, Blazer, PMC and I am sure many more off brands that I won't even bother to gamble on.

Not saying ammo is the problem with the G36 in question, but it certainly isn't helping if the problem can't be duplicated with Corbon +P ammo.

A lot of American ammo is weak. Corporate greed rules the day. Glock made the mistake of redesigning their gen4's for real ammo and it has backfired. Most American range ammo is weak and a lot of new shooters buy Glocks. It's no wonder between the weak ammo and poor grip that a lot of guns are not generating enough energy to positively extract and eject consistently.

Lockback
03-06-2012, 19:20
I was having the exact same issues with my G36 as mentioned. I replaced the extractor and bearing with the older Non-LCI versions and the problems went away completley. Give it a try.

I have the older non-LCI version and have never had any issues whatsoever.

bunk22
03-06-2012, 19:42
Wrong.

Most G36s work fine.

Chris

I bought a problematic/defective Glock 36 back in 2010. It is still the worst gun I've purchased, a lemon no doubt. I know a few guys with G36's who have had no issues at all but you and I were not so lucky.

rich n
03-06-2012, 22:44
Stay away from Winchester, Remington, Blazer, PMC and I am sure many more off brands

No problems with any of this ammo with my G30 but my 30sf wouldn't cycle my duty ranger+p 230 grain reliably or cheaper stuff. Why is it so hard to believe that Glock can make a bad massed produced gun once in a while?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

WinterWizard
03-07-2012, 01:03
Why is it so hard to believe that Glock can make a bad massed produced gun once in a while?

A handful of bad G36s over years and years (and conveniently only with certain ammo and often people new to .45s and certainly people new to compact, lightweight .45s), perhaps, but there is nothing wrong with the G36 in general.

Now the new gen4 G17 and G19, that is another story. When hundreds of people are having issues in a short time period, there is a problem.

BIGBOY61
03-07-2012, 22:35
It is amazing that after the documented history of the problems of your G36 that Glock wouldn't just replace it with a new pistol and keep the customer happy!

I think it would be cheaper to replace the entire pistol than to send their attorney goons into court at $500 an hour to be represented.

We are not talking about a Wilson Combat Supergrade that sells for $5000. Geez, a $500 retail gun that costs Glock about $150 to make.........you do the math!!!

Sad story. Greed over a $500 pistol? Replace the damn thing.

I own a G36 and have not had an issue with it so far. I reload my own .45 ammo and keep it just around 900fps. I use a Lone Wolf barrel because I reload.

tinstar78
10-06-2012, 16:47
Just came back from the range with my new Glock 36. Fired 200 rds . FMJ JHP 230 gr. Winchester white box. Not one problem! Dead on at 15 yards. Checked with Glock when it came in last week,my gun was made in May,2012. I guess they got it right. Slim ,love it. 7 rds its ok,what i had in the service.33 yrs law enforcement always worked on that first shot! I will take the slim G36 in .45 cal. Love it!

fastbolt
10-06-2012, 23:56
Maybe some folks might not care, but I know of a couple of Glock employees who carry G36's. Doubt they'd do so if they felt there was an inherent problem.

RichardB
10-07-2012, 16:50
It says you bought the gun in June 2008. That is nearly 4 years ago. And your experience is your own and not typical of G36s. You got a bad gun with a weird problem. Deal with it. Stop whining. Just because you had a problem with your G36 does not mean it's indicative of EVERY G36.

By the way, the three brands of ammo listed on the blog (Remington, Winchester and Blazer) are all notorious for being weak. Standard velocity out of a 5" barrel for .45 acp is about 830-850 fps. I would gander those three brands are probably in the 750-800 range. I try to avoid them if at all possible. And I don't care what the box or their website says. Read the fine print. All cheap ammo will say somewhere, "Subject to change" or "Subject to variances." This is their get out of jail free card to manufacture weak ammo and save on powder, in turn maximizing profit. You can't blame a gun that won't run on ammo that is not even SAAMI spec. Try American Eagle, Speer Lawman, Sellier & Bellot or Fiocchi. Stay away from Winchester, Remington, Blazer, PMC and I am sure many more off brands that I won't even bother to gamble on.

Not saying ammo is the problem with the G36 in question, but it certainly isn't helping if the problem can't be duplicated with Corbon +P ammo.

A lot of American ammo is weak. Corporate greed rules the day. Glock made the mistake of redesigning their gen4's for real ammo and it has backfired. Most American range ammo is weak and a lot of new shooters buy Glocks. It's no wonder between the weak ammo and poor grip that a lot of guns are not generating enough energy to positively extract and eject consistently.

If a gun sold in the USA won't reliably fire American made range ammunition, then it is junk.

The G36 problems were discussed long and hard on this and other bulletin boards well before your time. It was not the Glock Red Herring called limp wristing that caused the problems. As a result I waited and waited until Oct 2010 to get mine. No issues so far, don't keep meticulous records about how many rounds downrange.

ryan_75
10-10-2012, 08:39
I have a Glock 36 with no issues experienced. I even tried to limp wrist the g36, but it still shot fine. Even had my 14 year-old daughter shoot it and try limp wristing. Still, no issues.

MNBud
10-10-2012, 16:08
Just sold a bi-tone XDs and same day picked up my 36, two trips to the range and 200 rounds, I haven't had any issues. I had no issue with the XDs other than it was too thin to shoot comfortably, great for carrying .

fasteddie565
10-11-2012, 18:58
My G 36 was my EDC for almost 4 years. I put over 4k rds of blazer, Wolf, you name it through it. That little gun never missed a lick.

I often walk out of the house and draw and fire if I have not changed mags / reloaded in a while. The gun FTE. After that, I had the strangest malfunctions, FTE, FTF, probably 1 in every 15 rounds.

What a dilemma, I could not carry it as it was totally unreliable and could not sell it for the same reason.

I rebuilt the slide, bought new mags and fired 500 rds through it, all clean as a whistle.

Then, after that much of a concentration in shooting it, I sold it. (After making sure it was 100% again)

There was definitely an issue and rebuilding the slide fixed it. I believe it had something to do with the extractor.

I miss the little guy, I think I might buy it back.